Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373006 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2820 on: April 12, 2014, 07:44:42 am »

My only wins so far have been with the Torus A (Two Ion IIs, Burst Laser 2, 2-3 Defense Drone 1s, Stealth and four shields I think, there was more stuff but it was ages ago and I'm only totally sure about the weapons), Fed Cruiser A (Fully upgraded beam, moar def drones, shields and I managed to get the engi healy bots from an event), and with my first run with the new stuff, the Fed Cruiser B, which I cannot remember what I used at all, even though it was within the last week. I know some flak was involved somewhere.

Ions and Defense Drone I packs have become almost standard for my runs. Any advice for playing with the Zoltan A ship? I can consistently get to da boss, but it continually pushes my shit in.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:59 am »

What is your problem once you reach the boss?  Too little offensive power?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: April 12, 2014, 08:20:15 am »

It's different every time, since I keep trying different stuff. I haven't been lucky enough to be able to get my hands on multiple Ion weapons (except my last run, but I was forced to neglect some defensive capabilities, and ran into like two shops that would have been better off selling me socks leaving me with little in the way of augmentations as well), but other than that I've been able to attempt a wide variety of methods. I don't want to attribute all my losing to bad luck since I can usually see where I screwed up, but things have just not been falling into place for me.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: April 12, 2014, 11:53:17 am »

I hate boarders with every inch of my soul. SO MANY GOOD SHIPS, LOST BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET A MANTIS ON MY CREW.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: April 12, 2014, 11:54:38 am »

Vent everything, duh.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:29 pm »

I hate boarders with every inch of my soul. SO MANY GOOD SHIPS, LOST BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET A MANTIS ON MY CREW.

Honestly I have never ever lost to boarders, they tend to only be a mild threat at best.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: April 12, 2014, 12:07:43 pm »

They're often annoying, but proper application of upgraded doors and venting the ship means that I've killed 8 Mantis strong boarding parties with only Engi. You'll learn to deal with them eventually. After the carcasses of failed ships reach the roof.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: April 12, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »

They're often annoying, but proper application of upgraded doors and venting the ship means that I've killed 8 Mantis strong boarding parties with only Engi. You'll learn to deal with them eventually. After the carcasses of failed ships reach the roof.

You don't even need to do that.

You just need to travel to and from the med bay.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: April 12, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »

You don't even need to do that.

You just need to travel to and from the med bay.

That's a good idea too.
Spooky Signature

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2829 on: April 12, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »

The only time I can remember losing a ship to boarders was with the Engi Cruiser B, got hit by a random event super early on and they first teleported into the drone bay, then hit the oxygen, then hit my medbay where my pilot was at.

I didn't even wait to see what would happen, it was pretty hopeless, lol.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: April 12, 2014, 12:17:15 pm »

The only time I can remember losing a ship to boarders was with the Engi Cruiser B, got hit by a random event super early on and they first teleported into the drone bay, then hit the oxygen, then hit my medbay where my pilot was at.

I didn't even wait to see what would happen, it was pretty hopeless, lol.

Ok to admit, it was the Engi B which is about the worst ship in the game.

I find it a bit funny that the Engi B can't even stop boarders very well... its only job.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: April 12, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »

Funny, I just won with the Engi B. To be fair I had several losses that seemed to doom my ship regardless of what I did. Then I start up the next game and the thrid jump in I get the "Engi surrender to you." I said thanks for the loot!

It was a per-ignighter.

A few systems later I find the backup flagship under construction. I win.

Burst laser 3.

In the end I went up against the real flagship I had 1 burst laser 3 and 2 burst laser 2s. It was easy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: April 12, 2014, 01:01:03 pm »

Dual lasers? but they suck!

Ok not serious but their description makes them seem a lot worse then they actually are.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: April 12, 2014, 01:28:27 pm »

It's also faster.  It's the most efficient weapon in the game other than maybe Advanced Flak.
The thing about this game is that bad luck doesn't make the game hard, it makes it impossible.

If you keep encountering enemies with missiles, and no shops sell any decent weapons, you ARE fucked.
Can you please just stop misinforming other players?  There are loads of ways to deal with missiles.  Defense drones, hacking, cloaking, bombs, missiles and getting good enough crew that you can suck up the system damage are all viable ways to survive missiles.

Or if you really can't get any of those you can just choose a ship that starts with one of those options.
The flagship hit EVERY system, never hitting an empty room, hacked my shields, then demolished my engines, bridge, weapons and shields in about 5 seconds of each other. The number of breaches and fires being started was stupid. At the end, about half my rooms were on fire or breached.
What were your defenses like?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: April 12, 2014, 01:34:32 pm »

Just beat the game with Zoltan B on Normal. I had the starting Pike Beam and 3 Ion Blasts. I lacked Cloaking, but had a Defense Drone and Mind Control. I just shredded the boss's shields with my Ion and then got to work with Pike Beam. I had max engines and shields, which is the only reason the lack of Cloaking didn't kill me. First Advanced Edition win so far.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 243