Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373033 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2805 on: April 12, 2014, 12:05:44 am »

I got myself into quite the situation...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It went like this. I fought next to a star, which started things on fire. I sent my repair drones out but then the drone bay burned. Fire was everywhere so I opened all the doors... then the door control burned.

So yeah. Not sure if it is even possible to fix it. I don't think the medic bay heals faster than lack of oxygen kills. I am close to a store and I do still have guns. Maybe I'll upgrade the medbay and hope for the best...

Update: I jumped to the store which had a rock crew man for hire, for 1 scrap less than I had. I sent both to the door control and got it fixed but my engi died. I wonder how I can do with a brand new crew member.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:08:20 am by Fikes »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:27 am »

... your o2 looks perfectly fine there, what exactly is the problem? Even if you didn't, you've got enough scrap to upgrade your medbay and slowly work your way towards success.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: April 12, 2014, 12:11:19 am »

Hmm... The game isn't updating to the advanced edition on steam. I even tried reinstalling it. Am I missing anything?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: April 12, 2014, 12:12:41 am »

... your o2 looks perfectly fine there, what exactly is the problem? Even if you didn't, you've got enough scrap to upgrade your medbay and slowly work your way towards success.

The only place with o2 is the bridge, that means I can't repair anything without suffocating.

Hmm... The game isn't updating to the advanced edition on steam. I even tried reinstalling it. Am I missing anything?

Are you missing the button in the hanger that says "enable advanced content"?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: April 12, 2014, 12:14:39 am »

The only place with o2 is the bridge, that means I can't repair anything without suffocating.

Oooooh, you're doors are down. This is why you never vent the med room needlessly!

But yeah, level up your medbay and you should be ok. I think it heals faster than o2 causes damage. Let me double-check...

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: April 12, 2014, 12:16:07 am »

Are you missing the button in the hanger that says "enable advanced content"?

Ah, found it. Thanks.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: April 12, 2014, 12:19:55 am »

But yeah, level up your medbay and you should be ok. I think it heals faster than o2 causes damage. Let me double-check...

Confirmed. Level up your medbay, and you should be good-to-go.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: April 12, 2014, 01:04:50 am »

The problem would have been getting from the vented medbay to the drone bay, getting 1 bar repaired in a single go (if you leave the room mid-repair the repairs get reset), then making it back to the med bay before you died. If there was a shop nearby, the better strat might have been to sell off one of the repair drones to free up doors, upgrading med bay, and trying to fix door control to get everything breathable, then fixing the drone bay with no pressure (*rimshot*). You could possibly also have un-equipped one of the drones to remove it from the ship and gotten to the door control that way.

For that matter, you could have started the repairs with the rockman and brought the wounded engi in about halfway to help finish the job with less risk (presuming the un-equip repair bots to get them off the ship still works, I haven't used them in a while).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 12, 2014, 01:09:40 am »

He's got an engi and the door room was only 2 doors down. There shouldn't have been any problem getting it repaired so long as he could heal.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: April 12, 2014, 01:26:50 am »

I think I've just had the single most unlucky FTL game of my entire life.  It was Slug C on hard.  I sold everything on my ship (which isn't saying much, Slug C's useful assets are systems not equpiment) for a Flak 2 in sector 2.  What happens after that, do you think?

Everything hit my weapons bay.  Every.  Single.  Thing.  Not literally of course, but I think more than half the missiles fired at me past that point hit the weapons bay, it was truly ridiculous.  It got to the point where I could call it, not because I actually had any predictive powers but because my ship was fucking cursed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: April 12, 2014, 01:37:58 am »

Dunno...

I avoid rock space now because they are overpowered in this version. had one with two flaks and two missiles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 12, 2014, 02:39:46 am »

I got this game for free as a gift, and I still have yet to enjoy it whatsoever. It is incredibly infuriating, and... well, even on easy I can make no progress whatsoever. Am I just doing something wrong here?

Try pausing

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 12, 2014, 03:42:06 am »

What's the furthest sector you've gotten to, and why did you die?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 12, 2014, 07:26:41 am »

I got this game for free as a gift, and I still have yet to enjoy it whatsoever. It is incredibly infuriating, and... well, even on easy I can make no progress whatsoever. Am I just doing something wrong here?

Try pausing

Believe it or not, pausing is not the issue here (I don't jump without pausing before the dialogue script closes, one way or another).
Grats for the gift ^ ^
It is enjoyable. :P Perhaps its your approach?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 12, 2014, 07:33:51 am »

Vulkan didn't really impress me all that much, and it nearly lost me the game. I found it in the seventh secetor, and by then I had two Flak guns, the halberd beam, and a heavy laser that I could operate all at once.   I would just hit the cockpit with the hacking module, turn it on, and their shields disappeared, with a minimum extra 2 damage to one of their systems.  I could then hit either the  cockpit or weapons with a combined heavy laser and halberd beam, and the enemy ship was instantly disabled.  And since I had a weapon pre-igniter, there wasn't much they could do to stop it.  With the vulcan however I was unable to use this tactic.   I dread to think how terrible it would be without the pre-igniter.
The pre-igniter does make the vulcan significantly worse relative to other weapons, but the major appeal is that if you can stall your opponent for 30 seconds you can crush literally any enemy.  That's great for a defensive ship who's struggling to keep their offence up to standard, less great for a ship that already has a loadout which can murder anything in 3 seconds flat.

As it was the rebel flagship was close.  Just two damage to my weapons systems and I would have almost no damage output.
They would have to deal 5 damage to disable your vulcan cannon, which as I said before is more than capable of taking down all the shields and killing the ship on its own once it's at +5.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 243