Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372830 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3135 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:09 pm »

Sure, you might run into some rough enemies before that happens, but nothing in the first sector should have the firepower to take you out in the Stealth B before you either kill it or escape, so long as you're managing your crew efficiently.
What about my one Stealth B run where on the third jump an event damaged and set fire to my weapons and cloak and breached my engines, and then a pirate attacked me?
Strictly speaking, this isn't an issue of "something in the first sector having the firepower to take you out". :P

The new "system damage events" can certainly make the ol'screw-you of the rng a bit more painful. I did say such things would be rare rather than impossible.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: April 21, 2014, 12:01:51 am »

By killing the supplying ship or waiting for it to leave?

I'm not sure we're talking about the same event here.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: April 21, 2014, 12:06:45 am »

Speaking of the RNG screwing you over...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:58 am »

But the stealth C doesn't have shields OR a cloak

Ok... how is stealth C even a stealth ship?

We had a lot of fun with that very question. It's even painted camo orange!

So Stealth C is a Ninja?

Does it have a pre-ignitor?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:48 am »

Finally made a successful run. Had a Kestral with mind control and hacking, alongside the Artemis, Hull Laser, and Burst Laser II. Unlocked the Zoltan ship and got the shield from that. About time, too. My cousin just beat the flagship for the first time tonight as well.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: April 21, 2014, 12:56:18 am »

Honestly the more I play AE, the more I feel like some of the new stuff is way too frustrating to be reliably useful. I'd like to take every cloning bay the game gives me and rip it from the ships piece by piece, then fling those pieces into a sun. I fucking hate cloning bays.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: April 21, 2014, 01:05:33 am »

Why?  They let you take events that might kill your crew.

Before I memorized most of those just so I could avoid them.  Oh giant alien spiders, you lovable rascals.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: April 21, 2014, 01:09:47 am »

So I got the Captain's Edition mod and the Infinite Space mod thing to go with it, and Infinite Space doesn't seem to so much add sandboxing as it does a goddamn RIDICULOUS amount of grinding.  Level one upgrades to your passive systems, like doors, are 100 dosh for the first level, and powered-systems are relatively equivalent.  New systems and weapons range around 100-255.  It's pretty annoying, and stuff gets really repetitive, since enemies don't scale up until you hork a huge amount of fuel to go to the next tier of sectors.  Basically, if you don't fork over that fuel, you get to replay another first-sector, and get like 18 scrap for each fight, while fighting super-noob-tier stuff over and over.

Bleeeh.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:32 am »

Why?  They let you take events that might kill your crew.

Before I memorized most of those just so I could avoid them.  Oh giant alien spiders, you lovable rascals.

They force you to play like an idiot in actual encounters and make the game feel like it's wasting my time. You can't heal crew to full, so the choices are either suicide the low-health crew after a fight, and lose skill points (waste my time getting them back), or they're forced into easily compromised situations where random boarders or attrition damage leaves them near-dead after an escape, then an EMP'd clone bay just kills off 3 crew because fuck you.

Yeah, you can bypass SOME of the crew kills, but at least 2 still kill them off for real, and one of the clone bay blue options gives you hostile boarders and hull damage. Med Bay can get engi med-bots, which boost it. Clone bay has to BUY the DNA storage augment, which helps it suck less. Apart from a handful of non-combat events, it just seems inferior to a medbay in every possible way, forcing you to pay a tax to replace it, or forcing you into an easily compromised situation to cost you crew because RNG says they die.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:55 am »

5 jumps is enough that you'll see a minibeam in that time, and each time that beam hits your weapons sets you back one.  Stealth C definitely isn't great but it can at least take a hit to the weapon's bay/have its weapon bay upgraded for a not ridiculous amount of scrap.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:51 am »

Does anyone have any tips for the Zoltan A?
I absolutely loathe it after a few completely failed attempts, but maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: April 21, 2014, 03:32:34 am »

Nah, you're probably not doing anything wrong. The Leto is quite possibly the crummiest weapon in the game (if it isn't it's a serious competitor) and if you don't get weapons by the time enemies with two layer shields show up you're basically screwed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: April 21, 2014, 03:54:33 am »

The Leto is quite possibly the crummiest weapon in the game (if it isn't it's a serious competitor)

I'd split worst weapons by category personally.

Though frankly what will usually always win out the "worst weapon ever" contests are the 3-4 energy weapons.

1 energy weapons, even the cruddiest tends to have a "Well at least I can squeeze it out for extra firepower". While even the worst 2 TENDS to at least be a halfway decent level 1 weapon.

But WOW, and I mean wow... can some of the worst weapons find their way into the 3 and 4 energy range.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: April 21, 2014, 04:00:27 am »

The Leto should theoretically be acceptable a few sectors in, the problem is that an implausible amount of enemies will take odd numbered shield upgrades that do nothing except block one point of damage, and if they have that the Leto is essentially worthless.

Zoltan A is still a decent ship in my mind because everything it gets besides the Leto is excellent.  3 of the most useful race, both super and normal shields, and a Halberd Beam is the makings of a great ship if you can get a burst laser or something.

3-4 energy weapons are never going to be useless because having them makes it very difficult to be 100% locked out by enemy shields.  The exceptions are the beams, but those are genuinely good weapons if paired with pretty much anything that doesn't use missiles.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: April 21, 2014, 04:05:04 am »

3-4 weapons being useless... happens. One of them is a Ion weapon that has a fire rate slower then the recovery time. (though that could have been a 2)

But I am talking about worst weapons... and even a Mini-laser is a pretty great weapon for its energy requirement. (Heck if you had 4 of them, you would actually be pretty decently armed... heck while I question if you could beat the boss, you could easily rock enemies up to the boss)

A weapon that takes up 4 weapon energy slots and doesn't give you 4 energy worth of firepower... is often pretty lousy. For example that SUPER long beam (which I assume is decent against the last boss... if his shields stay down long enough)... If you are good with beams, like I am, you can easily outdamage that and always hit the good systems.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:09:42 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 243