Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving my FPS.  (Read 518 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Saving my FPS.
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

What is the best way? I'm considering making a "purging chamber" for all my unneeded dwarves.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saving my FPS.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:44 pm »

Lock them outside during a siege.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »

Burrow them all in a 1x1 tower, no walls. That's 20z high. Surround it with magma.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »

Lock them outside during a siege.

I SHALL NOT GIVE THE GOBLINS THE SATISFACTION OF SLAYING MY UNWANTEDS.

I'm considering a rube goldberg machine... Any suggestions?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:01 pm »

Any suggestions?

Breed them.  Make more. 

To lower the FPS in an evolved fortress, go into the z, stock menu and hide a whole bunch of stuff in there, that you plan on never really needing to see again, like...  Food, clothing, stones, etc..  The less you gotta draw on the screen the faster your FPS will end up becoming.  Keep your dwarfs. Dwarfocide is not the answer.  *shiver*  And turn off your microphone when you mention it, or the little bearded fellas will march on out of your screen and weapon trap your refrigerator.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:07 pm »

go into the z, stock menu and hide a whole bunch of stuff in there, that you plan on never really needing to see again, like...  Food, clothing, stones, etc..  The less you gotta draw on the screen the faster your FPS will end up becoming.

Simply hiding the items will not have any significant impact on your framerate, since the game spends far more time doing temperature updates on those items than it does displaying them on the screen. Mass dump and atomsmash as many items as you can, then maybe your framerate will go up. Also, wall off abandoned areas of your fortress (e.g. old mining shafts) so your dwarves don't have to waste time considering them when pathfinding.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:57 pm »

Are all the pets dead or in cages yet?

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.