Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40754 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

While SOPA is defeated, the US Justice Department in cooperation with international authorities has shut down MegaUpload.com and arrested many of their staff.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »

R.I.P, the late Megaupload. You were too beautiful for this world :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

While SOPA is defeated, the US Justice Department in cooperation with international authorities has shut down MegaUpload.com and arrested many of their staff.

Using a lot of controversy to hide more controversy -_-
That's low.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »

And suddenly the web had a few billion more dead links.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »

The FBI press release.

This one was a fun one to me:
Quote from: From the release
As alleged in the indictment, the conspirators failed to terminate accounts of users with known copyright infringement, selectively complied with their obligations to remove copyrighted materials from their servers and deliberately misrepresented to copyright holders that they had removed infringing content. For example, when notified by a rights holder that a file contained infringing content, the indictment alleges that the conspirators would disable only a single link to the file, deliberately and deceptively leaving the infringing content in place to make it seamlessly available to millions of users to access through any one of the many duplicate links available for that file.
Someone has no g'damn idea how filesharing sites work, don't they? Those aren't duplicate links to the same file nitwits, they're entirely different files.

The actual trial should be interesting, though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:06:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »

Stands to reason it'd be the one file-storage site that's actually worth a damn, instead of shutting down RapidShare or something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »

Stands to reason it'd be the one file-storage site that's actually worth a damn, instead of shutting down RapidShare or something.
What about mediafire?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »

What about mediafire?

AK has a point. They're both pretty decent, and legitimate file-sharers could fall back on one if the other goes down like in this case.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:20:23 pm by freeformschooler »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:21 pm »

The individuals each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering, and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement.
Wow, that's quite the array of charges.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

Mark my words, there will come a day soon when RapidShare, like the legendary cockroach, will be the only surviving file-sharing service left on the Internet.  And they'll throttle free users to 5Kb downloads a day with membership at $1000 a year contracts.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »

Then, they'll start accepting Bitcoins as currency with a fixed rate of exchange.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2012, 04:26:57 pm »

The individuals each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering, and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement.
Wow, that's quite the array of charges.
The copyright infringement is obvious- what's with the racketeering and money laundering?

Aside from that, I'm curious how many times big name sites like Megaupload getting taken down it would take for there to be any real impact upon the internet. I figure at some point corporations would finally cave in and figure the risk of lawsuits isn't worth the possible income of such a website. Could such a thing happen, or will greed always win out?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2012, 04:28:18 pm »

The copyright infringement is obvious- what's with the racketeering and money laundering?
Read the FBI press release I linked, it goes into a bit more detail. The laundering, at least, is specifically mentioned; I've already forgotten how the racketeering comes into it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:17 pm »

The indictment states that the conspirators conducted their illegal operation using a business model expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works for many millions of users to download. The indictment alleges that the site was structured to discourage the vast majority of its users from using Megaupload for long-term or personal storage by automatically deleting content that was not regularly downloaded. The conspirators further allegedly offered a rewards program that would provide users with financial incentives to upload popular content and drive web traffic to the site, often through user-generated websites known as linking sites. The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicized their links to users throughout the world.

Basically Megaupload is a vast evil conspiracy specifically designed to steal money from hard working media corporations.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »

Using a lot of controversy to hide more controversy -_-
That's low.

Note that they started proceedings on the 5th of January. I'd say its a coincidence. Not to mention they probably don't give a crap about weather it would be hidden or not.
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36