Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary HammerDwarf Marksman  (Read 3178 times)

mikelon

Legendary HammerDwarf Marksman
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:04:57 pm »

Ive had trouble getting my marksdwarves to actually use their crossbows for shooting rather than as hammers. One recently became a legendary hammerdwarf...

Heres what ive done so far

Active training---->check
Armor----> archer
Crossbow Equipped---->check
Archery Target the right way to train---->check
Barracks assigned to them to train---->check
holding a quiver---->check
not holding anything else like a barrel---->check
the quiver has arrows?---->check
5 of them are now dead from attacking a goblin siege swinging their wooden crossbows--->check

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Legendary HammerDwarf Marksman
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:55 pm »

Turn hunting on for them. Trains nearly as fast as archery ranges, and far more productive.

Or do you mean killing goblins?
Station them instead of giving a kill order, preferably behind fortifications.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:14:16 pm »

Ive had trouble getting my marksdwarves to actually use their crossbows for shooting rather than as hammers. One recently became a legendary hammerdwarf...

Heres what ive done so far

Armor----> archer
Crossbow Equipped---->check
Archery Target the right way to train---->check
Barracks assigned to them to train---->check
holding a quiver---->check
not holding anything else like a barrel---->check
the quiver has arrows?---->check
5 of them are now dead from attacking a goblin siege swinging their wooden crossbows--->check
Use bolts instead of arrows?
Train only at the archery range instead of at the barracks?
Station them behind fortifications so they can't run into melee?
Don't wear armor because it slows them down?

mikelon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »

id like them to train to begin with as a dabbling marksman is basically useless

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

id like them to train to begin with as a dabbling marksman is basically useless
Thats what the archery target is for -- training marksdwarf skills.  The barracks would be used to learn how to mash goblin faces in with the butt of the crossbow, and thus not what you (or I, for that matter) consider constructive markdwarf training.  Useful, but not what we want them to be doing. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

mikelon

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »

i have serveral archery targets

they refuse to use them

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:29:00 pm »

i have serveral archery targets

they refuse to use them
Is the target configured to allow their squad to train there? (I'm assuming this is a yet, but figured I'd get the obvious out of the way.)

Do you have limitations on what type of bolts the squad can use for training versus combat? [military screen, ammunition]

Have your hunters laid claim to your entire stockpile of bolts, depriving your fledgling marksdwarf horde of their rightfully designated crossbow bolts? (I've heard some folks state that hunters allocate bolts first, then squads, though I haven't independently verified this.  i do, however, limit my hunters to 30 bolts, which may be why i haven't experienced the problem.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

mikelon

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »

yep i designated the archery targets
yep, they all have bolts in their quivers. They refuse to use them

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »

Thats what the archery target is for -- training marksdwarf skills.  The barracks would be used to learn how to mash goblin faces in with the butt of the crossbow, and thus not what you (or I, for that matter) consider constructive markdwarf training.  Useful, but not what we want them to be doing. :D

I make Black Bronze crossbows (genesis), so its arguable which method is more effective.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:42 am »

There is an obvious problem in your checks, surprised no one noted it:

This.

If active training is on they will train melee weapon skills at a barracks.  Turn it to inactive. Then they will train nothing but archery, and they will do so constantly--whenever they have free time (which should be always).  Just to be sure, disallow use of the normal barracks for the marksdwarf squads, otherwise your legendary ones might just linger and train useless skills anyway, out of habit.

Also make sure the archery targets are correctly oriented to shoot--I think default is right to left, adjust as appropriate
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:36:56 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:01:17 am »

turn off their training at barracks - check?

they prefer to spar and watch demonstrations at a barracks instead of emptying their quivers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:00 am »

Make archery positions. Fortifications around them to guard against bowelves/goblins. Put a two wid burrow around you positions and assign the marxdorfs to defend burrow. Make sure that there is an ammo/food stockpile in your archer burrow. Finally make sure your archers can't path to the enenies. When a marksdwarf can path to the enemy they'll charge into melee combat, Especially if they are better at using hammers then using crossbows. Also if they can path when they run out of ammo they charge in regardless of skill. If they can't path they go get more ammo an continue firing.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:40:00 am »

if you captured some gobbos, take their weapons and put them in a slaughter room, your marksdwarfs will have no choice but to shoot and will level up a lot faster. This also works on many wild animals
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10:03 am »

This.

If active training is on they will train melee weapon skills at a barracks.  Turn it to inactive. Then they will train nothing but archery, and they will do so constantly--whenever they have free time (which should be always).  Just to be sure, disallow use of the normal barracks for the marksdwarf squads, otherwise your legendary ones might just linger and train useless skills anyway, out of habit.

Also make sure the archery targets are correctly oriented to shoot--I think default is right to left, adjust as appropriate

My on duty Marksmen still train at the archery range... So no. Although making sure the archery targets are correctly oriented is the biggest problem I've seen so far in getting them to train. Also, make sure you have individual targets set as rooms for each squad member you'll need to train.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:29 am »

I make Black Bronze crossbows (genesis), so its arguable which method is more effective.
Unrelated but Genesis crossbows have bayonets so making them out of edge metals is actually better than dense metals.
Pages: [1] 2