Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get military dwarves to carry weapons while off-duty?  (Read 1770 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get military dwarves to carry weapons while off-duty?
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:12:41 am »

I've got a bunch of crossbow-dwarves that are doing civilian duties, but they just dropped all their crossbows and bolt where they were standing. How do I have them keep the weapons on them at all times?
Feeling down? Click Here!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get military dwarves to carry weapons while off-duty?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:20 am »

make sure they are not assigned to mining / wood cutting / hunting duties. Go to work schedule and set them to wear uniform when off duty.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:28 am »

Err, okay they do carry the crossbow, and in the schedule it does show "inactive = uniformed", however none of them have any bolts in their quivers.
Is there some way to force them to carry the bolts in the quivers all the time? It's kinda pointless having an empty quiver otherwise...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:26:59 am »

Go to the ammunition tab and see if the squad have ammo assigned. Each members will try to carry at least 25 bolts and ammos are assigned from to top bottom so it's best to assign about 300 bolts at the minimum to each squad. also C/T are bugged so you either set both CT or none at all
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:19 am »

Yeah, all the squads have "bolts <250>" assigned to them, and all are set to "CT". That was actually the default when I created the squads. But still they don't pick up the ammo that they dropped after I removed their "hunter" labours.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:25:04 am »

Yeah, all the squads have "bolts <250>" assigned to them, and all are set to "CT". That was actually the default when I created the squads. But still they don't pick up the ammo that they dropped after I removed their "hunter" labours.
See if they actually have ammo assigned to them. If you have only 500 ammo for instant, only the top 2 squads have ammo assigned.
Civs also take some time before complete picking up equipments. You can assign them a barrack. Even when off duty, occasionally they'd drop by to train at which point they'd make sure to kit out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:37:09 pm »

How do I have them keep the weapons on them at all times?

In alerts, set their squad to on duty

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

Yeah, I did that. I put the squad into active/training and actually one dwarf picked up the bolts, but the others did not. And then as soon as I put the dwarf out of active duty he dropped his bolts again.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:25:35 pm »

Bolt use take a little micromanaging sometimes. With CT designation, there should be no problem with them carrying ammo off duty. If they start behaving like imbeciles, remove the bolts assigned to them. Forbid all bolts on stock screen. Wait a few seconds, unforbid them, then reassign. If this does not work, dump all bolts, then unforbid them when dumped, then reassign, while you curse.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »

Okay, I think I've sort of figured out the problem..
I had my dwarves each in their own squad. But when I put them all into just one, they picked up the bolts no problem =/