Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40668 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »

Other way around, Glyph. Saying that 'protect the children' needs to be something the parents do, not the government. At least with opt-in stuff like the internet, anyway. It is absolutely a parental failure when children get access to illicit/explicit material or are exploited by individuals online.
Yeah, exactly and thats the general consensus even with the "family-values" crowd who cares about this sort of thing.

I'm basically saying the "think of the children" argument is passé, because it's really shifted toward holding the parents liable for everything their kids do. I imagine because of this line of thought, people are probably somewhat offended when somebody suggests government needs to regulate their kids lives, since it implies people can't be trusted to raise their own kids 'correctly'.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57:17 pm »

I know that we all talked about SOPA and PIPA and now ACTA. But recently a friend of mine pointed me out to something pretty important.

ACTA in it's final version. Is mearly a treaty designed to allow those that sign it to gain the power to monitor everyone's actions on the net. But only, if they can pass a bill that can allow internet censorship.

So on it's own ACTA can do nothing.

However, if a bill passes through the government and becomes law. ACTA can be enforced based upon the bill that becomes law.

So in otherwords. ACTA is only as powerful as the bill that pass through congress and becomes law.

And this also means that SOPA and PIPA were the US's attempt to put laws in place to enforce ACTA when(and if) the European Parliment activates it.

Here's a link that explains it all.
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/or8ag/ive_read_the_final_version_of_acta_heres_what_you/

More or less, internet copyright censorship battles are far from over. Since our governments will try to put bills on the table to pass so they can apply ACTA to it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:03:12 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

Wow did this thread go some places.  But I'm ignoring all that, because I clicked on a link not realizing it went to MegaUpload, where I was greeted by this:

Does anybody else find it hilarious how needlessly threatening and jingoistic the NIPR logo is?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

Does anybody else find it hilarious how needlessly threatening and jingoistic the NIPR logo is?
Thats why it fits perfectly.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:14 pm »

Bright, cautionary colors. An eagle swooping toward your face like it was hunting for you. Just in case you were unable to read the text below, the background really wants you to know that the IP and its proprietors were "Seized". That entire announcement is made to look as threatening as possible, as if to warn visitors of the dangers of copyright infringement, with a healthy side of "and you're next".

The slogan "Protection is OUR trademark" is... words fail. I'm not quite sure where the hilariousness stops and the horror begins, but it's all there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:17:36 pm by Solifuge »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:17 pm »

If I hadn't seen it for myself I would have thought it was fake. Yeesh, have these people got no taste?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »

FBI logo needs more patriotism bald eagle.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »

Oh, right, THIS is an aggressively styled black eagle

I mean, seriously >________________>  When you're more threatening than Third Reich symbolism, you're doing it wrong.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2012, 04:56:58 pm »

So, I found this is a comment. Anyone know where its from?
Here's a list someone posted on a message board a short while ago:

MegaUpload - Closed.
    Rapidshare - status unknown
    FileServe - Closing does not sell premium. File sharing already disabled.
    FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
    UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..
    FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation). No longer allows sharing files.
    VideoBB - Closed! would disappear soon.
    Uploaded - Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
    FilePost - Deleting all material (will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
    Videoz - closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
    4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
    MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days

It seems the US is going to very quickly run out of filehosts at this rate.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »

MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days

Well, at least they get to testify on their behalf, instead of being blackbagged and seized.  Fuck, they were the good one too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:12 pm »

Not sure how legit that list is. Of those I've only heard that Filesonic has disabled sharing and uploaded.to banned the US.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2012, 05:03:03 pm »

Thats why I asked if anyone knew where it was from. I can't find much of anything.

Edit: The only thing I can find related to 'mediafire fbi warning' says it got the news from "warez-bb", which hardly sounds like a source that doesn't make up things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:09:37 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:56 pm »

Almost every one has disabled filesharing - a few have shut down, most of the rest have disabled downloads by anyone except the account holder.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2012, 05:11:22 pm »

Mediafire, Dropbox, and Rapidshare are all intact and unchanged by this whole scam by the DOJ

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:05 pm »

Oh, right, THIS is an aggressively styled black eagle
I love how the East German coat of arms grows more and more exuberant, it really cries "trying too hard".
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36