Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: season save & no EXIT offer afterwards  (Read 650 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
season save & no EXIT offer afterwards
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:30:18 am »

Is there anyway, it might be possible to allow us to exit the game, after a Seasonal Save.  It feels so bleeping redundant, to have to save again, once more, just to get the Exit/Quit command to appear in DF.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for anti-scumsaving procedures.  It makes it more enjoyable, and more failsauce like.  I agree, its so nice to just fail, and not have to feel the burden to save repeatedly, after/before each crazy incident.  But with that said, wouldn't it just be nice to exit?  It would be nice, not?  I'm not saying save, but just EXIT!  To avoid the redundancy of having to resave, immediately after that Seasonal save, just to quit the game, seems like unnecessary head bashing.  Sure, sure, I can ALT-F4, I'm no fool, but I was just hoping the dev here might include some end user friendliness, in the upcoming future releases.  To allow us to Exit, whenever we wanted to. 

Thanks,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: season save & no EXIT offer afterwards
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:39:11 am »

An exit without saving option would be indeed very usefull.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »

Plus, I think the save feature should probably tell you that's how you exit the game. When I first played DF, I honestly didn't know that's how you exit it :d

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »

I had a similar problem too but, it involved my first successful fortress being abandoned...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »

Ya abandon it, and mistake that for exiting the game?  My last fortress just ended like that.  Oops.  I had a nice 2 level granite fortress with 3 kennels in it going.  But lost it, to hitting abandon, when I meant to hit exit.  I guess now that I think about it, it was what caused me to write the thread.  Oh well.

Sometimes, I play so long, I forget what I am doing.  That is why I don't play these F2P games.  They get me suckered in, and then when I go to leave, they direct me into the cash item shop, and I end up buying a hat, because my brain is fried.  I guess that's one more reason why I choose DF for amusement, over the F2P games. 

Nothing is free.  Not even F2P.

Thanks for the responses, glad I'm not the only one, who is somewhat confused by the exit only after save procedures.  I'm sure Toady has a reason, it just seems odd, to me.  Seasonal Save should bring up the exit option, somewhere, for the folks that like to particle up there time, into playing just a season, a session.

One more reason to play a lil pocket world, I guess.  For the fast saving, it makes it easy to step away and come back.  And also recover after a fail.  Takes very little time to filter a pocket world for a nice biome.  Sitting here waiting 5min, thru a Not Responding prompt, is kinda unnecessary stress.  Heck if the Not Responding prompt appears, I'm in trouble.  Its okay I guess if its just NR in the window title.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.