Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373063 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2745 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:29 pm »

Never kill your borders.
But it starts out with a level 2 clone bay, what else am I gonna use it for?
Then it's not a suicide mission anymore.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: April 10, 2014, 12:58:37 pm »

Anyone got any tips for using the Federation Cruiser C? I mostly just send my mantis in suicide missions to destroy some of their systems and kill their crew while the flak artillery charges. Am I using it right?

Get Mind Control and upgrade teleporter so you can send EVERYONE over to the enemies weapon room asap and have an additional dude on your side maximizing damage output.

Get a a few more pips of shield and a cloak so you have enough defenses to survive long enough to destroy their weapons and conceivably crew. Get DNA Backup to eliminate risk of lucky hits killing your boarders.

Finally, get a Ion Blaster MKII to take down their shield and let the scraptillery do it's work. Alternately, get a full set of flak guns or even just basic long-charge blasters to use as a follow-up to the cannon going off.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2747 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

So just got this yesterday.

And I have learned an important lesson today: If there is a fire in your oxygen room, send crew. Never vent oxygen from your oxygen room.

There's actually a cool trick you can do! Turns out that oxygen equalises between rooms if doors are open, so if you have enough oxygen leftover in the rest of the ship, just open all internal doors (there's a button on the bottom right for this, if I recall correctly).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:36:03 pm by Anvilfolk »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »

And I have learned an important lesson today: If there is a fire in your oxygen room, send crew. Never vent oxygen from your oxygen room.

Actually, there's actually a cool trick you can do! Turns out that oxygen equalises between rooms if doors are open, so if you have enough leftover oxygen remaining in the rest of the ship, just open all internal doors (there's a button on the bottom right for this, if I recall correctly).

I was just about to say that.

Been having a great time on an Easy Unlock run with my Torus. Got the Stealth Cruiser and will hopefully get the Federation Cruiser as well. Should have gotten the Slug ship, but I screwed up the event :(

Still, much faster unlocking stuff the second time around now that I know the game so well, even with all the new stuff added in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »

There's actually a cool trick you can do! Turns out that oxygen equalises between rooms if doors are open, so if you have enough oxygen leftover in the rest of the ship, just open all internal doors (there's a button on the bottom right for this, if I recall correctly).

I...probably didn't have enough oxygen :P
I had to airlock from the medbay up to the cockpit to put out a few fires up that way beforehand, so that might not have worked. Or it might have, either way, good to know!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »

I don't know is killing skill THAT important for boarders?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: April 10, 2014, 02:48:06 pm »

I don't know is killing skill THAT important for boarders?

It makes a big difference in how fast they can kill off the enemy and how much damage they can do. So it's a bit situational on whether or not the cost of losing skill to throw clones at them matters or not. If you're relying on your boarders to do damage before your enemy can do too much damage to you...then, yeah, it can matter a lot. If you're pretty much safe and just want to capture the ship for extra scrap, not so much.

Ninja: That too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: April 10, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »

So the game just threw a pirate at me whose pathetic setup cant even get all the way through my shields.

Is it "cheating" to exploit this for shield/eng/pilot crew levels? :P

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: April 10, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »

No, but it is boring and the benefit is pretty marginal.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: April 10, 2014, 04:07:05 pm »

So the game just threw a pirate at me whose pathetic setup cant even get all the way through my shields.

Is it "cheating" to exploit this for shield/eng/pilot crew levels? :P

I do that every game. Before the AE, I would level shield crew to max in an asteroid field every game. It's not a big deal if you disable "pause while minimized" and read a website or something while the game runs in the background.

Unrelated: Steam is updating the game for me right now, and the site's forums are down. Anyone happen to get a look at the patch notes before their forums died?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: April 10, 2014, 04:22:19 pm »

Copied from the steam forums:
This is the first patch for FTL: Advanced Edition. Its focus has been on critical issues,
and on some small mistakes that were easily remedied. It is currently live on Steam, and
will make it to other venders within a few days.

We're still working on some critical iPad issues before submitting these fixes to Apple,
so there will be a delay for getting it on iPads.

v. 1.5.10 -- Steam Release

Critical Fixes:
-Mac OS X version 10.5.8 is supported once again
-Fixed crash when purchasing Clonebay when player had a Zoltan in their Medbay
-Fixed possible crash and slowdowns when the Backup Battery took damage
-Fixed crash when loading a save from after the Flagship Construction battle
-Fixed possible crash and slowdowns when the Backup Battery took damage
-Added crash protection for mind controlling in Flagship artillery rooms that are full

General Fixes
-Zoltan Cruiser unlock quest fixed
-Fixed one cause of incorrectly saving an event, resulting in loading a different result
-Fixed: Couldn't counter mind control on your crew if enemy ship had an Energy Shield
-Fixed: Enemy crew in isolated rooms (Flagship Artillery) could not damage player crew
-Fixed: Advance Edition Stores never stocked a Clonebay if player was capped on systems
-Fixed: Non-AE FTL Stores would have excess, empty system spaces & warn of the sys. cap
-Fixed: Quitting mid-jump would create an unreliable save file
-Fixed: Hard Mode would generate unbeatable Final Stand sectors
-Possible Fix: Infinite Mind Control should no longer happen
-Possible Fix: Hacking not draining shields should no longer happen
-Kestrel's Full Arsenal Achievement fixed
-Mind controlled enemies count as intruders for computing if a beacon is 'safe'
-Minor positioning of clonebay/medbay art and blocked spaces fixed
-Fixed Defense Drone II not shooting at asteroids
-Fixed Rock Achievement #2 -- Allows Swarm Missiles now
-Fixed art for the Vulcan Chain Laser and Kestrel C's Medbay
-Fixed: Closing menus won't also interact with your drones / weapons
-Fixed pulsar background when dynamic backgrounds is disabled
-Minor event/text fixes
-Excess logging removed

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: April 10, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »

I cannot imagine unbeatable AI ships...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »

The effect is actually pretty significant. 10% dodge is huge, and worth +100 scrap (which on normal/hard is quite a lot).

It is a pain in the butt to wait it out though if you have the autopause on (as well as being kind of cheap), so I don't usually bother with it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:08 pm »

Unbeatable likely means the player cannot reach the base in time to stop the flagship.

The effect is actually pretty significant. 10% dodge is huge, and worth +100 scrap (which on normal/hard is quite a lot).

It is a pain in the butt to wait it out though if you have the autopause on (as well as being kind of cheap), so I don't usually bother with it.

I for one don't do it because I think its an exploit.  My idea of exploit is pretty liberal though.  (or would that be conservative... whatever)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: April 10, 2014, 05:57:22 pm »

Unbeatable likely means the player cannot reach the base in time to stop the flagship.

I for one don't do it because I think its an exploit.  My idea of exploit is pretty liberal though.  (or would that be conservative... whatever)

Eh, this is basically a roguelike, so I think taking every advantage I can get is 100% ok. Especially since I'm still learning the game.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 243