Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army  (Read 6774 times)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:33:29 am »

I killed the first forgotten beast to turn up at my latest fortress with a single un-trained dwarf.

How? Wardogs.

Gaseous winged quadroped too. Dogs mauled it down to yellow health on all body parts and a single lash from my dwarfs whip decapitated it.

This was good since my conventional armed forces were chasing a wounded giantess around above ground.

I don't know if this is just me, but my wardogs seem to handle FB pretty damn well.
Yeah. That's why.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:11 am »

Retracting Bridge + Pit of Magma

Anything else?

Magma doesn't always kill FB's  And if you have or create magma channels for your magma forges, smelters, etc, then your smiths might get a nasty suprise someday.  It's a good choice for just about everything else though, provided that you don't live in an iron poor region and need the goblinite.

Thats not the point - Its a Pit. Of Magma. With no way out. Dump it so its submerged in Magma, then either leave it there, or dump Water on it. Hmm?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:34:52 am »

Extra points to Frogwarrior, I just saw his magma landmine defences, and they are able to kill nearly anything except for magma safe FB, including dwarfs, if not careful
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:41:17 am »

You know, this thread reminds me that I haven't seen Necro910 in a while. Cries for magma have been oddly absent and it's starting to get to me. I keep expecting him to jump of of somewhere with a nether-cap bucket full of the stuff. D:

Erm, he was banned.
Rerailling in 3, 2, 1
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 05:18:02 pm »

How do your archers get bugged, out of curiousity?
I was going to train an army of archers, but after my dwarfs sreach 50, they forget how to load up ammo. Even in the beginning of a fort, they wont get more than one stack of ammo at once.
I like to use traps, but I like them more if automated. Many of the FB's can swim and/or fly. In case I dont have magma, and if ballistas wont work, I'm thinking about a spiked room, sealing it by some water behind a destructible floodgate or door. The retracting bridges have lag anyway.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »

Legendary miners can sometimes do the deed if it's made of a favorable material.

Once my miner chopped the head off an FB that terrorized its way up to the ground floor
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:01:37 pm by flamoot »
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »

Here's a link to a setup for a large collapsible bridge:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87165.msg2369781#msg2369781
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:40:30 am »

Here's a link to a setup for a large collapsible bridge:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87165.msg2369781#msg2369781
How do I make the FB to get on the platform before destroying the bridge leading to it? Will the FB ignore the bridge if a higher priority bait is in place on the platform?

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

Legendary miners can sometimes do the deed if it's made of a favorable material.

Once my miner chopped the head off an FB that terrorized its way up to the ground floor
Most of my military usually consists of Legendary +5 Miners for just this reason. That and it's incredibly dwarfy.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:02 am »

Necro's banned? Damn. He was my idol. The dwarf who always had a bucket of magma up his sleeve. May he rest in pieces.

Anyway, my favourite strategy:
Tempestium/Incendium ballista arrows + Fortifications + dedicated siege engies + locked doors= !!FUN!!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

If you have dwarfs you have an army! Just dogpile him.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »

You wont want to dogpile a poisonous FB, the dwarfs are not expendable. Someone said ballistas are not effective enough.
I'm asking about a way to make a FB trap.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »

Necro's banned? Damn. He was my idol. The dwarf who always had a bucket of magma up his sleeve. May he rest in pieces.
My thoughts exactly. What happened?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 04:58:45 pm »

My thoughts exactly. What happened?
Terrible, terrible joke.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But that's the point... They only haul approx. 25 bolts/arrows/darts anyway. Check your ammunition page to see how much is allocated to each squad. Then start making a ton of bone and wood bolts(Treefarm remember?) so that you have enough ammo for extended engagements. You'll use around 400 per mid-sized engagement per squad so you can run dry quickly. Marksdwarves need a rank of accomplished or higher to shoot through fortifications at range and they get derpy about reloading when there is low ammo stores and they're in the lower skill levels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3