Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372638 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3525 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »

Yeah Rock Plating is pretty decent, but on Hard Mode no way is it better than a 40 scrap injection in the first sector.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: May 22, 2014, 03:35:01 am »

I think it's safe to say that this game officially hates me :-\. My last 6 runs all have ended horribly due to incredibly bad luck before sector 3 (3 of these were on easy mode too), culminating in a Engi A run where I died on my very first jump, before my FTL drive even managed to power up (missile weapon on the first ship alternates hits between my engine room and drone bay until I was dead, without me being able to do anything about it or even damage them). Another three of the losses were due to times when my missiles or drones got shot down by random laser shots right when I really needed them, and the other two losses were due to running into beam drone + beam weapon scouts lurking inside of random asteroid fields that love to target my weapon and shield systems. So much RNG hate :'(.

I guess the game was right when it told me I should just give up after I lost during the tutorial (I accidentally opened all the doors to my ship and didn't notice right away).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: May 22, 2014, 03:50:51 am »

If you haven't been fleeing, then try fleeing battles that seem to cost you more than it would gain you scrap. I can't teach anything about the Engi-A though, was never fond of it.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:48 am »

For the most part each ship relies on a certain amount of luck to succeed.

The Engi... relies on a ton of it. Especially since its main attack is a weapon with a VERY limited ammo capacity.

It is why I prefer ships that can reasonably survive until the 6th.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:54:23 am by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:12 am »

I'd say the Stealth A relies much more on luck in the early sectors. If a single enemy ship has attack drones, you WILL take damage. Beam drones especially, since you can't count on your evasion protecting you. Or the times you are forced to go through an asteroid field.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: May 22, 2014, 09:53:58 am »

I feel more comfortable with the Stealth A/B series than the Engis, but then again, both of them suffer from massive amounts of scrap sinking. Of the two, though, I find Stealth B to be more easier for some reason.

Take off oxygen power when cloak is ready, cloak for a bit, then fire away at the weapons. chamber. If target has shields next to the weapons, make sure shields go first.

Then fully upgrade cloak with adequate reactor energy, save up for a shield, but once you get to above shield threshold, spend on engines.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: May 22, 2014, 12:06:42 pm »

I think it's safe to say that this game officially hates me :-\. My last 6 runs all have ended horribly due to incredibly bad luck before sector 3 (3 of these were on easy mode too), culminating in a Engi A run where I died on my very first jump, before my FTL drive even managed to power up (missile weapon on the first ship alternates hits between my engine room and drone bay until I was dead, without me being able to do anything about it or even damage them). Another three of the losses were due to times when my missiles or drones got shot down by random laser shots right when I really needed them, and the other two losses were due to running into beam drone + beam weapon scouts lurking inside of random asteroid fields that love to target my weapon and shield systems. So much RNG hate :'(.

I guess the game was right when it told me I should just give up after I lost during the tutorial (I accidentally opened all the doors to my ship and didn't notice right away).

Maybe try doing some Kestrel B runs? The Redtail is one of the easier ships to use and relies a lot less on luck then many others.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: May 22, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »

For the most part each ship relies on a certain amount of luck to succeed.

The Engi... relies on a ton of it. Especially since its main attack is a weapon with a VERY limited ammo capacity.

It is why I prefer ships that can reasonably survive until the 6th.

I mean sure having no hull damaging guns is bad, but its easy to fix.  Its also not that hard to keep your drone count up if you're strategic about which surrenders you accept.

The trade off for that is starting with a drone control system and being able to disable any amount of shields indefinitely with its starting gun.  The Engi A's starting loadout could kill some ships that are in the Last Stand.  In fact I know that it could kill at least one of the Flagship's forms.  It rips through ships in the first two sectors.  Think about it, once you disable their shields (which for a 1 shield layer ship should happen before they can fire) there are 4 systems (helm + engine, shields, weapons, drone bay) that the enemy has to keep down in order stop you, and you have an engi repair crew.  Engi A is seriously powerful early game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »

Redtail has a pretty good starting loadout until you start meeting ships with level 3 shields.

But it also starts with 4 bars in weapons, which is nothing to sneeze at when the upgraded guns start coming in. That's one of the big mid-game sells which directly stacks with the early-game loadout that makes it so powerful.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: May 22, 2014, 02:59:17 pm »

Maybe try doing some Kestrel B runs? The Redtail is one of the easier ships to use and relies a lot less on luck then many others.
Yeah, I've gotten to the final ship several times with other ships. It's just that I'm trying to unlock the Federation ship (being 1 of 3 I still haven't unlocked), so I was doing engi runs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »

Yeah, I've gotten to the final ship several times with other ships. It's just that I'm trying to unlock the Federation ship (being 1 of 3 I still haven't unlocked), so I was doing engi runs.

Ah. I've found it is helpful sometimes to break up a bad streak with a completely different ship type. Helps me get back into the swing of things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: May 23, 2014, 11:18:48 am »

Yeah, if you're really frustrated with a game you won't succeed. You just won't. I have tried to fight a boss in games many times one day and just failed because of my frustration, but came back the next day and defeat the boss at my first try.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3537 on: May 24, 2014, 08:22:43 am »

I just realized something.

Why the hell are missiles aerodynamically shaped?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: May 24, 2014, 08:24:53 am »

Because everyone would complain if they didn't look like missiles.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: May 24, 2014, 08:25:24 am »

I just realized something.

Why the hell are missiles aerodynamically shaped?

There could be multiple reasons

1) So they are still functional in situations where space isn't empty space (such as a nebula)
2) So they can function against planets with atmospheres
3) For shield penetration
4) Aesthetics

Honestly... I am going with 2 and 1... most of these space ships seem like they can land and take off of other planets.

Heck why don't you ask why most of the ships are aerodynamic? (Mind you that is because of reason 2... They are built to be able to enter and leave planetary atmospheres)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:32:09 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 243