Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372572 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3555 on: May 28, 2014, 12:15:54 am »

So I've been fooling around with ships I hate and remembering why I hate them (usually blandness or poor starting conditions), when I picked up a Fire Bomb on Lanius A. The next sector was Mantis vs Rock... I'd never actually thought of exploiting mantis' pitiful fire extinguishing rate to take them down. Also had an explosives replicator... that was frighteningly effective as long as they had no engi slaves. Flagship kicked my ass twice, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:19 pm »

After clocking 41 hours with this game, I finally beat the boss on easy with Lanius B. I had a flak II, Pegasus missile and ion charge I believe and of course 2 lanius for boarding. Damn this was satisfying.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:58 am »

I've played this twice and lost. The first time I made it into the third sector I think, and the second time I made it into the fifth. I will overcome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: June 01, 2014, 09:05:06 am »

I've played this twice and lost. The first time I made it into the third sector I think, and the second time I made it into the fifth. I will overcome.

It may help to play non-advanced for a while. Without all the extra stuff you can actually have a decent run unless the RNG specifically decides to kill you early. With advanced, you're basically screwed unless the RNG specifically decides to hand you a win.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: June 01, 2014, 10:18:27 am »

I haven't been playing Advanced.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: June 01, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »

I think Advanced might actually be easier once you get good at it.  There are more things being sold in shops, and it's easier to get a viable build together due to hacking and flak.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: June 03, 2014, 01:14:40 am »

So, you guys ever have those runs where you lose when you really deserved to win?  Well, I just had the opposite.

I'm in sector 8 on hard mode, go to rebel stronghold because a certain battle most of us know about is a goldmine of scrap (as well as being one of the more awesome events).  I get to said encounter, only to discover that my door controls are destroyed from a previous battle.  Still won the game, but... wow, WTF me.  It actually hurt too, I only had five crew, no MC, and one of those windup builds that kills anything but can't disable quickly.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »

I beat the game on easy! The federation cruiser is like double easy mode. I love that laser.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3563 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:09 am »

I beat the game on easy! The federation cruiser is like double easy mode. I love that laser.
+1

I just did too!  :D

51% evade and Lvl 4 shields made up for the fact that I didn't have a cloak. Took no damage from either of the boss's supers. For the first time, I had a bomb weapon, which allowed me to send crew scurrying with my two mantis boarders and then use careful bomb deployment to blast them on their way to the medbay. The phalluslaser was quite handy for the second stage, which I just wanted to kill ASAP (due to aforementioned lack of cloak).

I also saw a three projectile pile-up thanks to a Defense I and a trigger-happy enemy. The Defense drone sniped the enemy's missile at the same time as a heavy laser, also from the enemy. I saw a flash and couldn't work out where the salvo had gone until I put one, one and one together.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:03:53 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:03 pm »

The secret to victory for me was pausing and thinking out my actions frequently. I always lost to the flagship because I couldn't juggle the fifteen things going on at once.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: June 05, 2014, 08:46:28 pm »

I swear Phalluslaser + Cloak LVL 3 + Shields LVL4 + Engines MAXED = easymodo

Even without good weapons, you can crush your foes with your beam alone.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: June 05, 2014, 09:39:16 pm »

General opinion is that maxing engines is very scrap inefficient, because the later upgrades are super expensive for not much more benefit.  Particularly with a cloak, which makes more than 40% (?) evade mostly pointless.

But the general opinion is that the siege laser sucks, which I can't agree with at all  :P
It might be too slow for optimal play, I dunno, but it's really fun once in a while.  I use it on normal all the time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

True. In most cases, I just leave engines at six, and usually buy enough power for 4-5 bars, boosting it to six whenever necessary.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: June 05, 2014, 10:57:02 pm »

The Artillery Beam is good in the late game but horrible in the early game, since it's so expensive to upgrade and slow and does unreliable damage. Also, AE added in a bunch of additional enemy ship layouts that aren't quite as favorable to the random targeting the Artillery Beam does.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3569 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:36 am »

General opinion is that maxing engines is very scrap inefficient, because the later upgrades are super expensive for not much more benefit.  Particularly with a cloak, which makes more than 40% (?) evade mostly pointless.

I only had so much evasion because I picked up two Scrap Recovery arms early game. It was amazing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 243