Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Search help.  (Read 706 times)

slapdash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Search help.
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:24 am »

Hello.

I was looking for some threads/topics on making dungeons in Fortress Mode that you can send to a friend and have them Adventure through. I was having trouble on what to search for and was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction so I can get some ideas on making a dungeon for some friends. Thanks in advance!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Search help.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

You don't really need a thread for it - just make a fort with suitable traps and nonsense and send it to your friends when you're done ;P

Adventurers can venture into abandoned fortresses.

slapdash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »

Okay cool. I was just thinking there might have been a list of cool things to do to make sure your Adventurers have lots of !!FUN!!.

So traps still work? Like Adventurers aren't Trap Immune? I've only ventured into one of my old forts to test out dflair.exe (which works perfectly btw) but I didn't have a lot of traps to test with etc because I wasn't thinking of this.

If you can even pull levers and such I would love to do some stuff where you cross a frozen water source and have to pull a lever for the next door to open. But pulling that lever releases magma under that ice and melts it so you have to swim back or keep going forward.

I also want to try and get a FB or two for my end bosses/level masters so that will be interesting...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »

Not quite sure on the levers and traps, my Adventurers tend to stay away from my fortresses, for obvious health reasons :p

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »

There is a raw edit to make adventurers see traps.  By default they disappear (mostly because if it kills goblins 100% of the time, it will do the same to an average adventurer). Levers can be interacted with as an adventurer.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

slapdash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

Ahh, that's good to know. I will have to start finding where those RAWs are and be pretty sparing with the traps. Maybe make some Candy Hammer traps or training spears to help not kill them as much. Or make it so if they go down the wrong path.. certain death. Ever hear about an Adventurer getting caught in a cage trap? No way to get out of those I imagine.

I do want to kill them a couple times throughout though. I mean, it's my duty.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »

so if you plan to visit a fort as adventurer, FIRST become a legendary dodger and shield user, OR as overseer, disable the traps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »

You could always do the traps manually:  Put some pressure plates down next to hidden floodgates holding back water/magma, or something like that...  Or a drop into a spiked pit.  If only animals would stay alive once you abandon, you could do the same with a room full of bears. :D

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

There is a raw edit to make adventurers see traps.

Slick nitpick: it's an initialization file edit, not a raw edit. data/init/d_init.txt, set ADVENTURER_TRAPS to YES (near the bottom). It's a bad idea to do this unless you specifically design the traps in a way that can be avoided by an adventurer, though, for previously stated reasons.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

slapdash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

Thank you kindly for that trees.

I was thinking maybe use the traps as more of a moving force. If I want them in a pit I could do a 1-wide bridge and hope they dodge the weak trap I have for them.

For sure though I am going to kill them heavily starting out with traps. I have to. Then I'll pull back the reigns into something more realistic when they complain.