Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carp and Badgers.  (Read 1228 times)

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Carp and Badgers.
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

As the Title says, I have a badger/carp infestation. The badgers are constantly spawning from the map and attacking my animals and Dwarfs. I no longer have any cats and im down to 2 dogs. 2 of my Dwarves have no toes and one has no legs to speak of. What should i do? I mean i can barely mine down without being attacked.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:37:24 pm by Coolnesstod »
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carp and Badgers.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

Setup a military, equip every dwarf with a weapon.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »

Setup a military, equip every dwarf with a weapon.

Ive already dont that, but were just being swarmed. Im down to 3 Dwarfs now. Ive walled them in the little mine i created. They have a bunch of food to survive a few months. Ill try waiting the badgers/Carps out.  :'(
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »

I would just completely seal off the aboveground until you get a migrant wave to pad your numbers for available military.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:29 pm »

But won't the migrants get slaughtered, if they stay outside? 

Also, what weapons do your remaining dwarves have, and their skills? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »

I had 2 military dwarves, but their dead. We had Silver battle axes and copper picks. Military Dwarves had 2 in axe each and 1 in armor, shield, and Dodge each. The rest were civlians with no weapons. I just blocked off above ground and im just gonna survive with these three guys i guess.  :-\

Edit: Migrants arrived and were immeadiatly slaughtered by the badgers. Sad day for those dwarves. Ive just been farming and getting brew made. Contemplating on whether or not to Abandon?  :-\
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:33:15 pm by Coolnesstod »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:18:14 am »

They don't spawn like regular critters. The estimated population number is nine zillion badgers per unit area. It's not unusual to go months without seeing an animal that isn't badgeroid.

Supposing you somehow kill zillions and zillions of badgers, they will call for reinforcements and you will be greeted by a giant badger who will galumph through the overlapping hail of crossbow bolts from all the hunters you assigned to emergency badger suppression duty and litter the mountaintop with dwarf bits.

All forts in badger-based ecosystems end up the same way; with a couple of trembling and gnawed survivors behind a locked door while badgers cavort and growl outside, counting the days until the food runs out and wishing they'd embarked on a terrifying glacier instead.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:27 am »

Am I the only one who never has problems with badgers?  I tend to wall in most of my fortress in any map.  I also routinely use a few military dwarves and hunters to massacre badgers for combat practice.

They "interrupt" jobs pretty frequently, and often kill puppies...  But War Dogs put up a bigger fight against them, and sometimes even kill a few.

I always turn EVERY dog into a War dog and let them roam around freely.  They often like to loiter around fortress entrances.  And trust me...  200 War Dogs go a LONG WAY in curbing a badger threat.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:16:20 am »

make some traps in random locations using largeish choke points and hope your dwarfs and kittens run safely through and lead the badgers to their dismembered doom
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:05:43 am »

I send my military to kill them for some training whenever I have some on the map.

I HATE them. "Interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted interrupted"

Grrr.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:43:52 am »

Embark with more dogs, and set up 1x1 pastues with a one dog sentry assigned to each, so that you essentially have overlapping fields of view with the dogs. The dogs are now your anti-wild life forcefield. The dogs scare the badgers away, even the giant variants. If you don't pasture them, the dogs chase the badgers, get slaughtered, and said badgers are free to kill your Dwarves. Also, do not engage the badgers in direct combat unless you have a decent military ;P

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

Embark with more dogs, and set up 1x1 pastues with a one dog sentry assigned to each, so that you essentially have overlapping fields of view with the dogs. The dogs are now your anti-wild life forcefield. The dogs scare the badgers away, even the giant variants. If you don't pasture them, the dogs chase the badgers, get slaughtered, and said badgers are free to kill your Dwarves. Also, do not engage the badgers in direct combat unless you have a decent military ;P

Noted and Just to Update you guys, Im into the second year here. Only one other migrant wave came and there was no Dwarven caravan.  :( My civilization was destroyed. Were the last Dwarves out here.  Lets do this!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:06:39 am »

stay underground, use a door to keep badgers out
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »

I get badger storms on my map regularly but they're not a huge threat, more a minor nuisance.  They seldom do any real damage to my dwarves.  One of my peasants, who was a Dabbling Wrestler or something like that, but no useful skills to speak of got attacked by a badger, and she proceeded to repeatedly gouge its eyes out with her fingers, and she tore one of its ears off.  It took days for the poor thing to die, and I even felt sorry for it.

Last spring, the elves brought me a tamed badger sow, and for a lark I decided to buy it and see if I could breed some badgers for meat, since they're all over my map.  And I also have a wild male badger caged up in my zoo/sculpture garden.  Now I just need to wait for the spores to get to work and give me plenty of easy to harvest badger meat.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

Caged badgers don't spore. I personally use NoExotics and trap/tame the badgers on my maps, but for you, maybe linking the cage to a lever, walling it in, and pulling the lever will give you a breedable wild badger.
Pages: [1] 2