Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372867 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3330 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:28 pm »

Just leave your guys in their shield room.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

Sounds like the problem isn't the regular shields (he hasn't killed all the crew, so the AI hasn't taken over), but the super shield.  I never use the hull laser but sounds like it's really bad at wearing down the shield.  Though it should take quite a while for it to go up again...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: April 28, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »

Oh right.  But between the stun bomb and the hull laser that shouldn't take too long?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »

If he's more or less safe from everything else, it's just a matter of grinding down that shield with what he has, or damaging hull-points through boarders (depending on if there's few enough left compared to rooms to damage). It sounds like a win, just a slow, laborious one.
It's a game. Have fun.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: April 28, 2014, 09:09:32 pm »

Yeah he could kill the last crewmember just to let the boarders do hull damage as the systems repair, if he wants to risk it.
I'm sure the fight's long over now of course  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Yeah, I'd kill that last crew member, have a boarder in each dangerous weapon (2) and one/two in the shields. Then wait and hull laser when you can. Just because (assumedly) he finished the battle hours ago doesn't mean we can't theory-craft our own victories :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:23:10 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »

So I'm having a run, and here's the sector map:

Dat purple.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: April 28, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »

But as long as you overstock fuel, it's great. More jumps without squat, but more potential jumps in total. On harder levels, more encounters as well. Which means more scrap. As well as a nice green run to spend it on, well before the last sectors.

Looks like a great shopping run actually, depending on the ship.

Zoltan, purple, green, green, purple, red. Yayyyy!!!!"
It's a game. Have fun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: April 28, 2014, 10:45:46 pm »

I've found running out of fuel to be far deadlier in the AE.  First of all with hard mode you can't afford to let the fleet advance without getting something in return.  Secondly, before you could just kill the elite fighters for 1 fuel each if you were badass enough, which made your build more important than your fuel.  Now with the ASB, extended fights with the rebel fleet are suicide.

So now I have a policy that no matter how much fuel I have, I always go for more.  Prior to sector 7 you can never have enough fuel.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: April 28, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »

Yeah. On normal or hard, overstock a bit. It's worth having 10-15 at all times, just to make sure, even with the scrap costs. The additional events in AE means there's a slightly smaller percentage of "easy fuel" events, and rebels/randoms have a greater chance of being horribly damaging to your underfunded "niche" ship. Even outpacing the fleet and putting on your beacon will, on average, have a bigger chance of being bad for you.

Normal or Hard on Normal Content isn't half as challenging as with Advanced Content, just due to the lack of variety in the former.

edit: And.... Arrrgggghhhh. I'm just going to have to start using my backup PC. I'll be fixing my normal box on Tuesday. Tried watching Northernlion's let's plays, but it just makes me want to slap him. How can someone NOT know how to vent oxygen properly after making 21 videos of this game? Fuck I hate pretend-dumb youTubers, even more if he is that dumb. Why make a that many videos if you can't fucking learn a basic part of a game? Whatever. It's because it earns him money. I need a new job......
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:33:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: April 28, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »

I almost never bought fuel before AE, and I think I ran out of fuel less then 10 times total (probably less then 5). It was just not ever a major concern.

Now I buy fuel all the time, and try to keep at least 20 stockpiled if possible... but I still think something like 20% - 25% of my runs are ended due to running out of fuel and getting picked apart by the ASB.

It's not just the ASB, Fuel is definitely a lot more rare. it's very frustrating because it's just one more RNG thing totally out of your control. No shops? better hope you win the fuel lotto.

(I play on normal, not hard, so it's not that either)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: April 28, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »

Yeah, I'd kill that last crew member, have a boarder in each dangerous weapon (2) and one/two in the shields. Then wait and hull laser when you can. Just because (assumedly) he finished the battle hours ago doesn't mean we can't theory-craft our own victories :)

I didn't. I saved & quit and did something else. I'll probably just spam hull laser untill I win tommorow. Except sometimes the boss's power surge gets a laser through my shields because my cloak wasn't up in time. If he gets me too wounded, I'll do the "kill the last crewmember and then keep destroying the Flagship's systems over and over again thing". It doesn't help that the stun bomb just goes right through the Zoltan shield because Zoltan Shield Bypass.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: April 29, 2014, 12:17:38 am »

I almost never bought fuel before AE, and I think I ran out of fuel less then 10 times total (probably less then 5). It was just not ever a major concern.

Now I buy fuel all the time, and try to keep at least 20 stockpiled if possible... but I still think something like 20% - 25% of my runs are ended due to running out of fuel and getting picked apart by the ASB.

It's not just the ASB, Fuel is definitely a lot more rare. it's very frustrating because it's just one more RNG thing totally out of your control. No shops? better hope you win the fuel lotto.

(I play on normal, not hard, so it's not that either)

One thing I would recommend is to go to green sectors.  All of them spawn more shops.  I think there's at least 1 or 2 guaranteed in each, although guaranteed could still mean spawning in the lower left corner when you spawn upper left.

Another thing I would recommend is to go with a boarding focus and seek out non-rebel non-abandoned red sectors.  A good boarding ship that gets in enough fights should never run out of fuel.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: April 29, 2014, 02:17:15 am »

So much randomness!

Is there a mod to change event outcomes allowing a skill based check? Not just with blie being better, but, i.e. having a strong mantis shift the outcome of giant spiders a bit toward good results

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: April 29, 2014, 06:30:38 am »

I don't think it's really possible to be screwed by fuel purely due to bad luck, even on hard.  Remember that you can accept surrenders, and they often give a lot of fuel.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 243