Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best programming language  (Read 2825 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Best programming language
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:39 am »

Actually, for xenophobic, you need C.

And then use features only available in as GCC extensions while at the same time criticizing people that use features that only MSVC supports.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »

Now that we've had out fun - this question really belongs in one of the many threads here, in life advice, or in creative projects. It doesn't really deserve it's own thread.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

My advice would be to slog through C++, wailing and gnashing your teeth through every painful lesson of memory management and OOP all at once. It creates highly-skilled, paranoid and xenophobic OCD nutcase programmers. The kind that get RESULTS!

Quoted for truth.  That's how I learned and that describes me fairly well.  Except maybe the RESULTS part.  :P

Really though, I find that learning how to do the low level stuff like C/C++ really puts things in perspective, while C++ gives you more bang for your time than C.

Hardly makes them the best languages.  Different languages are better for different things.

For learning to program... more modern languages are more forgiving, such as Java or C#, and there should be plenty of tutorials on getting started with them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »

For me definitely C#...It is much better than java (also due to the .NET library) but also has some function approach with Linq etc.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

My favorite language is Ruby, but I don't think its really in a good place for games.  So I'll recommend python instead.  Its powerful, relatively fast and has a lot of good bindings for graphics libraries done in C. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »

Well, not so much for video games, but the best programming language hands down is z/OS or OS/390 mainframe assembler. 

No bloat, no bullshit.  Just you and the machine. 

Yes, I am biased. 

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

My advice would be to slog through C++, wailing and gnashing your teeth through every painful lesson of memory management and OOP all at once. It creates highly-skilled, paranoid and xenophobic OCD nutcase programmers. The kind that get RESULTS!

Quoted for truth.  That's how I learned and that describes me fairly well.  Except maybe the RESULTS part.  :P

Really though, I find that learning how to do the low level stuff like C/C++ really puts things in perspective, while C++ gives you more bang for your time than C.

Hardly makes them the best languages.  Different languages are better for different things.

For learning to program... more modern languages are more forgiving, such as Java or C#, and there should be plenty of tutorials on getting started with them.
Meh, I guess you're right if you only consider the features of C/C++ to be important and low-level. I would say that for many modern languages closures are absolutely fundamental, but C doesn't even support them.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:27 pm »

Hello Bay12 members! I am wondering if there is a good programming language I could learn. I want to make games, so tell me what the best programming language out there is.

Examples: Python, Java , C++ and more. That's what I mean by "programming language".

Asking "What is the best x" will get you into a dead-end very quickly. Besides, if there was a clear Best Language, why on earth would so many programmers have made their careers  with inferior languages?

The best you can do is find a language that suits you.

Is HASKELL easy to learn?

If you want to actually accomplish something worthwhile, be prepared to actually make an effort. Programming is difficult and takes time - often more than people think. It's like learning to paint or draw, with the exception that painting and drawing is intuitive and use of a pencil is learned very early on; programming, however, is more alien.

No, Haskell is not easy. It has been said to be easy for the completely uninitiated, but the fact of the matter is that it is simply difficult, especially for those without a background in mathematics. It is often considered cleaner and better in those respects, but that may not be what you are looking for.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »

The best language is the one that you know and gets the job done. A close second best language is the one that you can learn and gets the job done better. Every other language is irrelevant.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:29 pm »

Meh, I guess you're right if you only consider the features of C/C++ to be important and low-level. I would say that for many modern languages closures are absolutely fundamental, but C doesn't even support them.

Which is something I sorely miss now that I've come to discover them in more modern languages.  It encourages terrible programming practices from me when I'm working with, say, javascript, but it's still tremendously useful.

You can pass function pointers around, but it's not quite the same thing and is a lot more tedious.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 06:17:49 pm »

It is called machine code, bitches. Anything yours can do, mine can do at the same speed or faster. Pretty hard to find a game that wasn't running on this.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »

learn ~ATH, the best fictional programming language ever.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »

It is called machine code, bitches. Anything yours can do, mine can do at the same speed or faster. Pretty hard to find a game that wasn't running on this.

Who needs assembler mnemonics when you can download the manual and compute those hex values by hand, eh?

In all seriousness though I absolutely do not trust myself to write better machine code than a mature compiler / assembler combo could.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 08:42:13 pm »

It's not like you need or want to finish your projects within a reasonable amount of time...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »

Well by the time you are done there would have been some amazing break through in analogy computers, steam will have become all the rage, and all your work will have become useless.
Will be fantastic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3