Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372995 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2850 on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »

Assuming you start at 100% oxygen repairing the system usually isn't too much of a priority.  Most battles will finish long before your oxygen drops to a dangerous level.

Nonstop attacks from enemies with missiles DOES make it impossible, especially if, as I'd said, shops aren't selling good stuff. Or intended to say. I think I forgot what I was saying halfway through it and ended it prematurely. If you start off with a defence drone, it makes it much easier to survive missile ships.
You keep asserting this, but in hard mode most ships have missiles and it's still perfectly beatable.  "The shops aren't selling good stuff" just isn't really possible - you will almost certainly find one of those things in the course of your game (assuming you didn't start with them).

Shields were at level four, evasion was about 25%, which in hindsight, I should have made higher. Thing is, shields were mostly negated by their hacking drone. It lasts long enough to completely drain your shields, and then the lasers fired right when they started recharging.
If your sole defenses were level 4 shields and 25% evasion then it's not at all surprising you lost.  Shield hacking is a pain, but you can generally jump away if that happens (assuming you didn't massively neglect your engines).

I lacked any other systems because the game fucked me over in regards to shops. Very few systems, shitty weapons...
charge laser MK II, flak MK II, heavy laser MK I and a dual laser.
You're seriously calling this a shitty weapon loadout?  Flak II is enough to take down shields on its own, then your lasers would be able to absolutely go to town on their systems, crippling them and dealing massive damage.

Those weapons are way better than what I normally beat the flagship with.  If you had non-awful evasion/could retreat after the shield hack you probably would have won.  So in other words the thing that fucked you over was the fact that you didn't upgrade your engines, it was nothing to do with the RNG (unless you were expecting to evade in spite of your tiny chance to do so).

For the boss, I find this is true for systems:
Cloaking: Near-vital due to the drones and the laser bursts
Hacking: Useful, but not vital
Boarding: INCREDIBLY useful. Again, not vital, but it makes the fight a LOT easier.
Mind control: Pretty useless
Drone control: Can be useful, can be useless.
Backup battery: I almost never use it, so I find it near-useless.
Cloaking is pretty great but 45% evasion + 4 shields is usually sufficient, particularly with hacking to prevent their missiles from going off.  Mind control has some fair uses - you can reduce their evasion by hitting the pilot, you can abduct people from their ship in the first stage to kill them and negate their mind control in the last stage.  Drones are great providing you have a good drone (if you don't then why did you buy drone control?).  The backup battery is cheaper than the extra reactor power, I guess, so it can be an ok bonus.

The 2-3.
Well uh... I guess that's sortof true.  Although then again those three strategies are so general that they cover basically everything you can do in the game.

Yeah, I actually beat the first two stages and then everyone suffocated because they hit my oxygen again. Seriously, WTH?

And yeah, I did do the door opening with hull breaches. Though the second time I didn't KNOW I had breaches, in my defense.
You suffocated because you vented your own ship of oxygen, not because they hit your system.  You should know you have breaches due to the sound effect, but if you miss it then you should carefully watch your oxygen percentage after opening all your doors.  If it starts going down rapidly you have a hull breach and you should close them until you've identified it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »

I think I've identified your problem (well, other than not upgrading engines enough): you seem to think that a weapon has to be objectively good (or considering you apparently regard flak II as bad, objectively one of the best) to be usable.  It really doesn't.  As long as it fits into your loadout well and helps you kill enemy ships you can use it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: April 12, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »

EDIT: I think you missed the part where he shot out my engines and bridge. Hard to jump when you have no power.
My point is that with a few engine upgrades you wouldn't have been hit so badly, and also you would have been able to charge up to escape much more quickly, and also wouldn't have lost all engine function from a few hits.  So the lesson you should take from this is less "FTL hates me and is impossible" and more "I should have 45% evasion (that is, 5 engine levels) by the time I get to the flagship".

Leaf, I've used the flak as a great weapon. The flaw is its recharge time. If the weapons system gets shot out before you can do any substantial damage and you lack drones, all you can hope for is a lot of misses.
Or upgrade your engines so that misses happen more often.  In any case you had the full 8 levels of weapons, so they'd have to deal 5 damage to that one room before the flak was shut down (since it takes so long to fire and is capable of hitting for damage on its own you'd definitely want it in the first slot).  In any case 21 seconds isn't too bad for a volley that would leave the flagship completely crippled.

Stealth of course would have been an excellent thing to get, but part of the game is trying to get by with what you have.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: April 12, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »

So I have an anti-bio beam, breach bomb II, chain laser, chain laser. Very satisfied, it's been doing well, don't plan to change.

Then I get to a shop with not only a Flak I, but also a Burst Laser II. Thoughts?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: April 12, 2014, 03:40:05 pm »

So I have an anti-bio beam, breach bomb II, chain laser, chain laser. Very satisfied, it's been doing well, don't plan to change.

Then I get to a shop with not only a Flak I, but also a Burst Laser II. Thoughts?
If its not broke don't fix it.

Also, Engi A is awesome. Just won by asphyxiation :P
And I added a Pike beam, which cost me my drone, but hey, nice beam.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: April 12, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »

If you have the spare cash I would be tempted by the burst laser, a 7 round volley against a breach bombed ship would be great.  You should probably just build up your defenses though.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: April 12, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »

If you're running boarders, keep the current setup - precision shield destruction coupled with point crew damage is great, and you've got an absolutely AMAZING loadout for boarder-support. (Anti-bio-beam is my favorite boarder support weapon, breach bomb is amazing for knocking down and keeping down their shields so those laser go exactly where they need to go to disable enemy weapons)

If you're not running any boarders, the beam becomes a lot less useful, and I'd switch it out for the Burst MKII.

Flak 1 isn't nearly as good as people think it is - it has an elevated chance to miss, and with that loadout missing is the only thing you'd really have to worry about.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: April 12, 2014, 03:55:45 pm »

Bluh, having some frustrating mis-starts with the Cruiser C.  Partially due to inexperience with clone bays, which are getting targeted rather often when inconvenient, but also the zoltans... Just rage-quit because my shields were up, one walked through the shield room, and the shields went down right as the enemy laser hit.  I don't quite understand how that's even possible... I'm almost positive I didn't change the power distribution during his trip.

I think he started in the engine room adjacent to the shield room (going to the teleporter).  It moved the yellow bar from the engine room to the shield room (and a green bar from the shield room to the engine room).  Then when he left the shield room, the yellow bar was gone, and that green bar stayed in the engine room instead of swapping back.  It tried to be helpful but failed in this specific case.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »

Be very careful about moving zoltans through your shield and weapon rooms.  Make sure there's a free power open to fill the gap when they leave.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:19 pm »

I love that 2 zoltans in the shield room make you immune to Ion Weapons EVER taking down your shield. I always aim to pick up two if I can just for that reason.

Would anyone be interested in me Livestreaming some FTL?

Anyway, if you *are* interested... http://www.twitch.tv/glyphgryph
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:19:20 pm by GlyphGryph »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: April 12, 2014, 04:26:03 pm »

So I restarted with Engi A and this run is just...wow. I'm just getting bombarded with awesome.

Spoiler: SO MUCH AWESOMENESS (click to show/hide)

Note that I'm only in the third sector....

OH MY GOD.

Spoiler: AND NOW THIS HAPPENED (click to show/hide)

...If I get the Lanius ship on whats basically my second run I think I win.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:39:08 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: April 12, 2014, 04:46:13 pm »

I thought the Lanius cruiser was unlocked by getting some number of other ships?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: April 12, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Okay, Stream back up should be functioning properly now (I hope).

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »

I thought the Lanius cruiser was unlocked by getting some number of other ships?
Yeah I didn't get it. :(

You're probably right.

Indeed, I do this.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: April 12, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »

There is some quest for the lanius ship I *think*. In the abandoned sector you can meet a trading crew with a translator, who offer you a copy of their translater for sale. I've never been able to afford it when I found it, but running a Lanius ship refers to treaties and such. I think you're supposed to buy the translator and then do something, but I started with lanius A unlocked since I already had everything unlocked when I started playing AE.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 243