Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game v2 - WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO?!?!?!  (Read 25633 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game v2 - NEEDS OVERSEERS!!!
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:11 am »

EDIT: The massive lava pump stack is overflowing, and i think the massive volume of magma continuously falling is the major cause of lag (besides fire). The outlet of the machine is blocked by a mysteriously formed block of obsidian, seeing that there is no access for a "bucket brigade" to get water in there, and i don't think 1/7 forms obsidian.
...ehh...yea...about that...I was attepmting to kill/move Ifeno by watering him/obsidian-encasing him... Didn't work...he was too...ghosty...I guess...
Feel free to remove it :P

Haha! no problem man. one could always argue that it was armok who cast the glob of water down in hopes of killing a ghost.

Seeing that it was placed in with a third party program, I don't think there's anything wrong with me removing it with dfhack. Even though that will cause all the lava to pour out above the base... you know what, never mind. I'm gonna keep trying to turn the thing off.

If anyone knows the dfhack command to force save (without exiting to menu) that would be helpful for the crashing until the machine is disabled. Even better if someone knows where an abort lever might be....

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2012, 09:09:47 pm »

I've been having major issues with fps and crashing. Well past the point where I abandon one of my own games. If someone has a stronger computer than me, they can take their turn. Or else, if the community grants me permission to jam the malfunctioning pumpstack which destroys my fps with dfhack, I will play my turn. First lets see if other people have the same fps issues, though.

This place is thoroughly messed up. If the fps issues are not just because of my computer, I wonder if we should start a Screw the next player over in the new version, after it stabilizes.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2012, 11:13:03 pm »

I've been having major issues with fps and crashing. Well past the point where I abandon one of my own games. If someone has a stronger computer than me, they can take their turn. Or else, if the community grants me permission to jam the malfunctioning pumpstack which destroys my fps with dfhack, I will play my turn. First lets see if other people have the same fps issues, though.

This place is thoroughly messed up. If the fps issues are not just because of my computer, I wonder if we should start a Screw the next player over in the new version, after it stabilizes.

how about this:

Jam it via DF hack for now.  Then, jam it manually, and as soon as its jammed in a legitimate manner remove the df hack jam. That way its still a legitimate fix afterwards. Or if you want to, you can just use DF hack to jam it in what ever manner you normally planned to jam it using dorf power.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2012, 01:42:39 am »

how about this:

Jam it via DF hack for now.  Then, jam it manually, and as soon as its jammed in a legitimate manner remove the df hack jam. That way its still a legitimate fix afterwards. Or if you want to, you can just use DF hack to jam it in what ever manner you normally planned to jam it using dorf power.

The trouble is that its a floating and exposed doublepumpstack(two equals mucho lag) attached to a windmill array vertically. Any way i jam it would irreparably damage it and/or destroy it. the only way I know how to cut the power to the thing is to destroy one of the power conveying elements. With a dwarf, I can just deconstruct one. With dfhack, I have to use a cave-in to destroy the element. the way the system is built, a cave-in would propagate downward, destroying the stack itself.

I'll mess around. something might come to me.

Edit: tried doing a save every couple hundred ticks (that's a few minutes of running), but it still crashed over and over again right before I could save (I'd wait one tick too late).

I'm trying now to use dfhack liquids to spawn some lava on the lowest energy conveying element. But I can't find anywhere what command to use. I type in liquids, and it tells me what I know, that I can place lava or magma or obsidian. but when i look it up, or look in the readme, there is no instruction on what exactly to type in in order to place the substance. I don't even know what language its in.

nvm. figured it out. just gotta type ? after i type liquids to find further commands
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:11:15 am by Cellmonk »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2012, 02:25:44 am »

I tried burning the axles in various places to cut the power, but they take too long to burn before the game crashes. I could play with falling obsidian, but up to four windmills would have to be lost

I really don't know how to disable this in a manner that might look legit.

Is there a dfhack command that destroys buildings?

Can someone with a modern computer test to see if they get this horrible fps/crashing too?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:28:49 am by Cellmonk »

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2012, 03:49:04 am »

I'll try running the latest save although I wont guarantee anything, should I be able to disable the lag machine I'll upload the save for you so you can take your turn.

edit: Where can I find Harry's save?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:20:08 am by Tulx »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2012, 05:39:53 am »

I'll try running the latest save although I wont guarantee anything, should I be able to disable the lag machine I'll upload the save for you so you can take your turn.

edit: Where can I find Harry's save?
Harry didn't play, my save is on page 12.

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2012, 07:06:48 am »

My fps is about 100 60. Only if I could make sense of this mess and figure out what I need to disable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:55:11 am by Tulx »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:06 am »

My fps is about 100. Only if I could make sense of this mess and figure out what I need to disable.
Get rid of the stuff in the volcano and if possible cleaning the cavers would help alot :D

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:11 am »

I just removed the whole pump stack to see what happens, it didn't help with the fps too much.

edit: Now the bedrooms are flooded and I have no idea why!
e2: A nice FB giant leech arrived and ate a dwarf or two. Also deadly blood, don't really want to know what that means because all the military dwarves came into contact with it. I don't know why the fps isn't improving much, I went from 60 to 75 after destroying the pump stacks in the volcano.
e3:
cleaning the cavers would help alot
What's wrong in the caverns? I couldn't find a source of lag in there. I'm giving up for now and the lag issue remains unsolved.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:28:06 am by Tulx »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:35 am »

What's wrong in the caverns? I couldn't find a source of lag in there. I'm giving up for now and the lag issue remains unsolved.

Ignore the Fb and the green arrow...

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09:58 am »

I copied over the wrong save. The save game folder 'screw over the...' contained another folder with the same name and I copied that one because of some fey mood. I'll give it a another try.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

Tulx, me and cellmonk are thinking of upgrading to Df2012. Any thoughts?

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:10 am »

Does that mean starting a new fortress? This really isn't my game or decision so I think people who have played this save before me should decide. However if you do start a new fortress or choose to salvage this one, I am in either way.

In the current state the save is somewhat runnable for me. FPS graudally decreases to 4 and then the game crashes. If I pause the game before that happens, it goes back to 100 and it starts all over, but I guess eventually stuff gets done. It is unplayable. It also crashes when fps is 50 so pausing and unpausing wont work.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:30:01 am by Tulx »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

I'd have thought it'd be nice to wait for Ifeno to give an opinion on it, my personal feeling on it is we should wait until some more bug removal has taken place but once it has - definitely!  :D
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20