Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: reducing the learning curve  (Read 3733 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
reducing the learning curve
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »

I think it would help reduce the learning curve for new players if when you were building a workshop it  gave you an idea of inputs and out puts

IE,  you are building a fishery
requires:  raw fish
produces: editable fish

your building a metal smith forge
requires:  metal bars, fuel
produces : weapons, armor, furniture
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: reducing the learning curve
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:13 pm »

Maybe in a very distant future when DF is atleast in Beta stage. Toady is focusing on the framework first.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »

Yeah, I'd suspect stuff like that will be implemented at some point, but only after the foundation of the game itself becomes more stable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

For now we'll have to be content with pointing people at the wiki/tutorials.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:54 am »

I think the OP is asking indirectly for some clarity of purpose and consistency among the workstations.  Some workstations, not naming names will allow us to put a job in it without the components and those clearly show the components needed, or go right into the task and outcome, whereas for example, the Press won't, nor does it show what goes in.  The feel I get is DF is half-finished.  With these polished, it might become clear as to just what is going on. 

I try and look the other way and tell myself to just play with what is working.  I share the OPs concerns.  *thumbs up*  Great suggestion, Dakenho.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:35:59 pm »

Your getting that felling because it is less than half finished. We're still in alpha.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

I like this suggestion, because it's not just saying "do this!"(reduce learning curve) but gives an example of a way of doing so,  I agree some of the workshops could use some work/clarification, and some already have it, for example, the forge, when you attempt to make steel without the proper materials, it says what mats you need in order to make it.
on the other hand, the farmers workshop, when attempting to process plants, it doesn't let you know what plants can be processed or which process;(to barrel, to bag, to vial), goes with which plants.  So there are improvements that can be made, but this goes without saying.  Also I think when storage items are viewed it should tell you what or what kind of item can be stored in it, (i.e. jug, pot, vial, coffer, etc.) as previously mentioned the game is still in alpha, in game clarification is not on the top of the priority list, thats what the wiki is for.  But I believe it will be improved upon sometime in the future, at least I hope it is.  (not for my sake, but for new players that don't want to read/memorize the wiki)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

suggest it somewhat different

If you press, let's say q, you see "fishery, processes raw seafood"

(b)uild fis(h)ery would then keep a short description in a similar vein in the menu thingy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:49 pm »

suggest it somewhat different

If you press, let's say q, you see "fishery, processes raw seafood"

(b)uild fis(h)ery would then keep a short description in a similar vein in the menu thingy

Yup.  I like Garath's idea.  As long as the game kept all of its flavor rich text, when translated back into English from whatever Martian language its being made in. 

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »

NO

Having 10+ wiki pages open for the learning period is a right of passage. It's not really that bad.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »

just a thought guys, simmer down, just a suggestion for WHEN we get to that point.   
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:51:31 pm »

NO

Having 10+ wiki pages open for the learning period is a right of passage. It's not really that bad.

This is the kind of elitist attitude that's bad for the game,  just because we had to learn the hard way doesn't mean everyone should have to until the end of time
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »

NO

This is the kind of elitist attitude that's bad for the game,  just because we had to learn the hard way doesn't mean everyone should have to until the end of time

Most people I know liked the challenge. It's not really that bad even. Most things are fairly self-explanatory. EVE has a much higher learning curve, and there are still idiots in that game.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:59 pm »

It's not really that bad.

I always thought a game was bad if it didn't play out in a self contained sort of way. 

When WOW got to the point where exploiters were posting details per mob, as to what they dropped and their average worth, in silver/gold, whatever, on a foreign website.  That's when it got bad.  A competitive PvP in WoW had to lookup the loot profiles and drop rates of a bosses, beforehand, long beforehand.   Many players just decided against try instances because of what some exploiters wiki, or cheat site said.  I decided to leave then.  Thats also about when they merged the communities to save cash.  I'd look around in Undercity, and see dudes in full sets of uberness, and no proof that they even earned them. 

That's when the gaming part, became full of failsauce.  Yeah, I coveted nice gear, who doesn't.  But I coveted fairplay more.  And some of those new faces seemed to have pretty shady actions.  I started to believe the rumors about the Blizzard community.  As a bunch of cheaters, at that point.  There is just something exciting and surprising, about looting something new, or doing something that isn't in the mold, or cookie cutter tradition, or something that... that isn't completely described out in black and white on some outside cheat site in full detail. 

When a game comes to that, its not a game, its a course of study.  I like having some background to see, and some strategy on the wiki, but I don't want to find a walkthru, or need a walkthru to begin to understand it.  For me, I learned it watching a YouTube video.  *love* CaptnDuck!  He really lessoned the learning curve for me.  But once ya get the menu options down pat, there isn't much to learn, but to accept the inevitable failure.  Why?  Because failure is the only endgame worthy of mention, otherwise, its just not random enough.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

I think perhaps you need to look up the meaning of the term 'exploiters' in regards to computer games.

Also, 'foreign website'? It's the internet! This forum is filled with people from a hundred countries or more.
Pages: [1] 2