Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: After more than half a year, I can finally praise the miners!  (Read 3681 times)

Angel of fire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
After more than half a year, I can finally praise the miners!
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:55 pm »

I have no iron on the map, so my only choice for armor was to dig down. I hit this cave and got the message saying that the miners found candy. That hole on the top seems to be just because my dwarves don't have x-ray vision as the top shows it isn't hollow. So I dug underneath the cave system and dug up. I got some of the raw stuff, and had to figure out how to process the stuff.

When I learned that I had to extract strands of the stuff, I remembered why I love this game so much. I can make clothes of the stuff! I'm sorry, I am just so excited. Sure, digging down for candy isn't as difficult as getting an industry up, but this is a milestone for me.

The only issue is I don't have many dwarves for a military, so I will have to settle for only my hunter getting the gear. The rest of my military once I will most likely get copper armor if this vein of adamantine isn't that big.

What should I make from it? I already have a breastplate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: After more than half a year, I can finally praise the miners!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »

Don't make clothes. Those will degrade. Say bai bai to your candy.

...Make weapons.

LOTSA WAEPONS.

MANY WEPONZ.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:52 pm »

Don't make clothes. Those will degrade. Say bai bai to your candy.

...Make weapons.

LOTSA WAEPONS.

MANY WEPONZ.

But not blunt weapons.  Unless you're giving it to your captain of the guard.

Edged weapons made of adamantine are the best thing in the game, save for an artifact weapon made of adamantine.  :P

Armor is less of a priority, since the enemies you're likely facing probably don't even use steel, so you don't really have to worry overmuch about your dwarves' armor getting penetrated by bladed weapons.

Focus on edged weapons with the adamantine first.  When you run out of dwarves to make such weapons for, then you might want to start making adamantine breastplates and helmets.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »

Make a sword and give it to your sheriff/CoG and use the rest to make maces and hammers.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »

Well whatever you do, adamantine is super rare and very, very precious.   Dig it all up, every single piece, dont let any go to waste.  Dig it all up fast as you can, before the goblins steal it!!  :(

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »

Don't forget to mine the special-cotton-candy in the middle, that's where the best stuff is. It has a higher... ability to wound than the rest of it! :D

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:12 pm »

Well whatever you do, adamantine is super rare and very, very precious.   Dig it all up, every single piece, dont let any go to waste.  Dig it all up fast as you can, before the Elves steal it!!  :(
Not Goblins, they are too stupid, the elves shall steal it, make Axes/Swords and slaughter all ELVES WITH THE BLESSED METAL OF ARMOK!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

Don't forget to mine the special-cotton-candy in the middle, that's where the best stuff is. It has a higher... ability to wound than the rest of it! :D

Man, I didnt realize the center blocks had purer metal in them.. of course tho.  This game is so awesome!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »

Man, I didnt realize the center blocks had purer metal in them.. of course tho.  This game is so awesome!

For higher efficiency, dig only in the middle of the tube, and as fast as you can.

:)
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:14:03 pm »

Meh, take your time, you should even make your dining rooms encompass the spires, they give INSANE value bonus to your rooms. Just don't channel out the adamantine, use stairs and dig outwards so you can make the best 'lil spire bedrooms any fort's ever seen :3

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »

Meh, take your time, you should even make your dining rooms encompass the spires, they give INSANE value bonus to your rooms. Just don't channel out the adamantine, use stairs and dig outwards so you can make the best 'lil spire bedrooms any fort's ever seen :3

I nearly forgot! But be sure to leave a little wiggle room, so you can engrave the outer walls but STILL MINE THE INNER WALLS *!!bonus!!*

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:02 pm »

Make sure your miners are also novice fighters. You won't want them to accidentally tear an arm off each other while they're mining all that nice candy.

look_of_disapproval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

ಠ_ಠ

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:58 pm »

-.-

I counter your look of disapproval with a look of annoyance.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

ಠ_ಠ
Clearly someone doesn't enjoy the wonders of cotton candy :/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4