Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373098 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2670 on: April 08, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »

Speaking of flak, I'm having trouble deciding whether to go with triple flak + breach bomb or quad flak. I've got three automated re-loaders, three flak Is and a breach bomb, and I just found another flak in a store. This run is the dumbest thing. The only thing that would make it better is if I was using the Fed Cruiser C.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 08, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »

I had a rather good run with the Stealth Cruiser A. Got all the way to Phase 3 of the boss (on easy, without AE on :v). Then I somehow got completely murdered. One missile barrage too many, I guess. I had the starting dual lasers, an ion blast 2 and a motherfucking glaive beam which is just ridiculously powerful, especially since I found a pre-igniter. Just fire the ion, then the dual lasers and then the glaive beam at the shield & surrounding systems for maximum shrekking. Bought a shield system rather quickly, naturally.

Lucked out on a few events that led to me getting to sector 5 without repairs at a shop, earning that one achievement. (I got repaired by some events). Also got the Engi Virus event, which is great, basically. Free max-level everything crewmember? Heck yes. The Engi ship couldn't hurt me and I couldn't hurt them because TOP LEL DEFENSE DRONE MK2 SHOOTS DOWN LASERS (how does that even work). Eventually I managed to punch through anyway, but it took a long time. (great for training up the crew, I guess)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 08, 2014, 01:55:51 pm »

TOP LEL DEFENSE DRONE MK2 SHOOTS DOWN LASERS (how does that even work).
Destructive interference?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 08, 2014, 02:02:59 pm »

I cannot *believe* I just won the match I won. I had a burst laser 2, breech missiles, and a halbard beam as my sole offensive bits of power, and the defense drones in the second phase of the flagship meant it was just the laser and the beam. I could only do damage if ALL THREE laser bursts hit, and I couldn't do much at a time, definitely not enough to actually disable any of their systems.

I was down to 4 hull by the team I beat the second stage, despite having incredibly defenses, and having fled halfway with every single one of my systems disabled but the pilots seat and a point in the engines (which I repaired enough specifically to jump away) and everything on fire.

It took three tries - for survival purposes, I had to jump as soon as they worked through my defenses since I couldn't afford to take more damage - but goddamn it, I DID IT.

The third phase was a cakewalk since my Breach Missiles were suddenly useful again, and Zoltan Shield + Cloak kept me safe long enough to disable their missiles.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »

Then I tried several runs with the Engi B and had no luck.  I even named the Engi Urist...

Engi B is, no contest, the worst ship in the game.  Its gimmick simply makes up for not having crew, it doesn't actually help, and it's worse than the other ships in terms of ship functionality.  But the real reason?  It's starting weapon loadout can't pierce two shields.  The AE content makes it better because its more likely you'll be able to buy a weapon early (which is near mandatory for winning), however it also nerfs it because the door system is so badly placed that you can't effectively vent the right side of the ship if you're manning the doors, making fending off boarders a pain.

I played the Engi B to get Engi C yesterday and I won, and do you want to know how?  I found a chain ion gun floating in space in the exit to the first sector.  So I turned into Engi A that has a heavy laser instead of a combat drone, and was behind on scrap health and crew.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »

It's official: quad flak + engine hacking >> rebel flagship. The first volley took out its shields (both barrier and system), and the next left it at 2 health. It cloaked for the third volley but two still hit. Second phase, shields down again, then drone bay annihilated, then just hit whatever to end it. I didn't even see the droneswarm. The third phase caused me some trouble because of the Zoltan shield and its anti-hacking properties, as well as the boarders harassing my crew, but nobody died and the flagship only got off one surge.

This was the fastest I have ever defeated the flagship.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

Then I tried several runs with the Engi B and had no luck.  I even named the Engi Urist...

Engi B is, no contest, the worst ship in the game.  Its gimmick simply makes up for not having crew, it doesn't actually help, and it's worse than the other ships in terms of ship functionality.  But the real reason?  It's starting weapon loadout can't pierce two shields.  The AE content makes it better because its more likely you'll be able to buy a weapon early (which is near mandatory for winning), however it also nerfs it because the door system is so badly placed that you can't effectively vent the right side of the ship if you're manning the doors, making fending off boarders a pain.

I played the Engi B to get Engi C yesterday and I won, and do you want to know how?  I found a chain ion gun floating in space in the exit to the first sector.  So I turned into Engi A that has a heavy laser instead of a combat drone, and was behind on scrap health and crew.

That's pretty much what I did, I lucked out and found a chain laser.  First time with a chain weapon, pretty satisfied.  Relied on shields and a defense drone to survive until it could kill whatever.  Even spun up, it's hardly an instant kill on 4-shield enemies though, particularly if they have any engines at all.  I was always behind on scrap and had to waste a lot on repairing, but eventually I got to the boss:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TOP LEL DEFENSE DRONE MK2 SHOOTS DOWN LASERS (how does that even work).
Destructive interference?

As if the lasers are actually lasers... I wish they were called blasters or plasma bolts or something.  Shouldn't bother me but it does, particularly when there are actual beam weapons in the same game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 08, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »

The game has no fucking plans to let me reach sector 8 with the mantis B

What difficulty are you playing on? You could always play easy if you want the unlocks.

with Mantis B I just get a cloning bay as soon as possible and hire as many mantis as possible for boarding enemy ships.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 08, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »

I WAS on easy. I managed to get to sector 8, but the game kept throwing enemies at me that were able to pretty much negate either my offence or defence.

Your offense with Mantis B is boarders. Who in Sector 8 has the ability to negate that except the final boss?

I mean, you can't finish drones with it, admittedly, unless you're willing to sacrifice a dude, but you can still take out their weapons pretty easily and after that it's just a matter of time.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »

I WAS on easy. I managed to get to sector 8, but the game kept throwing enemies at me that were able to pretty much negate either my offence or defence.

Your offense with Mantis B is boarders. Who in Sector 8 has the ability to negate that except the final boss?

I mean, you can't finish drones with it, admittedly, unless you're willing to sacrifice a dude, but you can still take out their weapons pretty easily and after that it's just a matter of time.

Zoltan shields, Zoltan, Mantis, Lanius or Rockmen crew are really hard to beat with boarding and medbays or cloning bays are pretty nasty too. Higher level doors are also not fun. And I find that when the enemy boards YOU, you need your boarding Mantis's on your ship killing them instead of ripping through their crew while your own ship burns.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 08, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

I think slug b is worse. At least engie b comes with halfway decent weapons, a drone control and all key systems except sensors.

Slug b is a boarding ship without a medbay or good boarding crew who's only weapon eats the missiles you need to be successful at boarding.

The only good part about it is that it unlocks slug c which is decent.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:19 pm »

I mean, you can't finish drones with it, admittedly, unless you're willing to sacrifice a dude
Clone bays. 8)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 08, 2014, 06:22:06 pm »

I found something new and exciting!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 08, 2014, 06:34:10 pm »

I love that event.

What I love even more is that if the ASB misses, a big pixelated "miss" will cartoonishly follow the bolt in the background.  Its seriously like one of Criken's youtube videos.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 08, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »

Is there any charge weapon that isn't garbage?
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 243