Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372927 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3390 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

I had an amazing run in the Zoltan A last night, I was able to get a ionblast II and a burst laser II which took down the flagship quickly since I kept the Halberd. The Zoltan shield is amazing for reducing damage since it will stop the first volley or 2 of missiles and bombs so you can destroy the weapon systems, thus it saves alot of money that would be spent repairing. Is it possible to increase the overall zoltan shield past 5 with the shield drones?

No, the shield drone can't get it past 5. It is pretty amazing on the Zoltan ships, though, since it can 'repair' your super shield if it doesn't go down all the way. I found my Zoltan victory to be pretty easy with one. I think I took...3 hull damage or so, total? It was on Easy, but still...good combo.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 01, 2014, 11:16:56 am »

How long does the shield drone last? Does it eventually stop making new supershield layers?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:14 am »

It lasts until it's destroyed.

I never use drones or missiles, for whatever reason. I like the reliability of lasers and beams.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:24 am »

Drone recovery arms are wonderful things.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 01, 2014, 11:38:30 am »

I dislike missile-using weapons because missiles can run out. Drones are alright.

That's what an explosives replicator is for.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:03 am »

Or the powerful missiles. With those you don't need many. Usually one breach/pegasus/full swarm will do.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3396 on: May 01, 2014, 04:13:52 pm »

Speaking of missing shots, I feel like something is off when trying to hit things related to evasion. (Piloting and Engines.)

While this is purely anecdotal, while playing on normal I've recently had situations where every shot would hit on non-evasion system and then as soon as I switched to the engine or piloting it would miss. I've actually had situations where every shot would miss until I switched to a different, non-evasion-related target, though that might be memory bias.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »

The enemy power juggles. When you damage systems, they put the excess power in other systems, including the engines.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 01, 2014, 05:18:21 pm »

Zoltan ship with a vulcan I bought in sector one and its halberd beam and missile launcher. Get fucked flagship. Also had a weapon igniter so the vulcan shot even faster. Unlocked two ships and layout B. Also did the don't upgrade reactors till sector 5 and the 29 power in systems that run.

Vulcan with a backup missile launcher basically beats everything in the game.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:45 pm »

I still want to see a vulcan + glaive combo. A double superweapon surprise!

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3400 on: May 01, 2014, 06:32:46 pm »

That would take 5 millennia to properly charge up and would always be subject to the unfortunate luck of the AI being smart and aiming for the weapons.

But if the Vulcan could get warmed up and the glaive beam charged before that happened, most ships would die in one hit.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »

Pre-ignitors are wonderful things. Not quite an "I win!" button, but it's probably the closest thing to it in the game.
It's a game. Have fun.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: May 01, 2014, 08:50:26 pm »

Has anyone gotten ion blast II with 3 autoloaders? Or Vulcan with 3 autoloaders? It would probably be very fun.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:33 pm »

That would take 5 millennia to properly charge up and would always be subject to the unfortunate luck of the AI being smart and aiming for the weapons.

But if the Vulcan could get warmed up and the glaive beam charged before that happened, most ships would die in one hit.
The Glaive would charge before the Vulcan got to +5, so the vulcan can spin up and rip apart the enemy shields for a full-power glaive shot. Cloaking (and maybe stealth weapons) would go a long way toward buying the needed time.

Has anyone gotten ion blast II with 3 autoloaders? Or Vulcan with 3 autoloaders? It would probably be very fun.
The closest I got was four Flak Is with three autoloaders and a gold-level gunner. That was the fastest flagship-crushing I've ever performed.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: May 02, 2014, 01:44:24 am »

The Glaive would charge before the Vulcan got to +5, so the vulcan can spin up and rip apart the enemy shields for a full-power glaive shot. Cloaking (and maybe stealth weapons) would go a long way toward buying the needed time.
Vulcan+Glaive sounds pretty useless. If the enemy has 4 strong shields, then you can't damage them at all until the Vulcan fully spins up and takes down their shields altogether. And by that point you are going to murder them very quickly using just the Vulcan alone (since it can demolish their shields then kill their weapons singlehandedly). I suppose you could use it to kill them out a few seconds earlier, but I think that the spare power (and scrap) would be much better spent on defenses/shield piercing weapons.

E: Well, not completely useless, but costing far more scrap then it would be worth, and not really being very awesome either (since I prefer to watch the Vulcan rapidly murdernate them without them being able to do anything about it).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 243