Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372636 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3495 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »

Any reason for the sudden and spontaneous death of activity in this thread?

Anyway, of course I would encounter the Rock Homeworlds when I decided to play Slug.

Yay.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

Any reason for the sudden and spontaneous death of activity in this thread?

The initial hype wore off and no one had anything to post for a day or two. Then the next day, no one saw it in their updated topics page, so they were less inclined to post in it.Then the next day, no one saw it in their updated topics page, so they were less inclined to post in it.Then the next day, no one saw it in their updated topics page, so they were less inclined to post in it.

On topic, I just got my first Vulcan with Stealth C. It is so awesome. Even though the rest of my weapons were more designed for burst then sustained pummeling, I defeated the Flagship handily.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »

Someone pointed out that the Engi C was a Lanius-Engi hybrid and that the Rock C was a Crystal-Rock hybrid. These likely were the concepts that they wanted for the Lanius and Crystal C, but it would have been more fitting to give them to the Engi and Rock C as opposed to trying to think of some odd alternative for them.

So basically, they're out of ideas.

What I would have done is take the Crystal ship and gave it an advanced mode twist. (assuming that wasn't Crystal B)

While I'd make the Lanius C play against type.

They weren't really out of ideas IMO, likely they just didn't want to continue.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:17 pm »

So after 20 games in Rock C with only one Rock Homeworlds I decided to try and get the crystal cruiser the other way, IE beat the game with every A/B ship.

I had previously beaten the game with Stealth B so the only ones I had left to do where Mantis B (easy) and Rock A.

Rock A sucks. It sucks bad. Three slow moving crew with a crappy ship layout and only missile weapons is a recipe for disaster. It took a bunch of tries but I did finally succeed.

Poof. A fleet of my own.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »

Rock A is actually pretty decent if you a missile weapon in combination with something more reliable[EX: Swarm Missile, Flak I and Hull Laser II was my final build last game with Rock A] before Sector 3-4. The slow crew is pretty annoying and the layout is bad, but the rock plating makes up for it[Its really fun taking no hull damage from a whole volley]. Plus it tears through early to mid game ships quickly with its shield-piercingness. Its a pain trying to get the achievements to unlock Rock B though. And it does have a bit more then its fair share of derp deaths because you ran out of missiles before you got other weapons online.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: May 15, 2014, 03:36:21 am »

Meh... biught FTL on sale a few days ago and i just can't get through this game for the life of me.
Been close once tho... the closest i ever was on medium difficulty was the second to lat sector.

On easy i got to the mothership twice. Once almost beat it and the cecond time... well i had a missile heavy build and ran out of missiles with both repair/resuply stations being pretty damn far away ehind shields i couldn't penetrate and boarding was out of the question because i couldn't turn off their medbay.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: May 15, 2014, 05:23:45 am »

Beat the boss with the Fed Cruiser B on Hard Mode earlier tonight. It was close; I survived with only one HP left. I only had four crew so mind control and boarders in the last phase really messed me up. They wrecked most of my systems, except the artillery beam and the weapons, so I was able to get out the last few points of damage when I noticed I only had one HP left.

I hate the Fed Cruiser, but at least the artillery beam is really good against the flagship. The problem is getting there, since the stupid artillery beam is a scrap sink early on but it's also vitally important to upgrade. And with the A variant, the Burst Laser II is a good gun, but it charges up in twelve seconds, which is to say, after all the early game ships have done their damage. Beating Hard with both of those ships was a painful process.

Does anybody know how much crew damage exploding Zoltans do? I'm looking at the Fed Cruiser C, and I don't think the damage done justifies attempting to go with Zoltan boarders.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: May 15, 2014, 09:52:34 am »

Does anybody know how much crew damage exploding Zoltans do? I'm looking at the Fed Cruiser C, and I don't think the damage done justifies attempting to go with Zoltan boarders.

The explosion doesn't do enough. You'll be sending those zoltans over three times to kill anything. It's really only there as a pitifully ineffective stopgap until you get a second real boarder.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:10 am »

And of course, if the enemy has a medbay (rare in the early sectors but totally possible), good luck trying to kill everyone on the enemy ship with a single exploding zoltan.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: May 15, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »

Rock A is actually pretty decent if you a missile weapon in combination with something more reliable[EX: Swarm Missile, Flak I and Hull Laser II was my final build last game with Rock A] before Sector 3-4. The slow crew is pretty annoying and the layout is bad, but the rock plating makes up for it[Its really fun taking no hull damage from a whole volley]. Plus it tears through early to mid game ships quickly with its shield-piercingness. Its a pain trying to get the achievements to unlock Rock B though. And it does have a bit more then its fair share of derp deaths because you ran out of missiles before you got other weapons online.

Honestly, the main reason I don't like Rock A is because ships with no systemless rooms become too expensive to fight even if you take no damage.

Its worse in the expansion now that the hacking system fills the last empty room on some ships.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: May 15, 2014, 03:08:08 pm »

About 15, from my testing.

Just beat the flagship with the Lanius A, and I'm starting to rethink the B layout's superiority. The default hacking is really helpful in either ensuring that I do my damage before the enemy does, or making sure I do more damage. The flagship was cake with level 3 hacking + laserstorm (chain x2, burst 2 x2). I also managed to get hacking stun in sector 7, so I pinned like five rebels in the shield room (three trying to put out the fires, two trying to get to the cockpit to put out those fires) during phase 1 and killed them all in a single volley.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:34 pm »

That weapon loadout could easily win with no hacking.

Honestly if its hacking you want go with Engi C.  You know from the beginning you'll be able to reliably hack flagship stage 2.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: May 15, 2014, 05:49:21 pm »

I have never had a defense drone shoot down more than one hacking drone before missing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:57 pm »

Weird... I've blocked like 8 in a row before with my own defense drone.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: May 15, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »

I think rock plating is a really dumb special augment. 10% chance to take no damage, big deal. That is like starting with 33 HP instead of 30.

I also hate any ship that can be done in by standard issue equipment. All it takes to counter Rock A is 1 defense drone.

Regardless I have the task of beating the game with Crystal A and B ahead of me now, than I am going to beat it on hard mode with the ship I think is most OP. Right now that honor goes to one of the zoltan cruisers.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 243