Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373053 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2775 on: April 11, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »

Both Kestrels are really strong, you just got screwed by the RNG for shop stocks this run. Don't give up, there's always the next game if things go south badly.

This doesn't seem like a shop problem, it seems like a routing problem. Last time I did an easy run with a scrap augment, I had maxed out reactors, everything powered, AND 800 extra scrap at that point.

So yeah, BFEL, for your next game, remember: You want to his as many sectors as humanly possible before advancing. Prioritize distress beacons. Avoid shops unless you have the scrap to buy something. Hit nebula zones, the fleet delay is worth it even if the encounter chance is lower. Maximize scrap output before the exit beacon - if I can get an extra sector and am confident in my ability to avoid damage, I will usually weather a fleet fight to grab it - if I can grab two sectors, it's not even a question. Buy a second shield level asap, it's cheap and will definitely pay itself off in damage avoided within the first two sectors alone.

Explore as much as possible, there's no reason you should be so incredibly short on scrap that late in the game... honestly, I can't even believe you *survived* that far into the game considering.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »

To unlock a ship, you need to do a quest for it, and most of these quests are in their ships' race's homeworlds sector.

For the Zoltan ship, you'll ...
Spoiler: Actual Spoiler? (click to show/hide)

I was in the Zoltan Homeworlds and looked all over. Never came up. RNG fucked me.

Both Kestrels are really strong, you just got screwed by the RNG for shop stocks this run. Don't give up, there's always the next game if things go south badly.

This doesn't seem like a shop problem, it seems like a routing problem. Last time I did an easy run with a scrap augment, I had maxed out reactors, everything powered, AND 800 extra scrap at that point.

So yeah, BFEL, for your next game, remember: You want to his as many sectors as humanly possible before advancing. Prioritize distress beacons. Avoid shops unless you have the scrap to buy something. Hit nebula zones, the fleet delay is worth it even if the encounter chance is lower. Maximize scrap output before the exit beacon - if I can get an extra sector and am confident in my ability to avoid damage, I will usually weather a fleet fight to grab it - if I can grab two sectors, it's not even a question. Buy a second shield level asap, it's cheap and will definitely pay itself off in damage avoided within the first two sectors alone.

Explore as much as possible, there's no reason you should be so incredibly short on scrap that late in the game... honestly, I can't even believe you *survived* that far into the game considering.

I WAS DOING ALL THOSE THINGS. The reason I'm short on scrap is the slug nebula I passed through right before this sector really messed my ship up, so I lost a bunch to repairs and the rest went to buying fuel (I was short on that too)

Hell, I even made sure to never accept a surrender, because of extra scrap.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: April 11, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »

Actually, accepting surrender is often far more cost efficient, at least in the first several sectors and sometimes even later on. It's important to judge each offer individually. Are they going to give you 4 fuel and 12 scrap, but you think you'll get around 20 if you beat them? Accept that goddamn offer, especially if there's any chance of you taking damage! It's a 4 scrap bonus at the going rate for fuel, PLUS you don't risk taking any damage!

You should totally do a livestream tonight or something, I can offer SUPER GOOD ADVICE. :D It will be fun! We all can! We can all be like "Noooooo, STAHP THAT".

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »

What Glyph Gryph has been saying.

Also, nebula and distress beacons become less ideal when you're low on fuel.  Distress beacons have a common event you get nothing out of if you don't give fuel, and also have a somewhat lower chance to fight and thus get fuel.  Nebula have a high chance of empty beacons, which are terrible if you're low on fuel.

Shops on the other hand are great if you're low on fuel, so if you're running out you should gather some scrap, and rush forward, prioritizing distance from the fleet and "seeing" (being able to jump to) as many beacons as possible so that you can spot the shop.  Note that some sectors spawn 2-3 shops, while some only spawn 1.  You can usually guess which by the description and common sense.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:38 pm »

Also if the amount of hull damage you're going to take from a fight is obviously going to exceed the rewards you should run.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: April 11, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »

You should totally do a livestream tonight or something, I can offer SUPER GOOD ADVICE. :D It will be fun! We all can! We can all be like "Noooooo, STAHP THAT".

That would be nice, but I have no idea how to do that, and also I'm probably not tackling this tonight. I need sleep. Stupid morning job.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: April 11, 2014, 06:05:39 pm »

Let me tell you the joys of finding a flak 2 on the Steath B, alongside a chance max weaponsman.

Shit just disintegrates, I tells ya.

Edit:Scratch that, Vulcan!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:12:43 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: April 11, 2014, 06:32:23 pm »

The vulcan kinda ruins cloaking though, right?  Flak and charge weapons sound like the best match for Stealth...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: April 11, 2014, 06:36:22 pm »

The Stealth Weapons can get around that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:01 pm »

CLoaks are an excellent match for the vulcan, because the stealth will help keep you alive while the vulcan charges.  Once the vulcan is at full power you are going to obliterate them anyway.

Although it would be good to get some shields too

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: April 11, 2014, 06:56:58 pm »

I just won my first Stealth B game by switching to a Vulcan early on. It's a pain to deal with high evade ships, but it always wins in the end so long as you max out defenses (and with a Stealth ship, it's practically designed to build as many engines and shields as needed to defend). The only issue was the charge running out when the system gets hit with a missile, and even that wasn't too bad.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:22 pm »

I need to try and get twin vulcans.

They'd pound ANYTHING to dust.
The thing is one vulcan already pounds anything to dust, including the flagship.  So you may as well spend your remaining power on bombs and stuff to try and delay your enemy while it charges.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:30 pm »

AHH WHAT THE FUCK

This game is suddenly taking half an hour to load and maxing out my CPU at about half a frame per second.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: April 11, 2014, 07:33:04 pm »

So whoever said Slug B was worse than Engi B... I'm starting to come over to your view.

Slug B as a starting package is better than Engi B.  More crew, almost as much saleable stuff, a high value system (boarding) which it can sort of take advantage of.  The ability to kill 2 shield layer ships EVER.  And on paper its gimmick is better than Engi B's almost valueless gimmick.

But in practice it just never works.  And I think the reason is that there is no part of Slug B's loadout that you actually want to take to the end.  Both its weapons need to be replaced, which means buying a medbay or clone bay.  That in turn nerfs its boarders who are now ordinary humans.  Then you still need the basic stuff other ships need, like missile defense and a way to take down high level shields.  Its just too much work to convert it into something usable.  Whereas Engi B is one weapon drop away from being mediocre.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: April 11, 2014, 07:37:56 pm »

Why do you need to replace the healing bomb?  It's pretty great for boarding.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 243