Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373118 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2655 on: April 07, 2014, 08:13:10 pm »

Oh? I guess I rescind my complaint, then. :P Though, it would be nice if the AI occasionally tried to preserve its supplies like we must do. They may have about as many missiles as the average player is carrying, but they're still free to fire all of them in a single battle because they have no other existence in the game.

Depends. If they are rebels, they don't have to worry, cause if they win, or you let them go, they have a whole fucking massive fleet to back them up, presumably with shit tons of missiles. They don't need to to worry about supplies. Same for government troops, the border guards and such. Otherwise, meh.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: April 07, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »

I posted how frustrated I was at losing several times in a row to a feature of the game and people started posting advice on how to prevent it from happening in future, how awful
It's not unlimited. I actually ran one out today while working to get the "Tough Little Ship" achievement. I didn't keep track of how many he had fired, but I'd guess 12-15.
They don't have an unlimited supply of drones either, I saw one run out after it sent like 10 hacking drones to their deaths.

Depends. If they are rebels, they don't have to worry, cause if they win, or you let them go, they have a whole fucking massive fleet to back them up, presumably with shit tons of missiles. They don't need to to worry about supplies. Same for government troops, the border guards and such. Otherwise, meh.
Also the entire rebel fleet is chasing you.  And I think I wouldn't bother with missile/drone conservation if I were fighting something as dangerous as a player controlled ship anyway!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty much my gripe with NPC ships. Unlimited supply of missiles/drones. Imagine if we could leave our launchers on auto-fire with impunity like they do.

They carry about 6-10 of each.

Edit: Fuck my life.  Had an absolutely amazing run of the torus on hard, and then lost because the flagship got 2 actually good hacks for once, and the last one was oxygen, and I still would have survived except a lucky hit disabled my ion bomb launcher right before I could disable their hack.

I mean its still my fault for setting the ion bomb launcher as the last in the weapon order but still.  FML.  If I had known that was a thing I would have upgraded my oxygen or medbay, I had the scrap :/  The absolutely teeth gnashing thing is that I had a hull repair drone and 25 drone parts, so I was effectively invincible to conventional attacks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:53:45 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 08, 2014, 01:53:03 am »

The Chain Vulcan is ridiculous, especially if you get a preigniter to save you the initial 11 second charge.

After a few shots, the thing fires a laser bolt every 1.1 seconds; it takes down any and all shields, then hits the hull with every other shot on top!

Granted, it takes four power, but the fact that just pointing it at the bad guys guarantees their death some time in the future is amazing.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:53 am »

Well, I finally got to the boss on hard difficulty. Didn't beat it, of course. I can't tell if I'm making progress or I just got lucky.

I managed to make it to sector 8 with all of one HP left. I'm thinking lucky.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 08, 2014, 06:24:20 am »

The Chain Vulcan is ridiculous, especially if you get a preigniter to save you the initial 11 second charge.

After a few shots, the thing fires a laser bolt every 1.1 seconds; it takes down any and all shields, then hits the hull with every other shot on top!

Granted, it takes four power, but the fact that just pointing it at the bad guys guarantees their death some time in the future is amazing.

To balance that out though, I've only seen the thing at most, twice in 15 runs(not attached to an enemy ship. at least!), and out of those two times I only managed to buy it once. My dream setup, though, would be twin chain vulcans and a weapon pre-igniter. Who need things like strategy when you got more Dakka than the other guy?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 08, 2014, 08:51:40 am »

My last two runs were with the Zoltan B and Engi B. Both died against the flagship's third phase. I would have won with the Vortex if I had managed to find cloaking or hacking.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:27 am »

Meh, You don't really need either, just some way of ensuring the rockets are broken quickly(well, relatively quickly anyways). For instance, with my most recent win with the Lanius B, I simply used the teleporter to transfer my maxed lanius boarders to the rocket bay, and they took care of it in short order.(after that, it was simply mind controlling the helmsman so I could rocket the medbay with impunity, then transfer my boarders there and go to town on them). Though, I'll admit it helped to have a drone control and a defense drone 1 to intercept at least one missile to lessen the incoming pain.

One thing I've also found, is that if you have a mind control module and the enemy mind controls somebody on your ship, you can counter it by using your mind control on that guy and he'll stop breaking stuff and go back to work.  :D
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:53 am »

I just managed to beat the flagship for the first time ever, with 3 hull points left. Lanius B with multiple flaks kicks ass.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 08, 2014, 11:10:55 am »

I just got the Engi Virus event on the Stealth Cruiser.
Totally worth the boring stand-off against a ship that couldn't hurt me but that I needed a lot of luck for because FUCKING DEFENSE DRONE MARK 2 SHOOTING DOWN ALL MY LASERS.
Ehehehehehehe
EHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:40 am »

Well, I gave up worrying about trying to restore my unlocks and figured I'd just start over. Didn't have much time to play last night, but I did a full run with the Kestral on Normal. Almost beat the flagship, but I took too much damage during the first stage and didn't have any way to repair, so by the time I hit the third I simply didn't have enough HP left on the ship to outlast it. Shame, too, as I was beating the snot out of it at that point. Running out of Droid parts didn't help, though.

Still, liking a lot of the new stuff so far. Mind control was fun, and occasionally useful, but I think I'd have been better off going for Cloaking. Didn't know they were an either-or at the time, of course. Hacking was cool, but would have been more useful if I'd realized how it worked earlier. Still, definitely a fun module.

Didn't get any of the new weapons, which is sad, but I'm sure I'll get to play with those soon enough.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 08, 2014, 11:14:48 am »

Last night I had a very successful run with the Cruiser type B.  I guess I agree that the siege laser is unoptimal, but I find it really fun!  By the end I had level 4 shields, 6 engine blocks, 2 defense drones, and I picked up a teleporter 2 jumps before the last stand to take out the tri-missile launcher.  I don't know *how* I had enough scrap for all that without boarding.  I also lucked into 2 ion blast 2 and a halberd beam, so I really didn't need the shield-piercing siege laser at all.  Basically the RNG decided this run would be perfect.

Then I tried several runs with the Engi B and had no luck.  I even named the Engi Urist...

I was expecting a lot more from a drone dedicated to fighting off boarders, like being able to take on 2 humans and kill at least one.  And system repair drones are nicer than I expected, but still... I think I'm spoiled by the other gimmick ships, like the Mantis B, which have amazing advantages to counter their major weaknesses.  An ion blast 2 would have been appropriate.  Or any sort of attack drone, or at least more than 6-8 drone parts!  At least it's not the stealth ship...

Plus it would be nice for the pilot not to have to leave his station to heal, so of course they replaced the engi shipwide healing with a *speed boost for ship-bound drones*.   :'(

I tried to avoid buying crew just in the spirit of the run, but I think I'll give up on that.  Even an untrained crewmember in the weapon room gives +20% fire rate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: April 08, 2014, 11:33:14 am »

Meh, You don't really need either, just some way of ensuring the rockets are broken quickly(well, relatively quickly anyways). For instance, with my most recent win with the Lanius B, I simply used the teleporter to transfer my maxed lanius boarders to the rocket bay, and they took care of it in short order.(after that, it was simply mind controlling the helmsman so I could rocket the medbay with impunity, then transfer my boarders there and go to town on them). Though, I'll admit it helped to have a drone control and a defense drone 1 to intercept at least one missile to lessen the incoming pain.

One thing I've also found, is that if you have a mind control module and the enemy mind controls somebody on your ship, you can counter it by using your mind control on that guy and he'll stop breaking stuff and go back to work.  :D

I had a breach bomb on the Vortex, and two defense drones on both, but it was laser spam and power surges that killed me.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:38 am »

heh, I know, I had to damage race the flagship on the third stage to pull off the win(easily done with twin flak and nobody manning the helm :P )

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2669 on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

So I'm under a really tough deadline right now, and my office mate is currently playing FTL at work.

This sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 243