Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army  (Read 6776 times)

Trepach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

In the current version 31.25, my archers gets bugged when I get more than 50 dwarfs. It is a problem when a poisonous Forgotten Beast comes in.
Sinse FB's are immune to traps, can they trigger pressure plates to activate a ballista or fluid traps?
FB's are destroyers, so I'm thinking about placing a wooden door or floodgate to unleash some fluid upon destruction, so the fluid can trigger the plate. Can I activate a ballista with a given pressure plate?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Killing a Forgotten Beast with no army
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »

There's no way to operate siege engines any way without a Dwarf behind it. Besides, even with said siege engines, you'd rarely kill an FB with it unless it was made out of fire or water or whatever. Also, FB's and anything else trap immune don't trigger pressure plates, so you'll have to use ingenious lever-operated dorfiness to neutralise the FB. And magma won't kill all of them. If you can get it in between some raisable bridges, you can effectively cage the FB in. Just be sure you set them to raise on the right side....

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:23 pm »

Yeah, the only titans/FBs that I've ever killed without an army was one that got pushed onto a cage trap by weaver, and a water one that got killed by a baby yak...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »

Considered cave-ins?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »

You can build a support and then build a wall on top of it in the fb's path, although if it's made out of something very hard this'll only wound it.

Dwarvern landmines, also effective against trolls and demons. Only downside is that the dust cloud from the collapse will affect any of your dwarves in the area.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »

How do your archers get bugged, out of curiousity?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:26:48 pm »

Spike traps are triggered by a lever (or pressure plate) instead of by being approached by an enemy, and can hit trap avoiders like FBs. Having a lure of some sort, like a cheap wooden door or a chained/pastured animal, behind a field of spike traps can be a useful means of killing deadly creatures that otherwise would cause unacceptable losses to defeat. When the FB shows up, have somebody start pulling the lever attached to the spikes on repeat, wait for the monster to walk in, and watch it die.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

do you have a village of animal men?

get them to fight and open up some betting to see if you can get some bucks, or lose some, you will still have doe rabbits though...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

I killed the first forgotten beast to turn up at my latest fortress with a single un-trained dwarf.

How? Wardogs.

Gaseous winged quadroped too. Dogs mauled it down to yellow health on all body parts and a single lash from my dwarfs whip decapitated it.

This was good since my conventional armed forces were chasing a wounded giantess around above ground.

I don't know if this is just me, but my wardogs seem to handle FB pretty damn well.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »

I don't know if this is just me, but my wardogs seem to handle FB pretty damn well.
Until you get an inorganic one made of rocks or better.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »

Legendary miners can sometimes do the deed if it's made of a favorable material.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:44 pm »

In the current version 31.25, my archers gets bugged when I get more than 50 dwarfs. It is a problem when a poisonous Forgotten Beast comes in.
Sinse FB's are immune to traps, can they trigger pressure plates to activate a ballista or fluid traps?
FB's are destroyers, so I'm thinking about placing a wooden door or floodgate to unleash some fluid upon destruction, so the fluid can trigger the plate. Can I activate a ballista with a given pressure plate?

Two things.  FB's are immune to automatically triggered traps.  They are not immune to other types of activated traps, or the Results of reactions generated because of the actions of traps.

1) Magma + Water = Obsidian and everything is dead - except ghosts.  There's a link to a chessboard obsidian mixer on the forums somewhere which is a pretty much foolproof way to kill anything, including clowns.

2) Spike traps can be linked to pressure plates set to activate at a certain level of water.  Set up a room of size 14 squares with a door and a 1x1 alcove with another door behind it.  Then set a bunch of water pressure plates set to activate at 7, then fill the room entirely with water, so it'a all at 7, and release one alcove room worth of water so you have a perpetually swirling depth 6/7 room of water (can't remember what happens to the water in the tile with the floodgate to the alcove - might not even need the alcove.  Could also be done with a 1x1 watersmasher bridge.  Then lock it all up and never touch it again, except when you block off other entries.  Mark the entire area forbidden to dwarves,use burrows, whatever but let the FB's be the ones exposed to FB blood and ichor, not your dwarves.  As time goes on, if you get artifact doors or floodgates you can use to control access to the killing room, use them.

3) Just dropping ceilings on things is pretty satisfying too.  A room with a hanging ceiling, supported by a single support, there are many different ways to handle triggering such a collapse.

4) Non-flying things can simply be dropped about 10 Z-levels and splatter.  If they survive, well, they can be moat pets.

5) Look up the Goblin Grinder defense system.  Very, very nice, simple, and elegant for most standard attackers.

If you want a completely military-free defense system, you want to stagger your defenses, from commonplace to extreme.  I do them in this order - and it takes years to finish them in most of my forts because the defense system tends to become a megaproject.

1)  Cage traps
2)  Stonefall traps
3)  Goblin-grinder type weapon trap systems
4)  long-fall dodge traps, or waterpressure toss trap
(3 & 4 might actually be combined into 1 if you are creative)
5) Then you get into the things to stop flyers / building destroyers, etc.
6) Autocycling spiketraps that your dwarves are completely forbidden from entering without a lot of effort on your part
7) Chessboard magma mixer.

The cage traps allow you to catch animals for foor / taming / breeding / fighting practice / whatever before they hit serious defenses.  Stonefalls beat things bloody and will kill them without creating too many body parts to pick up later.  Goblin grinders, if a large force of anything hits them, tend to make LOTS of jobs for your dwarves during cleanup.

You may want to set up a bypass around the mundane traps for FB's, to keep them from gooing up the place.  This would need to be manually activated.

Anything designed to handle FB's or building destroyers needs to be upgraded to artifact (indestructable) items ASAP.  Doors and structures should be replaced with walls as needed.

Any flow sources need to be designed so that the floodgates are next to fortifications.  It IS possible to build a wall, THEN turn it into a fortification, so you can build your cisterns, set everything up, then build fortifications in front of the floodgates so no building destroyers can ever touch them.  For my trap systems I typically build completely sealed water and magma sources with no possible dwarf entry point unless I deconstruct fortifications.  Floodgates are controlled by pressure plates so I don't have to worry about stupid angry dwarf (or ghost) lever tricks.  An emergency lever system might be kept in a walled up room with no possible entrance if it's important enough.

Freezing water traps in artic extremes are possible as well, but some ice environment critters can survive freezing I think.  I don't much care for artic biomes.

There are so many ways to do awful things to your enemies in DF  :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:57 pm »

Retracting Bridge + Pit of Magma

Anything else?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »

Retracting Bridge + Pit of Magma

Anything else?

Magma doesn't always kill FB's  And if you have or create magma channels for your magma forges, smelters, etc, then your smiths might get a nasty suprise someday.  It's a good choice for just about everything else though, provided that you don't live in an iron poor region and need the goblinite.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 02:03:33 am »

You know, this thread reminds me that I haven't seen Necro910 in a while. Cries for magma have been oddly absent and it's starting to get to me. I keep expecting him to jump of of somewhere with a nether-cap bucket full of the stuff. D:
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: [1] 2 3