Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wiki blackout  (Read 5164 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Wiki blackout
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 07:15:17 pm »

You're getting mad people are making fun of you for throwing a fit that your webcomic was delayed in a show of solidarity against SOPA, and calling them "alarmist fucks" because they think you're acting self-centered, regardless of their stance on SOPA. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »

By the way its generally considered drastic to cut off your service entirely.

It is. Wikipedia also hasn't done that; they specifically implemented the blackout in such a way that it's trivial to bypass it. Also, the loss of a webcomic for one day is hardly "drastic" at all.

Also I wont be mailing my senator over the loss of a webcomic page, I will be thinking the webcomic author is an idiot.

You'll also apparently spark a discussion about the bills in question because of it. Congratulations, you just accidentally validated their actions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

If wikipedia wanted people easily bypassing their block they would have mentioned it.  Otherwise its not easy, its just something people who know how to use computers can do.  That was stupid of me.

My whole damn argument is that what they are doing is preposterous.  This is specifically combating their desire to mail congressmen who wont even have a chance to consider the bill most likely.

Also, why on earth would you use the word 'solidarity' when they are fighting something they don't even seem to understand?  The bills are not yet a threat and yet they take such actions.

Also people have little trouble calling other people idiots, its not that shocking that I would 'throw a fit' over something as stupid as what I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:24:25 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:16 pm »

"Why would anyone make a big stink over censorship?  It's not like the bill getting passed is a sure thing!"

Your whole argument is predicated on the concept that it might not pass on its own merit, so there's no reason for the American public (and beyond) to indicate how strongly against it they are.  Do you think all political activism is a waste of time or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »

If wikipedia wanted people easily bypassing their block they would have mentioned it.

They did. You could at least go look yourself before making assertions like this.
From the "Learn More" link:
Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way?

Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.

Also, why on earth would you use the word 'solidarity' when they are fighting something they don't even seem to understand?  The bills are not yet a threat and yet they take such actions.

So... you'd rather the protesting wait until it's more of a threat? Why exactly would that be a good idea?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:46 pm »

Because the bill that has any good chance of being considered isn't at all dangerous to wikipedia.

Also G-Flex I admit that was stupid to say.

Anyhow CaptnTastic, SOPA is so far away from actually happening that they should probably wait to take action until its even on the horizon.  My argument is both predicated on the fact that one bill hasn't even passed committee (people I cant influence) and the other is only going to hurt sites like the pirates bay.  Its hardly censorship to get rid of sites dedicated to illegal activity.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:52 pm »

Okay, G-Flex, he did cross that out and acknowledge the fallacy in an edit six minutes before your post.

I do have to agree that this statement is ridiculous.  If you know something has potential to be a critical threat, you preempt it.

Anyhow CaptnTastic, SOPA is so far away from actually happening that they should probably wait to take action until its even on the horizon.  My argument is both predicated on the fact that one bill hasn't even passed committee (people I cant influence) and the other is only going to hurt sites like the pirates bay.  Its hardly censorship to get rid of sites dedicated to illegal activity.

I believe your argument isn't valid.  You can influence these people by showing strong opinion.  They're harder to reach, but they'll listen if enough people start talking.  The other...how exactly is 'dedicated to illegal activity' defined?

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »

I've got some bad news for anyone that still thinks contacting your local representative does anything these days.

Now maybe if we were "contacting" our representatives with huge wads of thousand dollar bills they would listen. But other wise they literally could not care less about what the serf-class has to say about things. After all, how many people do you think have wrote about, petitioned, and actively protested the hundreds of draconian laws that have been passed in the last couple of decades? How many of them have been repealed? I'm willing to bet not a heck of a lot, if any. Look at the patriot act. Everyone that doesn't have their head in a hole is opposed to it, and yet it remains.

Unless you're willing to shell out a couple hundred grand and do some favors for your "representative" (like the corporations that sponsored this bill) absolutely nothing will be accomplished. This is how the political system works these days.

I'm sure I'll get about a hundred angry messages about this, but for the sake of not getting into a debate I'm not checking this thread again.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

I'm not sure its wroth discussing the effectiveness of yelling at people you voted for.  Therefore I excuse myself from such.

Anyhow, to clarify;  I think its stupid that wikipedia is taking such drastic action against a bill that is so far away from being considered.  Its the weight of the reaction that I am disputing.  I would be fine with an 'oppose this bill!' banner.  I don't dig the whole javascript popup.  That sort of thing comes when it gets further into the system.  When its justified.

I'm willing to concede that justification is subjective however this seems like an overreaction.

Also committee is in large part designed to avoid outside influence.  They will be pretty tough to influence.

Finally;
Spoiler: big (click to show/hide)

e: much manual reformatting later
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:54:04 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »

Read up on Steve Jackson Games, Inc. v. United States Secret Service.

A company developing a pen and paper RPG got their computers seized because that game included 'hacking'.

Now think about Liberal Crime Squad, babies being used as human shields, and nude dwarf children.

The most terrifing words in any language "I'm here to help, I'm from the government."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »

I put forth that a unified blackout against a cause many people see as abhorrent is justified even if the legislation in question isn't 'that close to being passed'.  You'd have to do some amazing stuff to convince me that fighting against censorship in that way is not justified.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

Well it isn't really censorship.  Other than that we get into opinion and I am willing to grant you the stance of 'what wikipedia is doing is fine' without yelling at you.

also;
I'm too tired for more than one Kaenneth, contact me later.  Then we'll see.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »

Okay so it is justified, got it.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »

I'm not sure how to read that.  I concede though that its a matter of opinion whether or not wikipedias actions are justified.  I am admitting that any discussion on that would be futile and pointless.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:43 pm »

We are now officially discussing two completely different things.

QuakeIV actually does have a valid point.  He's disagreeing with the method by which the protest is taking place.

Capntastic et al also have a valid point.  They're refuting fallacies in QuakeIV's earlier, seemingly now abandoned, arguments.  I think.

QuakeIV seems to have acknowledged issues with his arguments, so I think further discussion regarding that is irresponsible unless his current position can be clarified.  Further discussion regarding SOPA/PIPA and their repercussions is valid if it can be done in a respectful and informative manner.

This thread was getting a bit out of hand.  We should try to watch ourselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6