Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wiki blackout  (Read 5163 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki blackout
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 05:50:24 pm »

Hell, half of the avatars used on this forum would probably be enough.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

If the bill is that bad and it passes I'll just move somewhere else when I grow up anyways.
Newsflash for you: what happens in USA affects entire world, including my average european country. You will not run away from it. Too bad USA is world superpower with mush instead of brain.

If a webcomic site is going to get shut down for piracy when they exclusively use content they own and created, I would be rather surprised.
Yes, exactly, they could shut down, thanks to this bill. This is entire point of protest - that under new law, anyone can get bullet. Stalinist version of intelectual property laws. China probably is green from jealousy.

Hell, half of the avatars used on this forum would probably be enough.
Only half? How about 99%?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:32 pm »

If you hate the bill, and can't get you other plans done because your recreational sites are down, write your government officials.  Especially in other countries!  The USA gets what it wants because everyone else always bends over and takes it.

The bills also promote crime by making fraudulent claims EASY, and by eliminating many current technological security measures.  This is because its authors were not techies and do not understand even technical consequences.  Secure communication will be a thing of the past, not just from the government but also from criminals:  Have fun saying goodbye to e-commerce, because trustworthy networking will be over.  But I guess you won't mind using an RSA fob to log onto your bank.  CC fees will go up worldwide (standard practice, just like insurance premiums),  and many marginally-profitable online stores (like geek hobbyist ones) will go out of business.

If you are a webmaster ANYWHERE, five minutes of anyone's false claim can take you weeks and lawyer fees to deal with.  No wonder lots of these small sites protest: This bill lets any punk kid take DOS attacks to the umpteenth level.

The consequences will be far-reaching.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:13:39 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »

I HATE THIS TEMPORARY MINOR INCONVENIENCE THAT ILLUSTRATES EXACTLY WHY THIS SOAP THING IS A BIG DEAL!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:25 pm »

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Uh oh you hotlinked someone else's IP on this site, now because of SOPA bay12games.com is being shut down.   Way to go!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »

But he waited a whole three days for his favorite webcomic to update! This is clearly more important than protesting an important couple of pieces of legislation!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »

You're right, I'd rather have to put up with one Dominic Deegan now provided it means no future Dominic Deegans

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »

Knowing Dominic Deegan, I'm surprised the author didn't somehow incorporate a fantasy equivalent of SOPA into the comic in order to make some allegorical point, and then butcher the job horribly.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 06:37:03 pm »

I just got you to admit you 'know' Dominic Deegan.  You've been marked for life.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »

Okay so you all got me worked up over nothing.

SOPA hasn't even gotten past consideration by committee yet, which means its still being considered to determine if it is worthy for consideration by congress.

The Protect IP act has been 'recommended for consideration' by the committee, and it clearly states in all cases that unless substantial evidence is provided to demonstrate that any given site is dedicated to pirating copyrighted material, they cant even temporarily suspend service to the site.  There is then a mandatory court hearing to determine wether the site is REALLY committing piracy or not.

Or in a more predigested form for you alarmist fucks out there; without evidence, a site dedicated to piracy cant even be suspended temporarily.

I'd like to see you describe why I'm wrong.

e: TBH I was rather suspicious as soon as I saw that wikipedia didn't even try to explain the bills in earnest.  It's not like the bill will pass anyways, it probably wouldn't have even if people weren't foaming at the mouth over it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:00:28 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »

Google's cache feature allows easy bypassing of wikipedia's blackout.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

On a tangentially-related note, does anyone know if this is related to the SOPA protesting?

click for larger version
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »

I'm guessing that is the case.

Hard to tell for certain though, one guy thought he may have just accidentally hit enter.

e: past tense is confusing
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:10:57 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »

you alarmist fucks out there

You're the one that came into the thread complaining about minor inconveniences (wikipedia, your favorite webcomic!) more than the actual issue.  Maybe you should consider leading with a stance that isn't wholly self-centered and focused on the people doing what they can to indicate distaste for an abhorrent bit of pro-corporate legislature next time?  I mean, as it stands, you're basically trying to fault others for caring about something that could affect them negatively in a big way.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »

So uh, I'm being alarmist for complaining about one of my favorite webcomic and wikipedia being cut off?

The one bill that actually has a fighting chance isn't pro corporate, isn't abhorrent, and the other isn't even close to worth such drastic action.

By the way its generally considered drastic to cut off your service entirely.

Also I wont be mailing my senator over the loss of a webcomic page, I will be thinking the webcomic author is an idiot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:14:47 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6