Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the number of dwarves you have when your FPS takes that big dive?

10-50
- 4 (4.6%)
50-100
- 15 (17.2%)
100-150
- 33 (37.9%)
200+
- 24 (27.6%)
7000, you mad?
- 11 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many dwarves does it take to kill your FPS?  (Read 4485 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many dwarves does it take to kill your FPS?
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:40:32 am »

Just out of pure curiosity.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many dwarves does it take to kill your FPS?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:46 am »

I find fortress layout makes a huge difference.  I had 100 dwarves slowing down my fortress while I was migraing everything down to the permanent fort in the caverns.  After they were all moved, ihad up to 220 dwarves at full speed (temp and weather off).

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:08:59 am »

To me it is more related to the stage of the fortress - e.g. I start to do FPS not-so-wise things (moving various liquids around!) once I have done the "important" stuff (defense, military, etc.), which seems to correspond to 100+ dwarves. And also the animals start to explode in numbers at that time as well. Oh and did I mention all the stockpiles overflowing with various crap?
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:02 am »

Currently have 90-ish dorfs in my fort, and things seem to be going in a quite acceptable speed. I haven't messed with pumpstacks in said fort, however.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »

150-200. >_>

That was about how much I had in my last 40d fort before I got below 1 FPS.

Mind you the 100-story mountain I embarked on and used every level of probably didn't help.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »

To make it unplayable it usually takes 200 dwarves, or over 150, depending on layout/junk lying around/cat infestation levels.

I usually keep my fortresses below 100 if I can, then I can keep my fps between 35-45. Recently I just commited a kitten magmacaust to save my fps, 50 kittens into the magma moat  8)

Edit: silly typo.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »

What do you consider killed...? I have 200+ dwarves at the moment. The only time my FPS hits 1 is when there's a big siege.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

Well, to utterly kill it through dorf-count alone it's something like 150, but in practice it is more like 100-120 since that is when other FPS draining things start to coordinate to kill me. The FPS stops being fun to play with after about 80 (since that's when it starts dipping below 20-30,) and I habitually play with a 50 dorf cap so I can play around with exotic animal menageries, fun with fluids, etc.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

I've never actually had a fortress get my fps down to under 50 or so. That was with about
 220 Dwarves or something. Nowadays, I notice that if I put temp off, then I can manage
speeds up to 700 fps with about 40-60 Dwarves. I almost wish I was fucking kidding; my
computer isn't even that good to begin with, but temp off? makes a massive difference for me.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:41 pm »

On my old computer, I managed to get my fps down to 3.  At the time, all the following happened together to permanently hobble the framerate:
50-z magma pump stack
~200 dwarves + ~100 animals
at least 15 fully excavated levels
and finally, most laggy of all:
I dug out a 3-tile-wide moat all the way around my 4*4 embark, then connected it to the river.  The water was constantly changing all around the moat, and the sheer strain of all those fluid calculations brought my gameplay to a crawl.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

With my current laptop I can usually handle a 4x4 fort with 200 dwarves and still maintain about a 20-30 FPS depending on other factors, and I can usually handle a 100ish dwarf fort with about 50-80 FPS (once again depending on other factors). Also note that this is with nothing turned off, so temperature, weather, and everything else is still on. It also helped a lot once I managed to get my graphics set up right (since it allows you to use a second core for graphics calculations) and made an even bigger difference when I realized I could stop spotlight from indexing all of DF's files (this bought me a 20 dwarf FPS boost, seriously!). Really I think one of the biggest things with FPS as it gets lower is that you need to change your fortress focus from single-tasking to multi-tasking. If you work on several goals or projects simultaneously, I've found that I can have much lower FPS and still feel like my dwarves are getting things done. After all (20 dwarves)*(100 FPS)=(2000 ticks of work) where (150 dwarves)*(20 FPS)=(3000 ticks of work). So in many cases even if you have less FPS you can still get more work out of larger amounts of dwarves, it's just that most single projects won't utilize all of that extra work so you need to multi-task in order to utilize it correctly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »

I can honest to god say i have never experienced significant FPS drops, what i average on year one with 30 dwarfs is the same as year 20 with 400 dwarfs, i dont know why, but i DO use a shitload of traffic designations, well planned hallways, one central staircase, and dispose of most trash.

also side note: dont make a staircase in the middle of a dining room, if dwarves get upset and push eachother... well 100 Z-levels is a looong way

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:02 pm »

I just built a new machine. It's upward proccessing power cannot be measured in mere arithmetic.

Seriously though I've got 150 right now and it's running at normal speed.... last comp was like.... 50  :'(
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »

I just built a new machine. It's upward proccessing power cannot be measured in mere arithmetic.

Seriously though I've got 150 right now and it's running at normal speed.... last comp was like.... 50  :'(

its mostly processor and management. also, modding out invader clothing. results in less cleaning time, more playing time. combined with the fact that genesis finally got wheelbarrows and im fucking happy.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 04:25:33 am »

For me it really depends on several factors:
  • Embark size
  • Mountain or Flat
  • How much I bother myself with micromanaging everything (in example, sealing all unused mineshafts, getting rid of all the crap piling in my fortress through trading or magma)
  • Init settings
  • How open the world is? (caverns sealed?)
  • Brooks, rivers, streams, waterfalls?
  • How much magma is flowing?

Mostly my laptop is able to run 3*3 flat area (volcano in the middle doesn't cause significant lag) with weather and temperature turned off and all caverns open in ~100 FPS with over 200 dwarves. Of course that means I often run several plugins of DFHack, like removing the blood splatter and confiscating all owned clothings, which I then sell forward to caravans.

4*4 flat area with same playing style and settings nets somewhere around 50 FPS, during larger sieges it dips down to around 10 FPS.

To gain the above speeds I usually have to make sure I don't have wider than brook running through my embark location and minimize the amount of flowing magma. Also, pump stacks powered by water generator dips my FPS to unplayable level after 200 dwarves, so if I want to save precious FPS I need to avoid that.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: [1] 2