Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372829 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3120 on: April 20, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »

Stealth B also takes a hit from early mini-beams, which is a bit of a problem because they are super common.

I tried stealth b again because so many people like it. I still hate it. One shot to the weapons and you lose your chance to do any damage. Long cool down weapons are so painful to have shut down. On top of that even cloaked there is a 25 percent chance you will get hit.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »

Stealth B also takes a hit from early mini-beams, which is a bit of a problem because they are super common.

Not if you drop another level into cloak.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: April 20, 2014, 08:38:08 pm »

I tried again with Stealth A and did much better. You just need to cloak exactly as they fire and aim at their weapons. Still its a dangerous game, if I get hacked or 2 damage on my stealth systems im toast.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: April 20, 2014, 08:45:56 pm »

Not if you drop another level into cloak.
You have to get the required scrap first. Unless, of course, you cheat mod the game to give extra scrap at start.

I really don't understand GG. I find it hard to believe that you seem to have never had a bad start to a run, especially with the Stealth ship. One bad combination of events can be crippling or even game-ending for any ship, let alone one without shields.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »

It's 50 scrap to upgrade the cloak to max. That's 2-5 jumps, depending on difficulty. Sure, you might run into some rough enemies before that happens, but nothing in the first sector should have the firepower to take you out in the Stealth B before you either kill it or escape, so long as you're managing your crew efficiently.

My last Hard run with the Stealth C left me with 2 hull after the first jump (enemy ship had a minibeam, beam drone, and... something else, I forgot, but it hit my drone room right off the bat), and I still made it to the end of Sector 3 - a bad start is understandable, but most of the time it's not the bad start that kills people, it's giving up.

But the stealth C doesn't have shields OR a cloak, nor does it have particularly good weaponry, so it's a lot more difficult than the stealth B. I honestly can't see having much of a bad start with the Stealth B. I mean, it's possible, I'm sure, but it's just... not super likely.

Also, don't wait for the enemy to fire and then cloak until you get more engines. While it's a nice trick, the max cloak gives you more than enough time to fire before they fire their weapons, which is far preferable. You've got the Long Range scanners, so you can avoid environmental hazards pretty easily - actually, I can see the map screwing you over once in a while, I had one that forced me through two asteroid sectors a couple months ago (only path to end beacon), before AE came out, and I think that may have managed to kill me when the second one had beams.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:59:26 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: April 20, 2014, 09:02:06 pm »

But the stealth C doesn't have shields OR a cloak

Ok... how is stealth C even a stealth ship?

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:56 pm »

Federation C is fun as hell.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »

But the stealth C doesn't have shields OR a cloak

Ok... how is stealth C even a stealth ship?

We had a lot of fun with that very question. It's even painted camo orange!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 20, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »

It's 50 scrap to upgrade the cloak to max. That's 2-5 jumps, depending on difficulty. Sure, you might run into some rough enemies before that happens, but nothing in the first sector should have the firepower to take you out in the Stealth B before you either kill it or escape, so long as you're managing your crew efficiently.

My last Hard run with the Stealth C left me with 2 hull after the first jump (enemy ship had a minibeam, beam drone, and... something else, I forgot, but it hit my drone room right off the bat), and I still made it to the end of Sector 3 - a bad start is understandable, but most of the time it's not the bad start that kills people, it's giving up.

But the stealth C doesn't have shields OR a cloak, nor does it have particularly good weaponry, so it's a lot more difficult than the stealth B. I honestly can't see having much of a bad start with the Stealth B. I mean, it's possible, I'm sure, but it's just... not super likely.

Also, don't wait for the enemy to fire and then cloak until you get more engines. While it's a nice trick, the max cloak gives you more than enough time to fire before they fire their weapons, which is far preferable. You've got the Long Range scanners, so you can avoid environmental hazards pretty easily - actually, I can see the map screwing you over once in a while, I had one that forced me through two asteroid sectors a couple months ago (only path to end beacon), before AE came out, and I think that may have managed to kill me when the second one had beams.
I posted a couple of times earlier about early jumps causing game-ending damage thanks to a combination of events and weaponry. If, for instance, a random event disables your engines, good luck getting away before taking severe damage. Especially if the enemy has several beam weapons or drones. It can and has happened. You can cloak to avoid it as long as you can, but you won't get away before it wears off.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: April 20, 2014, 11:23:33 pm »

Doublepost: Does the Anti-Ship Battery count as an environmental hazard for the purposes of the Stealth Cruiser achievement? It didn't show up from the Long-Range Scanners but randomly appeared during a battle.

Same question re: nebula. I started a new sector (not a nebula sector either) right inside a nebula. No plasma storms, but have I lost my chance for the achievement already?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: April 20, 2014, 11:29:12 pm »

Enviromental hazards are anything that shows up on the long range scanner as an enviromental hazard. That means: Ion storms, Pulsars, Fire sun thingys and Asteroid belts.
That does not mean nebulas or Anti-Ship Batteries.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: April 20, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »

Thank goodness. I snagged a pre-ignitor from a store in the first sector and it's allowing me to dominate at the moment.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: April 20, 2014, 11:45:52 pm »

Is there any positive outcome to stealing supplies from the rebel civilians? I've either gotten nothing or damage. Getting damage just ended my Shivan run where I was gifted, amongst other things, a Fire Beam, a Burst Laser I, an Ion II, a Halberd Beam, and a Chain Vulcan.

Sure, you might run into some rough enemies before that happens, but nothing in the first sector should have the firepower to take you out in the Stealth B before you either kill it or escape, so long as you're managing your crew efficiently.

What about my one Stealth B run where on the third jump an event damaged and set fire to my weapons and cloak and breached my engines, and then a pirate attacked me?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: April 20, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »

Is there any positive outcome to stealing supplies from the rebel civilians?

I've gotten large amounts of loot from them, so yeah.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:08 pm »

By killing the supplying ship or waiting for it to leave?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 243