Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landmines  (Read 2342 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Landmines
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:25:27 pm »

I just had a neat idea for some building destroyer traps. They look rather simple, and are easy enough to make that I think you could make a large field of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For a trap that guarantees a kill, you can use this design:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This idea might need a little refinement, since I'm not sure how bridges interact with the z level above them, but it looks promising. With the bridges, you also have the option of choosing whether or not the trap is active.

Thoughts?
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Landmines
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »

Make sure this is built on a natural floor, unless you want !!FUN!!.

Other potential pitfalls...  building destroyer destroys bridge instead of support.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:40:30 pm »

Other potential pitfalls...  building destroyer destroys bridge instead of support.

They can't destroy bridges.
[Signature]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

They can't destroy bridges.

They can't destroy raised bridges.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:10 pm »

Building destroyers mostly ignore supports now.  They can theoretically destroy them, but don't seem to actually bother to do so.  They also ignore bridges, walking over them rather than destroying them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »

One thing that is lacking in this thread is underground traps.  Here's one.

This design takes a lot of space and only works underground, but is very good for keeping cave-based building destroyers (like FBs) out of your fortress.
Code: [Select]
X = wall
_ = floor
# = floor grate
H = floor hatch
F = floodgate
1-7 = water depth
M = magma
U = up stair
D = down stair
<%% = pump (arrow points in direction of pump).
Z-1
XXXXX
XMMMX (lines up with floor hatch / grate)
XXXXX

Z+0
XXX
XUX (this begining part is designed appropriately for the location and may be different)
X2XXX
X2FMXXXXXXXMXXX
XHF#MM<%%MMMXXX - pump is powered from above.
X2FMXXXXXXXXXXX
X2XXX
XUXX (this end part is also designed to be appropriate for the location and can vary greatly)
XXXX
Important Notes:
1.  The pump should be inaccessible from the end that the building destroyer comes from.
2.  I actually have not had this trap be triggered yet, mainly out of sheer chance.  With that said, this concept is not proven.  Use at your own risk.
3.  Build several of these in parallel so that if one is "used" the area you were protecting is still accessable.  The beauty is they can all use the same magma pump.

And of course, I do use the standard surface cave in trap.

I have another design, too complex for a small diagram, that uses a very long 2z high corridor* with floodgates to be destroyed that have a small 2z cistern of water behind them.  In the cistern is a ledge, with a pressure plate activated by greater than 3/7 water.  The ammount of water should be able to bring the corridor to 4 - 6 water depth, but not overfill it to the point where the water reaches the second level.

*This corridor needs to be long enough or have enough flood gates** that the plate will reset and set off the other components before the FB leaves.

**Make sure they ALL release the water because you do not know which one will trip first.

When the plate resets a bridge over the hallway is lowered, allowing a large quantity of magma to pour into the hallway on top of the water, obsidianizing it.

Naturally, this trap can only really be used once.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:12:12 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

Building destroyers mostly ignore supports now.  They can theoretically destroy them, but don't seem to actually bother to do so.  They also ignore bridges, walking over them rather than destroying them.

I was wondering about that. I've never seen a building destroyer go for a bridge.

[spoiler]
.A.
.+.
.>.
.p.

Where A is any kind of building (especially doors, statues or archery targets) and p is a pressure plate. Behold, The Trollflinger!
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:11 am »

The nice thing about the designs I posted is that you can also link supports to levers or pressure pads. With some careful planning, you could force enemies to go through the mines as the only route into your base, and you could even have archers further harassing invaders from bunkers a z level up. I can see this working rather well with my current base.

I'm a big fan of traps, and this promises to be a nice one for clowns, especially if the supports are made of wood. All I'd have to do is set this up outside, use some careful planning, and have some emergency airlocks inside my base at the lower levels in case of clown invasion with another exit leading outside.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:36:54 am »

Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »

I think this thread will interest you: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.msg2561309#msg2561309

Damn, beat me to it :p

Also, I use a variant that drops big nasties into a constructed pit. Works well too, the floors deconstruct so I'm left with a pit full of stunned beasties.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:22 pm »

I prefer traditional Dwarven landmines:

Code: [Select]
Z=1
++

Z=0
^I
Pressure plate is linked to support - creature steps on it and gets instakilled, complete with an explosion that sends other nearby units flying.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:43:12 pm »

I was so impressed with those magma fountains.... my hero
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:42 pm »

Supports wont work (on their own) build a door with water behind it. put a pressure plate wired to trigger from any amount of water in front of it and link to a support. place the support in front of the plate and a constructed wall/floor atop it.  Building destroyers will break the door, release the water, which will trigger the support which will cause a cave in.  Same idea as you had but a little more complicated
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:42:04 pm »

Pressure plates link to supports...