Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunt for small creatures.  (Read 1617 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunt for small creatures.
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:52 pm »

I have a dwarf digging a big pit, and he's been at it for quite a while, getting hungry and thirsty. Now he's both starving and dehydrated, but he only has to literally break open one wall and he can path back to the fort for drink and food. Yet he cancelled the dig operation and started hunting for small creatures and refuses to dig further...
Feeling down? Click Here!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt for small creatures.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:48 pm »

someone else will have to do it for him
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »

I have a dwarf digging a big pit, and he's been at it for quite a while, getting hungry and thirsty. Now he's both starving and dehydrated, but he only has to literally break open one wall and he can path back to the fort for drink and food. Yet he cancelled the dig operation and started hunting for small creatures and refuses to dig further...

Make sure he can reach the fort's food supplies. Dwarves will only get that hungry or thirsty if they can't reach food or drink.
He's going to die soon.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:31:11 pm »

Make sure he can reach the fort's food supplies. Dwarves will only get that hungry or thirsty if they can't reach food or drink.
He's going to die soon.
I think the problem is that he's digging a pit so until it's complete he's trapped. I had dwarves digging 10z channels straight down to make a mass pit and one of them went on break 5 z's in.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »

when I dig sheer-walled pits I use stockpiles using the (t)ake from stockpiles command to get some booze and food at the top of where I'll be digging. The food has to be forbidden and the stockpile removed before digging as it is a building so the floor under the stockpile won't be removed (cave-ins). Once the miners are trapped in the pit you un-forbid the food for them.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »

I tried something similar. I put a garbage zone atop a bridge I built over the pit, dumped some food on it, and then I deconstructed the bridge. I thought the food would fall down into the pit, but it either pulverized into nothing when it hit the ground, or it just simply disappeared =/

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

I just make sure there is a way out and take down the scaffolding later
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:00 pm »

designate a garbage zone over the pit, dump some food down to him so he can get back to work.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27:22 pm »

designate a garbage zone over the pit, dump some food down to him so he can get back to work.

Oh... I can put zones over empty space?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:55 pm »

Oh... I can put zones over empty space?
You can designate a pit/pond over an empty space, if you have a garbage dump designated directly beside an empty space your dwarves take the hint and throw the garbage in the hole.