Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372696 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3450 on: May 03, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

What about L4 level doors?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: May 03, 2014, 07:02:25 pm »

That's what level 3 manned doors are, aren't they? Or is it an event upgrade that I've never gotten?
It's a game. Have fun.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: May 03, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

That's what level 3 manned doors are, aren't they? Or is it an event upgrade that I've never gotten?
L3 manned.  I've only had the scrap and the crew number to use it once, and the enemy died too quickly for me to test them.   

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: May 03, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »

I might be streaming FTL again in a bit. I will be streaming *something*, but if you want it to be FTL, vote here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137811.0

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 03, 2014, 07:19:11 pm »

I can understand the scrap (on normal or hard), but the crew? The first spare crew member I get goes on doors, sometimes even before shields (or my shield crewmember goes to doors during any boarding style event/fight). It does depend on the ship, but I tend to get anywhere between 6-8 crew on any given ship by the end, whether I've got a teleporter or not. Repairs stack, boarders are a non-issue, and they offer flexibility and blue options for events. I probably prioritize crew too much, but I don't think I've ever not had a doorman by sector 5. Plus, Zoltans are half price when you take the free power bar into consideration, and everyone else is good at something bar humans (even humans stack repair and combat damage though).
It's a game. Have fun.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »

I can understand the scrap (on normal or hard), but the crew? The first spare crew member I get goes on doors, sometimes even before shields (or my shield crewmember goes to doors during any boarding style event/fight). It does depend on the ship, but I tend to get anywhere between 6-8 crew on any given ship by the end, whether I've got a teleporter or not. Repairs stack, boarders are a non-issue, and they offer flexibility and blue options for events. I probably prioritize crew too much, but I don't think I've ever not had a doorman by sector 5. Plus, Zoltans are half price when you take the free power bar into consideration, and everyone else is good at something bar humans (even humans stack repair and combat damage though).
I do put a crew member on doors, but that normally is only on level two doors.  Which, as said, is sufficient in most situations.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: May 03, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »

I finally got my dream hacking + halberd + pike + pike combo.  The first stage went down in a single sweep, the other two didn't due to me fucking up the beam paths and also the stage 3 boarding.  It still seems like the best offensive loadout possible though, and the defense drone that the second stage has isn't a problem at all if you have a dozen or so parts spare.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3457 on: May 03, 2014, 10:34:14 pm »

I have become absolutely sick of trying to unlock the Crystal Cruiser with Rock C. Rock homeworlds appear everywhere, except when you have crystal crew. I decided to take a break, and play Federation C, due to not having played much of it.

I would have cried tears of joy if I encountered this as Rock C, buuuut nooooooo. When I played Rock C I would encounter a sector map with only 2-4 red sectors per game. HOWEVER, when I play the fuckin' Federation C to take a break from Rock C, I get THIS.

WHY GODS OF RNG, WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME SO?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:23 pm »

Well, if you got that as the Rock C, I guarantee that the Rock Homeworlds would be on the lower path.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3459 on: May 03, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »

Yep. have taken a midlish upper path with the Fed C so far. No  Rock sectors of any kind so far.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: May 03, 2014, 11:49:47 pm »

And GlyphGryph successfully pilots "The Murder Trail" to an awesome win on hard. Kestral B layout, with every bell and whistle by the end of it. Great stream, cheers.

We were under-weaponed, but with a freakishly good alpha-strike, everything else got bought in sector 7. Had a halberd beam in storage, but it would have killed the inital synergy. A burst laser mk 1, Flak 1, an ion blast 1, and a breach bomb 2 with a pre-igniter sounds pretty crap on a Red-tail, but it did the job, especially with MC1 soon after/during the weapons upgrade(?) phase. Shields and piloting down after every alpha-strike is amazing.

Then we got a tele, hacking, and finally bought shields 4 near the end. A 7 man crew (two mantises) and the flag-ship didn't stand a chance. Due to good piloting by my character no doubt. 45% is just a number, when it counts it's way more :)

No drones, no cloaks, no cheesing by GlyphGryph. All bells and whistles at basic level too. It goes to show that even without an optimal setup, it can all fall into place near the end, as long as you can see what works (we were running two basic lasers and two burst 1's for a fair bit of the run). Breach/ion/MC is a lot better than you'd expect. Spread as thin as The Murder Trail was, GG managed it beautifully, even when it turned into a multi-system, layered cool-down behemoth that it became.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:45:48 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: May 04, 2014, 03:13:35 am »

Only thing I would change as a caster is to put sound effects down a bit, put music up for FTL (it's horribly addictive music), and record + youTube them. With or without the chat window. Then voice-over away!

Honestly, at least you know how to play GlyphGryph. People are earning money without that. Go for gold! (or whatever blue metal is left at the end of a 5hr run). Meh. If only I didn't have an Australian accent.......
It's a game. Have fun.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:29 am »

Did a Kestral B run. Made it to Sector 7 by going with mantis boarding party and maxed mind control strategy when the starting weaponry petered out in effectiveness.

Unfortunately the setup isn't particularly robust. Died when I couldn't find a store to repair. Also was really low on fuel for a good chunk of the run. I was either unlucky or they shook up the boarding rewards since the original version to not give gobs and gobs of fuel. With a boarding strategy you don't get the opportunity for them to surrender and give you lots of fuel either.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3463 on: May 04, 2014, 08:22:57 am »

All three shots from one of my Burst Laser II's just annihilated with all three shots from his Burst Laser II. Astronomically low odds, much?

On an unrelated note, mantises with two levels of combat are absolutely ridiculous.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:37 am »

Try having four of them in a four-man teleporter. It was seconds before the enemy ships looked like a set piece from Event Horizon: bits of people everywhere.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 243