Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372902 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3375 on: April 30, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »

Jesus, greatorder, what the fuck did you DO to RNGesus? Did you make fun of it somehow?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »

Oh it's not just you. I just went two full sectors without running into a shop (except for one, which I would have taken 3 turns behind the fleet lines... i.e. guaranteed dead). After 6 "nothing happens" or "boarders" encounters, it finally gave up and sent a hermes missile at me, so I died before I could jump away.

Added bonus, I had a charge laser 2, swarm missile, hermes missile, hull smasher 2, stun bomb, halberd beam, and combat drone. No shops... can't sell...can't repair.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3377 on: April 30, 2014, 04:04:29 pm »

Hehe, two mantis fighting over a rock ship. Repair the rock ship with a repair drone, and it does a suicide charge at the mantis ships resulting in all the ships exploding.

Never had that happen.
Reminds me of a Blue Text option you can get while playing as a Rock ship. When you get the encounter a Mantis ship covered in Rock body parts, there are two blue text options.
  • (Rock Crew) Put your Rock crew member on the comm.
  • (Rock Plating) Ram the bastards.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: April 30, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »

Yeah, it completely fucks their engines so they can't evade you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: April 30, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »

Recently got this game and I'm having a blast playing it. It's tons of fun!

Question though, do you guys actually play to beat the flagship, or do you just play to reach the 8th area? Checking online it seems that there are really only 2-3 different types of builds that can actually beat it (bombs, teleports, or max hacking) and it basically requires either cloak or max engine RNG luck.

(Also getting the Lanius cruiser cabin pressure loss achievement is hard, I keep losing it because a room will get hacked which closes the doors, leading to oxygen going over 20%.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: April 30, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »

There are tons of ways of beating the flagship. Which way works best partially depends on the ship you're running with.

For instance I beat it recently with a Zoltan ship that had max shield, a shield drone, and a ridiculous laser-bases weapon layout that pulverized the Flagship mercilessly while generally hiding behind my super shield. Ended the game at near max health without stealth or maxed engines. It just requires a little bit of timing and taking out the right systems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:44 pm »

Question though, do you guys actually play to beat the flagship, or do you just play to reach the 8th area? Checking online it seems that there are really only 2-3 different types of builds that can actually beat it (bombs, teleports, or max hacking) and it basically requires either cloak or max engine RNG luck.

We play to beat the Flagship, unless we're just trying to get some sort of "Get to sector 8 while doing this", achievement. There are actually a ton of different ways of beating the Flagship. Ion & beams or drones, Flak & beams or lasers, missiles[With or without other weapons], enough lasers with anything works well, a Vulcan can destroy it all by itself. Pretty much any build that can get through level 4 shields works, as long as you can survive long enough to damage it a lot. Max hacking is probably the one which relies on RNG the least, as a few ships start with it. Cloaking or max shields and engines ARE pretty much required though. The ways you've mentioned are the easiest ways of taking down some of its most dangerous weapons through its shields. Bombs and teleporters are good ways to get the sealed-off weapon rooms taken out ASAP and maxed hacking on their shield room means you don't have to focus on shields nearly as much.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: April 30, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

The first time I beat it I just went with laser spam.

9 lasers a salvo ripped it up but good
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: April 30, 2014, 05:51:02 pm »

I once beat the flagship with three shield layers, a cloak, a double laser, a minibeam, an ion bomb and a single combat drone 1.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: April 30, 2014, 06:21:25 pm »

On easy I've done it a few times with level 3 shields, no cloak, 45% evasion, no hacking and no boarding. I did have a very nice weapons loadout though, pre-igniter, a fair few laser shots, an artemis missile, a halberd beam, 2 defense drones and a large crew on the Kestral A. This was on normal content, which makes the last few sectors far easier (and probably the flagship as well, but I don't know the differences).

So yeah, you can do it in a lot of ways. Even with the above it was just a matter of waiting for weapon cooldowns to line up and targeting the right rooms.
It's a game. Have fun.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:51 pm »

RNG is screwing me over in a different way. This is the third time I have made it to the last stand in Rock C. Haven't seen rock homeworlds yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:36 pm »

RNG is screwing me over in a different way. This is the third time I have made it to the last stand in Rock C. Haven't seen rock homeworlds yet.

That keeps happening to me as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:37 am »

On easy I've done it a few times with level 3 shields, no cloak, 45% evasion, no hacking and no boarding. I did have a very nice weapons loadout though, pre-igniter, a fair few laser shots, an artemis missile, a halberd beam, 2 defense drones and a large crew on the Kestral A. This was on normal content, which makes the last few sectors far easier (and probably the flagship as well, but I don't know the differences).

So yeah, you can do it in a lot of ways. Even with the above it was just a matter of waiting for weapon cooldowns to line up and targeting the right rooms.

From what I understand there are only two ways the flagship can ever be different.  On AE it gets hacking, and there seems to be about a 25% chance on hard mode that the missile and heavy laser systems will have connecting rooms to the main body of the ship.  However the last sector might have a harder layout on higher difficulties, I'm not sure.

The main way that changes is that its much easier to get scrap for the final fight on lower difficulties.  On normal mode my best runs will often end up with me spending scrap on needless upgrades like upgraded medbay.  On hard mode my successful runs barely scrape together a winning build right at the end.

My checklist for the flagship is this:

A way to disable shields.
A way to kill hull in a timely manner.
A cloak or defense drone.  Not mandatory but I always want one of those two things.
Lvl 8 shields, lvl 5 engines.  Easier to get than it sounds because you don't need any items to do so.
One upgrade each into helm and oxygen, to avoid nightmare 0 evade situations and hacked oxygen respectively
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 01, 2014, 04:54:12 am »

It also gets mind control in AE.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: May 01, 2014, 09:28:43 am »

I had an amazing run in the Zoltan A last night, I was able to get a ionblast II and a burst laser II which took down the flagship quickly since I kept the Halberd. The Zoltan shield is amazing for reducing damage since it will stop the first volley or 2 of missiles and bombs so you can destroy the weapon systems, thus it saves alot of money that would be spent repairing. Is it possible to increase the overall zoltan shield past 5 with the shield drones?
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 243