Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372932 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3030 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:00 am »

btw the Defense Scrambler or whatever it's called is fantastic for anyone with a lot of drones or missiles. It takes an augment slot and just renders all defense drones 100% useless.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:14 am »

Considering how I haven't seen the Rock Homeworlds even once since the update...
Haven't had a chance to nab that crystal pod either, so I think the crystal ship will be forever locked to me.

I think Rock Homeworlds are red sectors in general. I could be wrong.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3032 on: April 18, 2014, 11:59:20 am »

I just remembered, isn't the victory chain unlock for Engi the Fed Cruiser?

So he didn't have to reach a rebel stronghold, but still. That run is really impressive.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »

Considering how I haven't seen the Rock Homeworlds even once since the update...
Haven't had a chance to nab that crystal pod either, so I think the crystal ship will be forever locked to me.

I think Rock Homeworlds are red sectors in general. I could be wrong.
They are. Even aiming for red sectors I never find them. But since I never find the pod, let alone the research station to release the crystal inside, there's not much point in finding them anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:34 pm »

They are. Even aiming for red sectors I never find them. But since I never find the pod, let alone the research station to release the crystal inside, there's not much point in finding them anyway.

Do you have the Rock ship unlocked? You don't need Crystal crew to unlock the Rock Ship. And once it's unlocked, you can also unlock the C type and get the crystal ship that way (or beat the game with the ship that comes before the Crystal ship, which I can't remember the name of)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: April 18, 2014, 12:09:25 pm »

I do have the Rock ship, but I don't have the type B unlocked. And the only other way I can see to unlock the crystal ship is to beat the game with A AND B layouts of every other ship.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:04 pm »

Basically, for the portal to the crystal sector event, you need a crystal crew member. Rock C has one or more Crystal crew members, so you can get it without the stasis pod + stasis researchers events.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

Still need the B layout to do that, and the last achievement for B requires plenty of luck as well (need a teleporter, rock boarders, a fire weapon, and preferably a way to keep enemy crew from fleeing a burning room).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »

I mean, you start with Rock crew, so the need for "rock boarders" is a non-issue. You've got them.

Beyond that, you do need a teleporter, but you *don't* need a fire weapon, since most regular weapons have a chance of causing fire as well. The artemis missile itself has a fire chance. Keep throwing that at the enemy medbay, and so long as that's the only thing you're attacking eventually lighting it on fire (and then sending your boarders over) should be fairly trivial.

So the only thing you should need is a teleporter, really, and teleports are freakin' everywhere in shops, being one of the more common buyables.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »

I tend to want additional crew members to man the engines or whatever while the boarders are away.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »

You start with 3 rockmen, that is enough.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 18, 2014, 01:04:46 pm »

Also, all you need to do is focus on that achievement. You don't need to worry about winning with the ship, which makes things much easier. You can really focus on just tailoring your ship for that specific goal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:33 pm »

Also, all you need to do is focus on that achievement. You don't need to worry about winning with the ship, which makes things much easier. You can really focus on just tailoring your ship for that specific goal.

Depends on the achievement. For some (all C class ships) it's "Make it to sector 8 in a B class", which takes a while anyway, so you may as well splat your ship against the flagship for giggles and !science!. It's not hard to do, but you just may as well follow through at that point and try stuff out.

Everything else gets turned into fleet chaff the moment the achievement pops up.

I've got an idea that it's a part if the back-story. Achievements are the real reason the rebels exist. No sane captain can put up with the federation's promotion and ship allocation scheme anymore.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:51:34 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »

It seems that you can find out why the rebels are fighting when you get the Zoltan Ambassador Quest. Apparently they hate aliens, so I'm guessing its a reference to STs Terran Empire or something

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 18, 2014, 05:56:29 pm »

Depends on the achievement. For some (all C class ships) it's "Make it to sector 8 in a B class", which takes a while anyway, so you may as well splat your ship against the flagship for giggles and !science!. It's not hard to do, but you just may as well follow through at that point and try stuff out.

Yeah, I was specifically talking about the B class ship achievements, though. Those don't necessarily require getting to sector 8 at all, and some are actually easiest early on if you can nab the right gear.

Not that you necessarily have to stop or shouldn't try to beat the boss, just that you don't have to worry about whether or not your Achievement geared ship is going to be a good match or not.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 243