Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372813 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3165 on: April 21, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

My last run with a zoltan A I had 2 ions and 2 flak II's.

Maybe not as good as that, but still really good.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »

Notice that he's leaving his Burst II unpowered because it's the worst weapon he has. :D

Good lord, even I could probably win with that ship. :o

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 21, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »

So, my mantis C is staring at the completely incapacitated Phase 1 flagship. Staring is all I can do, because the only method of actual hull damage I have is a hull missile with 2 missiles remaining.

In retrospect, I have only myself to blame for this one (but it is kinda funny, nonetheless).

If only I could ram the thing...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »

So, my mantis C is staring at the completely incapacitated Phase 1 flagship. Staring is all I can do, because the only method of actual hull damage I have is a hull missile with 2 missiles remaining.

Boarding possible?  I was in a similar situation, but I got out of it by sending boarders in to whittle its hp's down by killing the missile system over and over.  The AI would fix it as soon as I left, I'd break it, over and over until I got them to the few hp I needed for my last Swarm missile to kill it. 

PS. make sure you kill the piloting desk, you don't want them dodging your last missile!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:18:00 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »

In retrospect, I have only myself to blame for this one (but it is kinda funny, nonetheless).

If only I could ram the thing...

If the base isn't screwed you could go out in the world and try to find a better weapon.  Also what Werdna said.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:24 pm »

Everything on the flagship proper was in the red, I had 4 mantis boarders and had used missiles already to disable the medbay and kill all but the burst laser gunner. I hadn't reached the flagship til it was on the base, and all adjoining jumps are either clear or rebel-occupied, so I couldn't leave to find more munitions. I'm kinda cool with it, though, it was my first decent run in a while.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 21, 2014, 03:33:16 pm »

Do you have at least 1 crew? (Answer: yes) You can still win! Just destroy his evasion, let the AI repair things and then rebreak them, and then kill it with a hull missile. Repeat on Stage 2. In the last phase, sacrifice a crewmember to finish it off!

Boarding parties deal hull damage when they destroy systems

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 21, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »

Everything on the flagship proper was in the red, I had 4 mantis boarders and had used missiles already to disable the medbay and kill all but the burst laser gunner. I hadn't reached the flagship til it was on the base, and all adjoining jumps are either clear or rebel-occupied, so I couldn't leave to find more munitions. I'm kinda cool with it, though, it was my first decent run in a while.

in real life that kinda would be a win

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »

By killing their burst gunner, they'd have no crew and you'll get an "AI takes over the ship" warning.  The AI will then auto-repair one system at a time, so as soon as you see a system turn orange you beam your guys over and trash it.  This allows you to endlessly trash systems, and whittle down the ship hull 1 point at a time.  You don't even have to lose a guy, so long as you still have a missile left to do the final point(s) of damage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 21, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »

He said he was on the first form and only had two missiles, so he'll lose *2* guys.

Actually, unless he has a Zoltan bypass, I guess there's no way for him to beat the final form, but beating it once will push it away from the base and give him an opportunity to collect some more materials and maybe grab a few more missiles.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: April 21, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »

Good point, but that's assuming he doesn't have weapons in storage.  When I ran into my bone-headed missile build (it was kinda hilarious - fire bomb, breach bomb, swarm... the whole thing was an inferno and had breach holes all over and yet I had to resort to that trick to finish the stupid thing), I was able to swap in other weapons afterwards for the final fight. 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »

He said he was on the first form and only had two missiles, so he'll lose *2* guys.

Actually, unless he has a Zoltan bypass, I guess there's no way for him to beat the final form, but beating it once will push it away from the base and give him an opportunity to collect some more materials and maybe grab a few more missiles.

Got it in one. I had no zoltan bypass, the surrounding beacons were rebel-owned (only get 1 fuel) and the nearest repair was two jumps away. Best case, I'd have parked a mantis in each gun turret to work it over as it gets auto-repaired, cloak to dodge the drone swarm in phase 2, and still been stymied by the Z-shield in phase 3. I think the worst part is I actually had a combat I drone at some point in the run but I sold it for the DNA backup, which saved my entire boarding party at least once. Hard choice and lack of foresight on my part.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: April 21, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »

If the nearest repair was only two jumps away, you had plenty of time to restock. Driving the Boss off from the base gives you 5 turns before you have to fight him again.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: April 21, 2014, 05:05:21 pm »

If the nearest repair was only two jumps away, you had plenty of time to restock. Driving the Boss off from the base gives you 5 turns before you have to fight him again.

I did not know that. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I didn't immediately pursue and destroy the flagship after each phase.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »

So I'm loving this current Stealth B run. I utterly annihilated the couple Sector 8 enemies I faced before engaging the Flagship, and just decided to engage it.
Spoiler: Quite Large (click to show/hide)

Edit: In my cargo, I have a hull repair drone and a Hermes missile as well, just in case.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:14:10 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 243