Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cyclope visiting me while I am completely unprepared... What to do?  (Read 3532 times)

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I have a 50 dwarves fortress, with no access to any ore good for weapons/armors. There are only 3 dwarves that have any fighting experience (well, I also have 2 hunters, so make it 5), and a grizzly I have trained for war. The 3 dwarves in the military just started their training (and I never used training rooms, as it feels a little like cheating), so they are pathetic, and they don't even have the necessary equipment. I have a drawbridge and a single entrance, so I can always retreat in the fortress, but I guess that would leave me without any chance to get metal from merchants (or to get any migrants with some war experience), so I could only hope to strike the candy, hoping it isn't hollow... I am pretty scared, since I have this scary ability of getting hollow ones 8 times out of 10, so I was wondering what else could I do? maybe start setting up traps  right inside the fort (once I close myself in) and using glass to make weapons to use in traps? I am generally pretty bad when it comes to use the military squads, so I always end up dead in very nasty ways... But I would like to do something better, this time.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Cyclope visiting me while I am completely unprepared... What to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

Raise the drawbridge.  Build cage traps across the inside of the drawbridge.  Lower the drawbridge.  The cyclops will walk in, step on the cage trap, and be trapped.  Enjoy your new dining room centerpiece.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »

I'm not sure if megabeast attacks impede caravaans. If they don't
A.Let the guards kill it.
B. If you have wood make cross bows and bolts, then build fortifications to shoot through, this is proven defence.
C. The good stuff.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

Raise the drawbridge.  Build cage traps across the inside of the drawbridge.  Lower the drawbridge.  The cyclops will walk in, step on the cage trap, and be trapped.  Enjoy your new dining room centerpiece.

Then make an arena and throw in prisioners until it is legendary in most combat skills.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:13 pm »

Cyclopes aren't actually uber badassses. I had 10 unarmed migrants mob one and beat it to death with no casualties.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »

Can you breed these things? If so, try to catch more than one.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »

Dorf Rush!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »

Put your entire pop into the military and zerg rush the big guy. Some one is bound to get a lucky hit in. And assign a couple people to use axes or picks. Doesn't matter how crappy they are.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:11 pm »

They can be catched with just a normal trap? No other requirements? Then it's a piece of cake!

I'm not sure if megabeast attacks impede caravaans. If they don't
A.Let the guards kill it.
B. If you have wood make cross bows and bolts, then build fortifications to shoot through, this is proven defence.
C. The good stuff.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think they should attack caravans, or at least the caravans guards should attack them (I think... Anyone can confirm this?) I already have in place a couple of fortifications, (they are located in the back of the central corridor leading to my fort). I was planning on using them for ballistas, once I made them, but I guess they can be used that way too (I have two bridges, the first one raises, the second one retracts (both have a moat, of course) so that I could trap them inside and shoot them, if needs be.

Then make an arena and throw in prisioners until it is legendary in most combat skills.

If I ever make an arena, I will have my military at full capacity, first... I am a chicken, I am afraid (and I tend to make silly mistakes during planning, so I am trying to be extra careful with everything, lately).

Cyclopes aren't actually uber badassses. I had 10 unarmed migrants mob one and beat it to death with no casualties.

Eh, eh, I usually get my ass handed by pretty much everything (with the only exception of badgers... For some reason, they never really attack my dwarves, it seems), so I'd need to have a horde ready, before attempting that.

Can you breed these things? If so, try to catch more than one.

If I can, I'll try!  :D

Dorf Rush!

Put your entire pop into the military and zerg rush the big guy. Some one is bound to get a lucky hit in. And assign a couple people to use axes or picks. Doesn't matter how crappy they are.

I care for my Urists, no suicidal attacks (unless it's against each other, that's cool by me).

Thanks to everyone for your help. I will try the caging experiment, to see if I can get one of these... Does he need food, or is he fine indefinitely, if I leave him in a cage?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:01 pm »

mega beasts and semi-mega beasts can be caught with cages. Titans and FB can't.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »

You can even cage a bronze colossus o.o there huge!

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:58 pm »

Wow, I guess that makes using cages way overpowered... Anyway, I called my dwarves back in the fort, and I was about to raise the bridge, and then... Migrants! Why now of all times!?!? I hope I don't lose anyone useful this time... And I'll need to bury them, afterward... Maybe I'll have to add them to a squad, after all...

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:15:17 pm »

or you can make a wall to make migrants stay out the fort and then let them in when your ready

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »

If you want to deal with the issue at more 'leisure', engineer something behind your (currently closed) entrance, or behind another potential entry that you haven't opened yet, a long-ish winding route with drawbridges at either end for isolation purposes.  Then withdraw your workforce further in, open your entrance (or breach this new entryway, and impress upon that worker the need to start doing something else well inside the fortress immediately) and if the Cyclops is bothered at all he'll wander into this prepared area, you can pull the lever to make the isolating drawbridges to raise/retract and then you can get on with life.

I suggest something like

Code: [Select]
v               v
#################
=.=...=...=...=.=
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#...#...#...#...#
#################

Scale according to your opportunity, probably doesn't need to be anything like that size, whether you dig it out or construct it above-ground with walls.

#: walls; .: floors; =: retracting, with the two bridges pointed to with the 'v' being the isolation ones, and the others (if needed, else make those spots just wall) being the 'quick escape' route of any worker that's needed to  quickly travel through, set to a second lever that's pulled as soon as said worker has dashed through the short-cut.  (Or all but done so, if you're cutting it fine... :) )

Below all the bridges, make sure there are no ramps, of course.

Above this level set Fortifications over the 'path' and then if/when you get archers up there they can still fire down on whatever is trapped (also works for goblin attack squads and other enemies, and for some enemies a tethered sacrificial creature or a building that can be toppled might be required), without risk of falling down, themselves.

It's also possible that you might use such a device to entice enemies in one direction so that the likes of your recent migrants can wander along into another entrance, but that heavily depends of relative positions of each party and the fortress entrances.  Plus not having to construct it very very quickly given you haven't done so already. :)

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

or you can make a wall to make migrants stay out the fort and then let them in when your ready

I am not sure what you mean. I am already closed in, with the moat he can't reach me. And if you are talking about the migrants building anything, they wouldn't have access to stones, and I am worried about them right now (fortunately, the cyclope is currently having too much fun chasing and killing my livestock, so they are still fine for now...

To Starver: Migrants are idly waiting their doom right now, since I closed the only path to my meeting area... I will try to entice them by lowering the bridge, hoping my goats and cows will keep the cyclope busy enough (of course, if he gets too close, the migrants will have to deal with it by themselves...), then I will see what can I do.

Edit: Too late, the cyclope noticed them. I drafted them into the military, then the cyclope turned back to livestock, and now I have the chasing each other like in a Benny Hill show... I should listen to the main theme of said show, right now...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:36:28 pm by mdqp »
Pages: [1] 2