Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40746 times)

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:41 pm »

No, because it'll be selectively enforced. You'll have to take them to an actual court, spend thousands upon thousands of dollars pressing the suit, and win several appeals until the case reaches the Supreme Court, which will have the authority to declare the law unconstitutional, causing you to lose all the money you've sunk into this thing. Meanwhile, you'll be constantly scrutinized for breaking any of hundreds of minor laws that are almost never enforced. This is what we call the "best case scenario". Corruption is pretty great, huh?

i was just thinking of being spiteful
the whole we get locked down they get locked down
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

What we need to do is boycott Hollywood and the music industry.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »

Hm... Are you suggesting that the true path to liberal utopia is for everyone to murder everyone else in a senseless rage?
No, I think he was just implying that if we could get conservatives to believe that "breathing is for liberals", they'd choose mass asphyxiation out of sheer political spite. And everyone wins.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »

Everyone has been talking about this in real life. I get the feeling this blackout really will make a difference.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:14 pm »

I wonder what will happen to all those hardcore Internet users out there that are suddenly deprived of their joy and/or purpose in life?

They will have time.
They will have anger.
They will have revenge.

Let's hope Anonymous can handle all the new applicants.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 05:18:38 pm »

I've been vaguely keeping tabs on the whole internet censorship thing. I was a bit happy at first. Thinking, "Lovely, this could be the final straw that shows them the futility of their impeding systems!".

But It won't. Will it? It'll get some outrage here and there, but eventually slip by like all of the other fucked up things people choose to accept. Even if it's current form is successfully defeated, it will return in a mask over and over until it finally worms its way in.

Looks like I'll have to speed up my 'Uplifting of Humanity' plans a bit now. Damn, and here I was thinking I'd be able to squeeze in a little vacation to Hawaii somewhere in the process.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

I've been vaguely keeping tabs on the whole internet censorship thing. I was a bit happy at first. Thinking, "Lovely, this could be the final straw that shows them the futility of their impeding systems!".

But It won't. Will it? It'll get some outrage here and there, but eventually slip by like all of the other fucked up things people choose to accept. Even if it's current form is successfully defeated, it will return in a mask over and over until it finally worms its way in.

Looks like I'll have to speed up my 'Uplifting of Humanity' plans a bit now. Damn, and here I was thinking I'd be able to squeeze in a little vacation to Hawaii somewhere in the process.
~King DZA, 2012

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »

This is why Hollywood must be destroyed.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »

Everyone has been talking about this in real life. I get the feeling this blackout really will make a difference.

Technically speaking, it already has.  Several Senators and Representatives, including Mark Kirk (R-IL) and Marco Rubio (R-FL), who originally signed the House and Senate version have withdrawn their support.  I'd expect momentum to keep rolling from there as it turns into a partisan issue, then a bunch of Democrats abandon it, and then it falls by the wayside.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:20 pm »

If the Democrats drop it someone should show the Republican co-signers the Fox News comment pages. Nothing says "Nothing to vote on here" to a Republican politician like having their constituents calling them RINOs who support the Liberal Agenda.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

So, is Wikipedia going to have to black out every year when a new bill is introduced? Even though the names of these particular bills have become political poison, politicians still don't understand how the internet works and aren't committed to keeping it free and open.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »

So, is Wikipedia going to have to black out every year when a new bill is introduced? Even though the names of these particular bills have become political poison, politicians still don't understand how the internet works and aren't committed to keeping it free and open.

Perhaps we should make the Internet a separate nation.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »

Can't all the webhosting services move to a country without SOPA or something?  Wouldn't that prevent most of the damage?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »

~King DZA, 2012

Would be quite a twist, wouldn't it?

No need to worry everyone. 2012, is not the end of the world. It's the beginning of a new one.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »

@Levi
SOPA's specifically made to prevent stuff like that. It's literal censorship; the government would be able to decide which websites you're allowed to visit, regardless of where they're hosted.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36