Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372973 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2910 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:55 pm »

This game fucking hates me. So, I unlock the basilisk and I decide to give it a spin. Fast forward to sector 8, I've got a clone bay and the reconstructive teleporter and zoltan shield bypass augments. However, my only weapons are a 2-charge laser and a burst laser 2, barely enough to pierce the flagship's shields. So, fast forward a bit, the mantis storm has killed everyone aboard the flagship except for triple laser guy. I win the first phase with only 1 hull lost. In phase 2, the drone surge takes out a lot of hull, but I beat that too. No problem, I saw a repair station right next to the federation base.. But the rebels took it over. Fuck. I lost to a laser surge afterwards.

EDIT: Also, would somebody mind explaining how the hell am I supposed to properly use Mantis C?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:27:54 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: April 14, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »

You might have been doorhacked at some point.  In any case that achievement is really annoying, I'd just go for the other two.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: April 14, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

You might have been doorhacked at some point.  In any case that achievement is really annoying, I'd just go for the other two.
And that's why I just dismissed my human crewmember, turned off oxygen, and played like normal to get that achievement.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »

Right now I'm doing Easy mode to re-unlock all my ships. I usually play on Normal, though. Haven't tried Hard yet, but I imagine I'll do that once I'm doing with all the unlocks, just to see how it is. Normal mode is probably where I'll stay, though. Easy is generally too easy for me, although if I'm a little careless or really unlucky I can still lose.

Lost my last run, actually. Going with Redtail and had a great weapons set-up. A Chain laser, Vulcan laser, and two basic lasers. Chewed through enemy shields like no one's business and made it very easy to go through most fights. Could not for the life of me get any defense drones, though, which cost me at the very end despite my Cloaking. Enemy MC'd my door controller who proceeded to smash them to bits with the help of a boarders. Then my cloaking room got set on fire and I couldn't get to it in time since all my crew was busy fighting off boarders, and I couldn't vent because the doors were out. Cue the next super-weapon shot taking out my weapons and shields while fires broke out everywhere from the enemy drone blasting me.

If I'd been just a bit faster with a few things I probably could have salvaged it but I wasn't giving the game 100% attention because my fiance kept asking me questions about wedding stuff. *sigh* I should know better than to try to do boss fights when I might get distracted.

Wasn't a waste, though. I unlocked the Kestral C, the Rock Cruiser, and the Lineus ship on that run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: April 14, 2014, 03:07:05 pm »

Glad to see you guys are on the same difficulty level as me. I thought I was doing something wrong

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »

I've tried to play on hard exclusively since the update, the only exception was that I switched down to Easy to unlock Slug C.  I like that there are way fewer "timewaster" ships that can't do anything to you on hard.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: April 14, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

What difficulty do you guys play on? I just play on Easy, but still cannot beat the boss

I (try to) play on Hard, because I generally play games on the hardest difficulty possible.

Getting caught by the fleet is a death sentence. Running out of fuel is a death sentence. Scrap rewards seem better spent on upgrading engines and shields than purchasing weapons or systems in stores. If I had eighty scrap in Sector 1 and came across a Burst Laser II in a store, I'm not sure I would buy it.

I played the hell out of Normal when FTL first came out but I'm really struggling with Hard mode, and haven't played it as much as a result.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: April 14, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »

When you beat the boss the first time, it's MUCH easier.

You know the winning combos, the losing combos, what to take out when...

Up until then, the boss is a cheaty bastard ship.

Ehh he is still a cheaty bastard ship even after that.

You are just the cheaty bastard who knows the cheat that beats the cheat.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: April 14, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

That isn't really true, although that's how I thought at first (I used boarding to win every time for quite a while).  After winning a few times with different setups you can expand your criteria to be more general.  Mine are pretty much:
- A way to take down the missiles before they beat you up too badly in all three stages.  This can be accomplished either through weapons strong enough to blast straight through or defenses good enough that you can turtle.
- A way to survive the power surges.  Cloaks are best for this, but decent shields+engines combined with a good crew to recover afterwards also works fine.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »

Just lost a federation cruiser ship to lanius boarders taking out my 2 tile medbay and then taking out the oxygen supply. The crew slowly died fighting them off and even after killing them our oxygen had depleted too much and with the medbay busted...yeah. Everyone choked to death.

Lesson learned, upgrade medbay or oxygen supply before going into abandoned sectors.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: April 14, 2014, 08:08:10 pm »

What difficulty do you guys play on? I just play on Easy, but still cannot beat the boss

I (try to) play on Hard, because I generally play games on the hardest difficulty possible.

Getting caught by the fleet is a death sentence. Running out of fuel is a death sentence. Scrap rewards seem better spent on upgrading engines and shields than purchasing weapons or systems in stores. If I had eighty scrap in Sector 1 and came across a Burst Laser II in a store, I'm not sure I would buy it.

I played the hell out of Normal when FTL first came out but I'm really struggling with Hard mode, and haven't played it as much as a result.
Heh, I ran out of fuel on one of my hard runs. I waited, and got all 4(5?) of the "The fleet is delayed for 1 jump" events in a single turn, as well as getting another event that let me get enough fuel to escape.

Totally agree about getting caught by the fleet though. Best case scenario is that you manage to only take like 5 damage before warping to the next sector, but now it usually ends up leading to your death.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: April 14, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »

I don't tangle with the fleet if I can avoid it, but if you get 4 engines before doing so you can usually get away with just the single ASB hit and a few missile strikes.  If you have a cloak it's also a lot less dangerous.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »

Had my first victory with my newly unlocked stealth cruiser. Had a flak mk1, a halberd beam, and the chain burst laser, along with 4 shields and maxed stealth. Also had rock plating and titanium frame augmentations which helped mitigate damage. No drones, just hacking and a clone bay for extra systems. It was really close at the end, all the flagship's crew was dead except for the two dudes manning the weapons, because the entire enemy crew tried boarding my ship. They all died by asphyxiation or throwing my cloned crew at them during stealth. It got pretty hectic.

Also unlocked the rock ship during that run. Might move on to a difficulty besides easy now that I got everything except the crystal ship, the slug cruiser, and various ship layouts.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:00:28 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: April 14, 2014, 09:04:18 pm »

So, running FTL Captain's Edition with the Rock B. I've got my 3-power, 4-damage, 1-shield-piercing Artillery Laser, as well as a fire bomb. I've got 2 shields, and 3bars of weapons power.

I run into an auto-scout. The event disables 1 bar of weapons power. The auto-scout has a beam that can't penetrate my shields, and a laser it refuses to power up for no reason.

I am also out of fuel.

-Sighs-

EDIT: Among other things, I got a pre-igniter on my second beacon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:47 pm »

If you stall the ship long enough you'll eventually get an event where it gives you fuel.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 243