Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40692 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Both PIPA and SOPA shelved!
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2012, 12:23:44 pm »

I maintain that creative artists need control over their product so they can make a living off their actual art, not novelty mugs or whatever.
I think art is in a rather sorry state because it's become a job rather than a passion. If you're in it for the money you're not really an artist.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:42 pm »

you may not be in it for money, but you still need to eat, pay rent and all that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 21, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »

Get a day job for that. Truly exceptional artists can work on art full time because they'll get donations from fans (see Toady).

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

you may not be in it for money, but you still need to eat, pay rent and all that.

Yep.

There are quite a few laws that often seem unfair but are there simply because otherwise it wouldn't work.

For example the 8 year exclusive use of a drug to the company that creates it. It is there because creating new drugs is so expencive that without exclusive use very few ones would be made (and even then. the VAAAAST majority of drugs are cheap immitations or 'renamed' drugs repurposed)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:39 pm »

How many different painkillers do we need anyway?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2012, 12:31:47 pm »

How many different painkillers do we need anyway?

Actually almost none of the painkillers on the market are "new"...

In otherwords they are all the SAME painkiller. (well ok, they are all the same three painkillers)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:33:36 pm by Neonivek »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »

Precisely my point, big pharma R&D is just reinventing the wheel over and over again. True medical breakthroughs tend to come from scientists who do it for the glory rather than the money.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »

Yes painkillers are the entirety of medicine there is no such thing as a drug that does something else
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »

Get a day job for that. Truly exceptional artists can work on art full time because they'll get donations from fans (see Toady).
1) Wasting time with a "day job" is never a good thing.
2) That's demonstratively false. See: Van Gogh. Admittedly it's not much different right now, but popularity has never proven anything to be "exceptional," and asking for donations to be the main source of income would only make it worse, imo.

We need to give artists MORE time to work on their stuff, not less. Day jobs are a waste of time, so paying artists for their stuff at least makes it so they don't have to worry about that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »

Yeah, well, Van Gogh still made lots of paintings, even if he lived in abject poverty. Being an artist usually involves sacrifice.

And who says we need more art? We're oversaturated as it is. What we need is quality rather than quantity, and weeding out those who aren't sufficiently devoted to their art should help with that.

Yes painkillers are the entirety of medicine there is no such thing as a drug that does something else
Well they certainly don't seem to be working on cure for ebola.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:40:38 pm by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »

Well they certainly don't seem to be working on cure for ebola.
That is because ebola does not cause significant numbers of deaths compared to stuff they are actually working on (anti-cancer drugs, anti-retrovirals, various heart-related medications). It has killed a couple thousand people, at most, ever. Don't get me wrong, there absolutely is abuse in the pharmaceutical system, but to claim they produce actually nothing is absurd.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »

Virtually every time I hear about progress being made in those fields, it's from a university rather than a pharma company's R&D department.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »

Virtually every time I hear about progress being made in those fields, it's from a university rather than a pharma company's R&D department.

Well thats because it is FAR more profitable to make a "Ibuprofen altered slightly" then to spend money on a drug that you better HOPE makes its money back in 8 years (assuming you even end up with a drug).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

Yeah, my point exactly. People keep saying that demise of big pharma would bring medical development to a full stop, when in reality they're not the main driving force behind it.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »

A friend of mine that works at wallmart told me they had a workers meeting the other day and were told they weren't allowed to sign any sort of sopa petition.  Since wallmart supports sopa they would considerd signing one would be a conflict of interest and would result in a write up or termination.

Discuss
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36