Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40729 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2012, 05:36:22 pm »

What if we could put the internet on the internet?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 05:44:03 pm »

What if we could put the internet on the internet?
It would get censored faster than you can type "SOPA". Twice, for good measure.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:22 pm »

@Levi
SOPA's specifically made to prevent stuff like that. It's literal censorship; the government would be able to decide which websites you're allowed to visit, regardless of where they're hosted.

Then we could all use something like Tor to get around it, maybe.  It would be entertaining if due to something like SOPA people started to get good at using privacy software and encryption.  It would be the opposite effect of what the government seems to want. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

Proxies would be outlawed. But there are other ways to get around this censorship.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2012, 05:58:52 pm »

Without a serious, coordinated, government-run deep packet inspection effort a la China, it will be trivial for nerds to get around censored domains, but the bills would require "search engines" (a term defined so vaguely that this forum might qualify as one) to actively monitor and censor out people linking to infringing sites.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »

If this passes, then I'm moving to another country.

(though from what I understand Obama intends to veto it if it gets through congress, so likely it won't get passed)

@Levi
SOPA's specifically made to prevent stuff like that. It's literal censorship; the government would be able to decide which websites you're allowed to visit, regardless of where they're hosted.

Then we could all use something like Tor to get around it, maybe.  It would be entertaining if due to something like SOPA people started to get good at using privacy software and encryption.  It would be the opposite effect of what the government seems to want.

That would be awesome.

(BTW, it would be nice if those of you who know how to do things like this could post directions for us here)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:19:59 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »

Welp, I'm on strike.
Same for every forum I regular, you guys can join in if you want. Just a little personal effort.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »

Can't all the webhosting services move to a country without SOPA or something?  Wouldn't that prevent most of the damage?

The main problem with the bill is that many of the root servers for the internet are owned by us based companies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_name_server
furthermore the most common top level domain .com is owned and operated by verisign
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.com
This means the United states has an unreasonable level of control over the DNS system.

The problem with shifting these systems to another country is that they are systems that require large amounts of infrastructure to run and a decent amount of money to maintain. You'd have to find a decent number of large tech companies who weren't founded/run from USA which may be impossible or take a long time. Manage a root level server is a big ask and not one easily taken over. The biggest thing we can do to prevent this is decentralize the dns system to the point where we don't need root servers but that would require a decent system to be though up and implemented into every single OS and embedded device that needs DNS in a short space of time.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »

Welp, I'm on strike.
Same for every forum I regular, you guys can join in if you want. Just a little personal effort.
Perfect!  The American government will quickly be brought to its knees if I stop posting here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2012, 06:24:30 pm »

You totally missed the sig and personal text and avatar part...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »

You totally missed the sig and personal text and avatar part...

While I'm sure you find your efforts very impressive, I think it's reasonable for other people to not.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:45 pm »

@Levi
As I understand it, the bill would prevent the root name servers in america from resolving banned adresses into IPs. You would be able to visit a site by acquiring the IP adress and using that directly, or by using a root name server located outside the US.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

While I'm sure you find your efforts very impressive, I think it's reasonable for other people to not.
Eh, saw a few other people on another forum doing it, then somebody somewhere else, figure if it might go viral I should help out.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »

That would be awesome.

(BTW, it would be nice if those of you who know how to do things like this could post directions for us here)
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_reach_seized_or_blocked_websites.cfm
I don't know if this still works (or will continue to work), since I haven't bothered as yet since blocked sites are few and far between at the moment. But it shows that there are efforts out there. IMO SOPA (or whatever later incarnation finally worms its way into effect after we all get sick of fighting it every year) will bite its own foot off, in that respect. Someone will make a tool that makes connecting to an alternate DNS server an easy patch, and it will all reform on some other continent, maybe (as a last-ditch act of irony) minus the domains for SOPA-related official websites. One can hope.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »

Huh, this is a pretty neat site:http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act_Senate_whip_count
For what its worth, it seems that 34 senators are supporting it right now (33 are cosponsors), 33 against, and 33 uncommitted.
Compared to 40 yes, 5 no, 55 uncommitted before the blackout started.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36