Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magical lungfish?  (Read 4833 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Magical lungfish?
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »

It seems the mighty ones are having fun with a little prank. I just had lungfish appear inside my fortress in a tree farm near the river, and this was making me a little anxious about the possibilities of there being an entrance to my base there.

After careful checking, it seems that there isn't a hole in my defenses. Lungfish are just capable of magically appearing inside bases.

I guess this means I get a free supply of fishies.  :D

EDIT:

This happened on white sand next to a stream where lungfish can normally be found. However, this was underground.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:31:50 pm by Elifre »
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Magical lungfish?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »

Lungfish are vermin.  Vermin teleport around and appear randomly in any biome in which they can be found.  Lungfish can be found in pretty much any land or water biome, aboveground or belowground.

Sadly, they don't count as fish your fisherdwarves can catch, and aren't really useful for anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

Lungfish are vermin. Vermin teleport rather than actually pathing around (mercifully, as there's tens of thousands on most maps). Normally, aquatic vermin appear only in water, terrestrial vermin appear only on land, and aerial vermin appear only on land or in the air, but lungfish are actually amphibious vermin, so they can appear on land or in water.Basically, they'll appear anywhere in or near the biome they spawned, even high in the sky or on the other side of impenetrable, magma-filled walls, just so long as there's water or land there.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »

Lungfish are vermin.  Vermin teleport around and appear randomly in any biome in which they can be found.  Lungfish can be found in pretty much any land or water biome, aboveground or belowground.

Sadly, they don't count as fish your fisherdwarves can catch, and aren't really useful for anything.
I figured it had something to do with the vermin mechanics. No fishies to eat, though?  :(
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

In a secondary fort of mine, I always find the little bastards crawling around my catacombs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:40:05 pm »

I've never encountered them.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:49 pm »

They are, like all vermin, annoying. However, they are amusing cat bait.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:32 pm »

they help keep the cats amused.

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »

I've actually had forgotten beasts suddenly appear inside of my fort while I was alt-tabbed despite the entire place being airtight with not a single entrance inside. Not even an unwalled path to the underground.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »

I've actually had forgotten beasts suddenly appear inside of my fort while I was alt-tabbed despite the entire place being airtight with not a single entrance inside. Not even an unwalled path to the underground.

Really? That sounds like a rather significant bug.  :o
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »

Really? That sounds like a rather significant bug.  :o

Might be a rather old one too, caused by the game misinterpreting map borders. I suspect that dragons and goblin sieges also have the ability to do this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:14 am »

Worse than you think, I've seen flying lungfish.

I once had a murky pool on my map, with no river and caverns full of FBs. It was a rather old fort, I wasn't good with military yet. I wanted a safe place to get water, so I caved-in the murky pool, down a total of 11 z-levels. It was a safe place.

Later, I would notice lungfish appearing at the spot where the murky pool used to be. That is 11 z-levels above ground level. They would... "swim" around a bit, then disappear again. I then learned why I fear the lungfish.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:07 am »

Worse than you think, I've seen flying lungfish.

I once had a murky pool on my map, with no river and caverns full of FBs. It was a rather old fort, I wasn't good with military yet. I wanted a safe place to get water, so I caved-in the murky pool, down a total of 11 z-levels. It was a safe place.

Later, I would notice lungfish appearing at the spot where the murky pool used to be. That is 11 z-levels above ground level. They would... "swim" around a bit, then disappear again. I then learned why I fear the lungfish.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

Yes, I think it is now quite obvious that Lungfish are the single most powerful beings in Dwarf Fortress. And should most certainly be both feared, and respected by all.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 01:42:12 am »

Yes, I think it is now quite obvious that Lungfish are the single most powerful beings in Dwarf Fortress. And should most certainly be both feared, and respected by all.

Mind if I use that for my signature?  :D
FOR !!SCIENCE!!
Pages: [1] 2