Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40718 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Megaupload founder arrested, Megupload seized by US authorities
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:12 pm »

They took down FBI.gov
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:29 pm »

Are they actually doing something fancier than a DDOS?
You'd think the FBI would be better prepared about that if they are.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

Are they actually doing something fancier than a DDOS?
You'd think the FBI would be better prepared about that if they are.

Considering this whole dustup is predicated on how little understanding of the workings of the Internet there is among the government agencies charged with policing it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the FBI has no effective countermeasure to simple DDoSing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »

The thing that baffles me the most about this whole thing is that I honestly don't understand why anybody could possibly care about prolonging the life of an obsolete industry. The film industry is no longer necessary as there are better sources of entertainment now; It literally does not matter to anybody if the film industry fails.

Furthermore, from a utilitarian perspective media piracy is desirable because there are more people outside of the film and music industries than within it, and thus the benefit outweighs the losses (and there are also people willing to work in those industries cheaper than the current people so reduced incomes will not significantly hinder this dynamic).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:44 pm »

For the record, if you read the Indictment, megaupload didn't get taken down for hosting copyrighted stuff, but because the owners were part of a supposed conspiracy profiting from piracy.  That would explain why some copyrighted stuff on Megaupload disappears quickly while they ignore other stuff.

When you put it in those terms it doesn't sound nearly as bad unless you're in piracy for the ideology.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »

That would explain why some copyrighted stuff on Megaupload disappears quickly while they ignore other stuff.
This is actually a SOPAish BS justification. There's copyrighted material on their website so they're clearly in the "in" of the ghostly pirate terrorist organization
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »

The Two thing I can say about Anonymous is that:
A. They support Internet Anonymity (Dur Hur Dur) and Freedom
and
B. They love to DoS the fuck out of anyone who tires to take Internet Anonymity and Freedom away from them. And from the looks of it, they can pretty much DoS anyone they want. Even the US government

And what you also must remember is that while not of the people who affilate Anonymous are hackers, they likely have Thousands (Maybe even Millions. Its impossible to find out what with their Forced Anonymity) of members, of skill levels ranging from simple programs to the like of Toady and Professional Hackers. And considering how likely it is for them to swarm a site, it must be nigh impossible to fend them off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:33:03 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »

And what you also must remember is that while not of the people who affilate Anonymous are hackers, they likely have Millions (Maybe even Trillions. Its impossible to find out what with their Forced Anonymity) of members
Yeah, it's been bad ever since they opened that portal to a parallel universe and obtained trillions of extra members.  They outnumber everyone else on the planet now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »

That post. It was great. The one thing you can say about them was two things, and then some more things. Also, can I safely assume that capitalized numbers are sarcastic? I will say that it perfectly describes Anonymous, though, that is for sure.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »

Maybe, all of the member aren't human? Didn't think of that, did ya?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

That post. It was great. The one thing you can say about them was two things, and then some more things. Also, can I safely assume that capitalized numbers are sarcastic? I will say that it perfectly describes Anonymous, though, that is for sure.

You try and get a good estimate of people who say they are part of Anonymous and get back to me on that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:36:51 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »

Aren't there like 7 billion people on Earth?
Trillions of people in Anonymous seems like a bit of a longshot estimate.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:40 pm »

Quote from: from the indictment
the Mega Conspiracy
Really?  :-\
Aren't there like 7 billion people on Earth?
Trillions of people in Anonymous seems like a bit of a longshot estimate.
Na there are 6 trillion. Only 7 billion live on the surface, all the others are disembodied brains in jars (that live below the surface of the earth in massive bunkers) that are part of anonymous.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:45:40 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »

They wear Guy Fawks masks when they come to the surface to hide their true brain jar identities.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36