Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army  (Read 6769 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »

Here's a link to a setup for a large collapsible bridge:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87165.msg2369781#msg2369781
How do I make the FB to get on the platform before destroying the bridge leading to it? Will the FB ignore the bridge if a higher priority bait is in place on the platform?

If it destroys the bridges, then you shoot it with siege engines - OR you put a secondary bridge over the area where the FB would be idling if it destroys the bridges and is just standing there...

If it can fly, time for plan B.

You can put chained animals on the bridge itself, if you build the bridge as a floor rather than as a bridge.  If the bridges are open to allow access to the main bridge, and the FB sees a chained creature sitting there, it will normally attack the chained creature first.  While it's killing your chained wardogs, your leverpuller drops the FB, the dogs, and the whole bridge platform 20 Z levels down...

If you want to make sure you kill even fliers, make it a double-decker bridge - put a support in the middle of the walking bridge, and put a same size platform above it.  Link all three suports to the same lever, so that you send a FB & wardog stone sandwich into the deep, even if the FB can fly.  You will want lots of dogs on the bridge though, to keep the FB there long enough for your dwarves to pull the lever.

I honestly prefer more passive methods, but this has worked decently when I played with it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »

The easiest way is to have a narrow hallway (possibly over a fall into the circus) filled with 10x spike traps linked to a lever in your dining room.  This can also be used for cleaning out the circus without risking too many dwarves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:18 am »

I've started some building destroyer traps, which should take care of most FB too. A simple support holding a 5x5 floor up in the middle. Beast goes to destroy support, floor collapses, pick up the pieces
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »

How do I make the FB to get on the platform before destroying the bridge leading to it? Will the FB ignore the bridge if a higher priority bait is in place on the platform?

If it destroys the bridges, then you shoot it with siege engines - OR you put a secondary bridge over the area where the FB would be idling if it destroys the bridges and is just standing there...

You can put chained animals on the bridge itself, if you build the bridge as a floor rather than as a bridge.  If the bridges are open to allow access to the main bridge, and the FB sees a chained creature sitting there, it will normally attack the chained creature first.  While it's killing your chained wardogs, your leverpuller drops the FB, the dogs, and the whole bridge platform 20 Z levels down...

If you want to make sure you kill even fliers, make it a double-decker bridge - put a support in the middle of the walking bridge, and put a same size platform above it.  Link all three suports to the same lever, so that you send a FB & wardog stone sandwich into the deep, even if the FB can fly.  You will want lots of dogs on the bridge though, to keep the FB there long enough for your dwarves to pull the lever.

I honestly prefer more passive methods, but this has worked decently when I played with it.
Thats what I wanted to hear! And a pretty good idea. For the sake of the dogs, the supports could be linked to a FB triggerable water pressure plate with no delay.
I need a trap because my archers wont pick up any ammo at all. No matter what uniform they have assigned. Could not find a solution in the bug tracker.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

Thats what I wanted to hear! And a pretty good idea. For the sake of the dogs, the supports could be linked to a FB triggerable water pressure plate with no delay.
I need a trap because my archers wont pick up any ammo at all. No matter what uniform they have assigned. Could not find a solution in the bug tracker.

Check your stocks screen and verify that you don't have them forbidden.  If you don't have them forbidden, make them forbidden, then let a few steps pass and unforbid them.

If you have burrows, make sure the arrows are within reachable burrows.

If you have doors, verify they are not forbidden doors, or mechanism locked.

Failing all this, dump them all then undump them.

Failing that, talk to people who actually build militaries - I typically don't :P
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]