Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372956 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2970 on: April 16, 2014, 06:53:44 am »

Was playing with the engi ship last night. I ended up with two fast ion weapons and two fire beam drones.

I got so many crew kills... most fights ended with me taking no damage and the entire enemy crew dying from fire or lack of oxygen.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 16, 2014, 07:33:42 am »

So I finally picked this up the other week.

Started out slowly, didn't particularly have any decent luck with the first cruiser, but got far enough to unlock the engi-a, which started out tricky, but I got to the final stage with two attack and one defensive drone and a couple of piddly weapons. The boss then proceeded to rape me repeatedly (yes, I save scum when I think I've got a chance), so that was a bit an eye opener.
Still, it unlocked the stealth-a, so this play through was all new...

I proceeded nicely through the first two sectors, picking up stealth weapons and shields x2, along with a heavy beam, so it feels like a really nice setup so far, microing the weapons and cloak is a bit tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it. I think I like the stealth more than either of the others so far.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks they'd like to share for stealthing the boss? I'm hoping that an upgraded cloak with shields for backup will keep me alive, but I've not even been able to crack his shields yet  :o

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:12 am »

Heavier weapons or a hacker on their Shields.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:41 am »

yeah pretty much going in with a cloak and hacking its shields is a really good way to go. It's what I did with a zoltan cruiser and using a halberd beam + lasers was more than enough.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:13 am »

Well, for stealth you best cloak after the boss fires his weaponry. Stealth gives a very good dodge bonus, allowing you to dodge his missile weaponry. Hopefully, by the time it recharges you cloak has recharged as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:57 am »

Well, for stealth you best cloak after the boss fires his weaponry. Stealth gives a very good dodge bonus, allowing you to dodge his missile weaponry. Hopefully, by the time it recharges you cloak has recharged as well.

It is why it is better not to use your cloak at level 3 against that level of boss unless you are doing emergency repairs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:43 am »

I tend to keep cloak level 1 unless I have weapons with really long charge times.  I use it to avoid already fired weapons as a sort of poor man's defense drone that also happens to work against ion and the AI randomly managing to volley fire lasers.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:51 am »

I figured a longer cloak could be a double edged sword. I think I'll go for hacking as soon as I can find it then, and hope I can do enough damage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:18 am »

I figured a longer cloak could be a double edged sword. I think I'll go for hacking as soon as I can find it then, and hope I can do enough damage.

Sort of... It can also be a life saver since if you have a vital system hit, you can essentially just cloak and fix it... while also having your weapons in the ready.

For my Missile build I used level 2 cloak because it allowed me to set up my missile volley for when I decloaked.

I also forgot that weapons don't recharge while you cloak (enemy weapons that is)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 16, 2014, 11:50:24 am »

It is why it is better not to use your cloak at level 3 against that level of boss unless you are doing emergency repairs.

His weapons don't charge while the cloak is up, so the first form this doesn't matter. His special abilities however, DO, and for form 2 you want to use the cloak to avoid the drone swarm, and for for three you want to use it to avoid the super weapon, both of which don't last as long as a single point cloak.

You're still better *off* using max cloak, at least for the first of each of these, but you need to use it early - something that's difficult for people to do unless they've got a lot of experience fighting the boss and know how to time it well. Max cloak will allow you to dodge, for example, the initial missile volley AND the first drone swarm, and the max cloak pushes the missile recharge time much closer to the next swarm which might allow you to dodge both again.

But there's a good deal more micro going into that - 1 pip of cloak and just taking the missiles on the chin is a lot easier (or, if you have high shield and decent dodge, max cloaking to avoid the missiles and taking the drone swarm/super weapon on the chin).

Also, to maximize recharge rate, you want to fire all your weapons at *just* the right time to end the cloak immediately after the swam ends/weapon fires. For the drones, often a bit before to be honest, depending on weapon enemy charge rates, since you can usually weather a couple seconds of drone with no damage as long as the enemy isn't firing their main weapons on top of it.

The cooldown on the cloak is the same no matter what, the reason for 1 pip is that it *ends* the cloak sooner.

I'd also recommend dumping stealth weapons before the final boss unless you're running rapid fire stuff (Ion 2, Vulcan, etc.) and counting on sustained pressure, since being able to sync fire and immediately end the cloak, at just the right time, is the easiest way to insure you have it ready for the next bit.

Although obviously, yeah, if you've got damage or guys need to heal, cloaking at max really gives you a chance to catch your breath... but it means you're more likely to eat the next volley of the enemies special weapon, so it's a risk/reward scenario.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:41 pm »

I do have stealth weapons as well, (plus two free augment slots), so firing doesn't end the cloak.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 16, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »

Flagship victory with the stealth cruiser. Teleporters + Hacking + Defense Scrambler Augmentation = MAGIC.

Best part of that victory? A grand total of 3 points of energy were ever allocated to my guns.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:17:04 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 16, 2014, 05:50:06 pm »

I think I'm going to have to put this game down for a long time. Just got to the third phase of the flagship, took out every system and all the crew, no shields, one hp bar left, and he kills me with a missile barrage that takes off five bars from my hull. I just can't stand that ship's cheating.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »

How could he have killed you with a missile barrage if you took out every system?  :o

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »

How could he have killed you with a missile barrage if you took out every system?  :o
I think he meant the power surge with all the green laser things in the third stage.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 243