Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serrated disc / giant ax trap materials  (Read 1383 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Serrated disc / giant ax trap materials
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:55 am »

I've been studying the raws for various metals and glass, and I'm getting some conflicting results. Glass, with its high maximum sharpness, low density, and various other features, is in theory far more deadly as an edged weapon than steel, except for its low torsion and shear strength. Given the torsion and shear strength differences, I'm now wondering how a glass serrated disc or giant ax compares to one made of steel, iron, bronze / bismuth bronze, and copper.

Can anyone help me with this?
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Serrated disc / giant ax trap materials
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:58 am »

I've been studying the raws for various metals and glass, and I'm getting some conflicting results. Glass, with its high maximum sharpness, low density, and various other features, is in theory far more deadly as an edged weapon than steel, except for its low torsion and shear strength. Given the torsion and shear strength differences, I'm now wondering how a glass serrated disc or giant ax compares to one made of steel, iron, bronze / bismuth bronze, and copper.

I think glass was nerffed when the random sharpness of it was fixed. It's cheap to make and okay at cutting things apart. I would suggest you spam them with a corridor of these. But nothing beats a corridor of masterwork steel serrated discs. (well, except for candy)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:35 am »

The most important properties for edged weapons in DF are the [SHEAR_*] properties. The code compares the weapon material to the material being cut (armor, flesh, bone, etc.) based on the SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE of both materials. The damage done afterwards does depend on sharpness, weight, etc, but if the weapon material doesn't have a higher shear value then it acts as a blunt weapon rather than a edged weapon.

According to wiki, glass has [SHEAR_YIELD:33000] [SHEAR_FRACTURE:33000]. Edged glass trap weapons in DF will easily cut through cloth, leather, and flesh, but have a hard time against bone or any metal armor. Glass is a better weapon material than wood though. A low quality copper disc is better than any glass disc.

Likewise, the reason the default obsidian short swords can't cut people is that they have the default stone values of [SHEAR_YIELD:15000][SHEAR_FRACTURE:15000]. Modding shear increases for obsidian to those of glass will make the obsidian swords work properly. Flesh has [SHEAR_YIELD:20000].

Torsion values are not used, or are perhaps only used in wrestling. I don't think you'll see a creature with glass bones anytime soon.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:47 am »

How about glass jaws? ;)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:19 am »

All i know is, it can sometimes be a pain in the glass to figure out.

Off-topic:

I don't think you'll see a creature with glass bones anytime soon.

I've just been playing a lot of both Skyrim and Morrowind (contains Glass Armor), and i've played a fair bit of Rise of Legends (contains glass units) before, and that comment just inspired me to mod in some kinda glass creature at some point.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:41 am »

Large glass golems anyone?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:35 am »

I use glass simply because it sounds like it'd be horrifyingly painful, and I want to punish those goblins for every fort I ever lost. If you stack enough of them up there's little to nothing that's making it through a corridor.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

I personally like using glass weapons in my weapon traps because it's not all that deadly.  I usually have a trap corridor leading into my fortress, with it exiting directly into my barracks.

Goblin axe, sword, pike wielders, not that big a deal.  I'd send my military out after them without worry.  But lashers and bowgoblins worry because bowgoblins often get a lucky shot in and lashers are just plain vicious.  So I like the traps to soften them up before they actually hit the military. 

And I want my military to have something to kill, so I don't just make a huge minefield of dozens of steel-filled weapon traps.   
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:43 pm »

wondering how a glass serrated disc or giant ax compares to one made of steel, iron, bronze / bismuth bronze, and copper.

To quote Dorf Buddha:

"Because it just is."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »

No.

To quote Urist McBuddha:
'Eh...where's the booze?'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

No.

To quote Urist McBuddha:
'Eh...where's the booze?'

Wrong quote. This one belongs in a thread for Dorfs not socializing :P

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »

Ah, but to socialize with filthy elves who unfortunately seem to die from giant discs, you need dorfs to 'talk' to the elves first.

Despite it's horridness and the regularity of dorf suicides from being assigned a role associated with filthy elves.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »

The most important properties for edged weapons in DF are the [SHEAR_*] properties. The code compares the weapon material to the material being cut (armor, flesh, bone, etc.) based on the SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE of both materials. The damage done afterwards does depend on sharpness, weight, etc, but if the weapon material doesn't have a higher shear value then it acts as a blunt weapon rather than a edged weapon.

According to wiki, glass has [SHEAR_YIELD:33000] [SHEAR_FRACTURE:33000]. Edged glass trap weapons in DF will easily cut through cloth, leather, and flesh, but have a hard time against bone or any metal armor. Glass is a better weapon material than wood though. A low quality copper disc is better than any glass disc.

Likewise, the reason the default obsidian short swords can't cut people is that they have the default stone values of [SHEAR_YIELD:15000][SHEAR_FRACTURE:15000]. Modding shear increases for obsidian to those of glass will make the obsidian swords work properly. Flesh has [SHEAR_YIELD:20000].

Torsion values are not used, or are perhaps only used in wrestling. I don't think you'll see a creature with glass bones anytime soon.

I think this should be put at wiki! I'm thinking of some modding and stumbled at all those values. Thanks a lot!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.