Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40706 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Megaupload founder arrested, Megupload seized by US authorities
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2012, 01:52:05 am »

Alright, I stand corrected. Well, I guess they deserved it too, although I feel pity for the other people who used the service legitimately.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:35 am »

Because the NZ court system was convinced that the allegations against said offenders was legitimate enough for an arrest and extradition proceedings to be made. That kind of thing happens all the time. The crime took place in the USA, at least partly, as there were servers based in the USA.
How was it partly in the US? I'm pretty sure the servers were over in Canada and the Netherlands, at least two people were from NZ... What part was US?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2012, 02:20:19 am »

Th'mega folks were using data centers that were in (or at least headquartered or partly set up in) the US, apparently, at least in part. It's in the indictment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2012, 03:05:52 am »

Bear in mind that we are a few weeks from the launch of MegaMusic and MegaBox. MegaMusic was supposed to be a platform of distribution for the music produced by artists registered under the label MegaBox, which was announced as giving 90% of the retail title to the artist.

And guess who started the process ? Universal. As in Universal Music. What a surprise.

Anyway, I'm not versed at all in US right, but from the 10 pages or so that I have read this all sounds very tenuous. The only bad thing these guys are supposed to have done is:
"Since at least September 2005, Megaupload.com has been usedby the defendants and other members and associates of the Mega Conspiracy to willfullyreproduce and distribute many millions of infringing copies of copyrighted works."
But that is quite easily defendable, the owner of a platform being responsible only to an extent concerning what the users do. Plus they always ensured to do enough to respect the law, e.g. remove any link that was reported as copyrighted work.

All this mess just because these guys are accused. That's what I found mindnumbing. They haven't been declared guilty of anything, and here they are, arrested halfway across the world, their whole company taken down because of an accusation. That doesn't sound like presumed innocence to me.

Moreover, what is the role of an indictment exactly ? If it's supposed to guide the trial, it sounds like said trial has already happened.
"The defendants [...] were members of the “Mega Conspiracy,” a worldwide criminal organization whosemembers engaged in criminal copyright infringement and money laundering on a massive scale."

Isn't the role of this whole action to determine whether MegaUpload is a criminal group ? Plus, "Mega Conspiracy" ? Seriously ? Does EVERYTHING have to be marketable in the US ?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2012, 03:19:38 am »

I'm pretty sure that the biggest thing they're going for is that the owners knowingly didn't properly take down files under the DMCA act, and colluded with listing sites to maintain high traffic while appearing outwardly not to condone piracy.

Because the NZ court system was convinced that the allegations against said offenders was legitimate enough for an arrest and extradition proceedings to be made. That kind of thing happens all the time. The crime took place in the USA, at least partly, as there were servers based in the USA.
How was it partly in the US? I'm pretty sure the servers were over in Canada and the Netherlands, at least two people were from NZ... What part was US?

From the FBI release, "...and targeted sites where Megaupload has servers in Ashburn, Va., Washington, D.C., the Netherlands, and Canada."

edit: news story about their extradition hearing. I'd imagine they'd get bail. Also mentions in there that the investigation was begun in march 2010. That's a long time ago. Not like its a reaction to their new music page.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:32:10 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2012, 03:36:13 am »

I really hope they have money to hire some really good lawyers. Yes, they might deserve punishment, but it would, in my opinion, be very good precedent if they could get out of it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2012, 03:39:31 am »

They have a lot of money. Their CEO is american DJ Swizz Beatz, who is married to top 40 recording artist Alicia Keys, and they are estimated to have quite a lot of revenue between memberships and ads in the  site.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2012, 04:02:01 am »

After reading it all through, the only thing worthy of interest is the mails the defendants exchanged. A part refers to how they designed a soft to download videos from youtube, but most of what this text features shows that yes, they were aware there was illegal content on their servers, but nothing such as "why did you remove that link to Transformer ? it was a huge boost for our bank account !". There is even a part that says they disqualify uploaders for the reward if they uploaded illegal content.

The only mentions of knowingly using illegal content were as normal users. So I guess if these mails are used as proof, they could be charged with whatever you have to pay in the US when you give a link to illegal material. Then again, there may be things such as "you have the right to watch it online if you own a copy" in which case they could just say both owned a legally acquired copy of whatever they gave.

Thing is, can these mails be used a proof or element of proof in the US ? Apart from the fact they could've been faked, I thought every proof that was presented could only be used as proof if the accusation proves it was obtained legally.

Seriously, if there is someone willing to give us a crash course of US federal law, he should be welcomed to speak. If such a person lurks on a forum, it has to be on the DF one.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2012, 04:31:46 am »

From the BBC article:
"The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicised their links to users throughout the world," a statement said.

In what way did MU ever pay users to do anything?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2012, 04:33:43 am »

If they are guilty for having a site that happens to make piracy a bit simpler (considering the plethorah of other file-sharing sites), yet not for commiting the piracy/theft themselves, then how is is their legal liability? It's not like Megaupload is a piracy advocate of the Interwastes. It's almost like they're arresting them for racketeering, except without any actual racket..

I mean, is Bill Gates being arrested because hackers across the world utilize MS operating systems to write/distribute viruses and adware? Does this not cause monetary and emotional (bullshit) damages to these great entertainment conglomerates and their associations?

I'm an Engineer, law is just a hobby. I'm sure we could all use a bit of a crash-course in this, so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:36:22 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2012, 04:41:19 am »

Basically they're pinning the responsibility of preventing piracy on those hosting the services.

Imagine if your local department of transportation was asked to police the highways. That's essentially what's happening here (and on youtube, etc). Failing to do so is assisting in piracy or some such bullshit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:55 am »

Basically they're pinning the responsibility of preventing piracy on those hosting the services.

Imagine if your local department of transportation was asked to police the highways. That's essentially what's happening here (and on youtube, etc). Failing to do so is assisting in piracy or some such bullshit.

No, it's not that.

It's saying that Toyota is responsible for a person driving their Camry over the speed limit, and should install GPS tracking devices in all cars at their own expense to alert police when it occurs.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2012, 04:46:50 am »

I've seen the exact same charges presented against multiple true piracy sites, such as Demonoid and Piratebay. I'm sure you can guess how well those worked.

No, it's not that.

It's saying that Toyota is responsible for a person driving their Camry over the speed limit, and should install GPS tracking devices in all cars at their own expense to alert police when it occurs.

Well, to be honest, that's basically the same idea of forcing a silly idea of self policing on the Internet.

Especially because anyone with half a brain knows that 'combating piracy' is about as worthwhile as the War on Drugs, and would rather use the trend to benefit themselves, such as appealing to the market of people who need online storage (oddly enough, seems to be people that want to share things on the internet!), as opposed to trying to stifle the world innovation brought by it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:49:13 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:10 am »

I forgot, does the US have the rights to travel to another country to arrest people in the first place?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2012, 04:50:12 am »

I forgot, does the US have the rights to travel to another country to arrest people in the first place?

Unless it's a puppet/protectorate, I do not think so. Besides, the arrest was carried out by the local Bobbies/Newzealander forces.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36