Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WOW! it's WAY harder to lose than i thought it was...  (Read 2777 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
WOW! it's WAY harder to lose than i thought it was...
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »

So i've got this fort of about 175 going that im sick of. The only reason Im keeping it around is cause of ONE warrior whose got about 135 kills, and i HAVE to stick it out till she's dead.
Well, she just drowned last night, so i decided I'd let the goblins finish us off.
SIEGE! three squads of trolls, 1 squad of lashers, 1 squad of axes, 2 squads of bows vs my 175 dwarves, no traps, and no military. should be quick.

well...
im watching the slaughter on and off, then i go to the bathroom.
when i come back, the word "Siege" is no longer at the top of the screen.
THEY LEFT!
they killed 30 of us and just dipped out!

fluke, right?

well, the next three sieges didn't think so, they each killed 30 or so dwarves and then left.

is this typical or do i just have some wimpy goblins?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WOW! it's WAY harder to lose than i thought it was...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:01 pm »

One of my sieges ran into a ten or so long line of traps and ran away to a corner of a map to hide. I think that the worst wound that they got was as bruised right leg. I even gave them a caged duck to kill, but nothing. (They were obsidian short sword traps, wasn't really expecting much)
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:31 pm »

Every time I've lost a fort to a siege, the goblins seemed perfectly content murdering nearly everyone they came across. Mayhap the goblins are enjoying themselves, and are trying to savor the slaughter by only killing off 30 at a time.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »

i just remembered about 6 years ago, i made 45 candy axes and assigned 45 woodcutters.

might that have something to do with this?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:42 pm »

woodcutter badasses?

holy crap dude!

real men give their woodcutters TRAINING AXES!
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »

Most large forts go down because someone with a lot of freinds dies, and some go stark raving mad, and eventualy a badass goes nuts and slaughters everything.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »

Once I accidentally didn't pull THE lever in time. The siege killed all but a score of my dwarves before leaving. The a dwarf goes berserk, killing another ten. So I have ten dwarves left, 1 berserk, 4 melancholy, 1 insane, 3 lied half dead on the floor, and one baby. Migrants arrived just as the last of my dwarves died of thirst.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:27:56 pm »

Time to start building coffins?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36:06 pm »

In my experience, goblins are pretty merciful. They tend to lose their taste for blood after the first twenty or so defenseless women and children and depart for the hills. I suspect that the tracker that counts goblin deaths to determine when their morale breaks also causes the goblins to lose heart after killing too many dwarves. It's also possible that it takes too long to kill the entire fort, and the goblins have to leave at the end of the siege season.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:27 am »

I've seen some sieges routed because the "defenseless" dwarves happened to put up a fight and actually killed the goblins in retaliation. Mostly the miners and woodcutters do this, though.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:55 am »

woodcutter badasses?

holy crap dude!

real men dwarves give their woodcutters TRAINING AXES!

Only because their beards can't cut down trees, though.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:12 am »

loyalty cascade

/topic

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:07 am »

In my experience, goblins are pretty merciful. They tend to lose their taste for blood after the first twenty or so defenseless women and children and depart for the hills. I suspect that the tracker that counts goblin deaths to determine when their morale breaks also causes the goblins to lose heart after killing too many dwarves. It's also possible that it takes too long to kill the entire fort, and the goblins have to leave at the end of the siege season.
whoa dude.
just whoa.

this changes my WHOLE outlook on things.
i have a new fort in mind...

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:34 am »

Time to start building coffins?

I have 200 or so of them. That are full.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:50 am »

Thank god you aren't being sieged by other Dorfs.
Pages: [1] 2