Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373119 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2625 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:53 am »

One issue is that you can only do it one at a time, and upgrading the teleporter isn't really going to help. But yes, abduct and murder is the rule, and yeah, having no oxygen makes it much more effective.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:48 am »

After 3 or 4 games immediately ended by chains of enemies with missile launchers, I'm started to get really, really pissed that a constant pass/fail condition is "is there a shop that sells a drone bay and a defense drone before Sector 3 and can you afford to buy it instead of repair back to yellow? If any of those are no, die."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: April 07, 2014, 12:13:16 am »

...I should've got this on Steam or any place where it can update. :x

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:35 am »

A cloak or a hacker also deal with enemy missiles pretty well.  Heck my last win didn't even have drones.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: April 07, 2014, 12:15:37 am »

...I should've got this on Steam or any place where it can update. :x
You could try looking up their website, they might have a link for it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: April 07, 2014, 12:18:11 am »

After 3 or 4 games immediately ended by chains of enemies with missile launchers, I'm started to get really, really pissed that a constant pass/fail condition is "is there a shop that sells a drone bay and a defense drone before Sector 3 and can you afford to buy it instead of repair back to yellow? If any of those are no, die."

You could also upgrade your engines so you take less damage from missiles, and you can upgrade your offenses so you disable their missiles before they get a chance to fire. There are probably other solutions as well, some that even work well together in combination.

It's not a strict 'defense drone or bust' situation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: April 07, 2014, 12:22:13 am »

Been unlocking more Type-Cs, hoping to find a good ship to use for my Prison Ship.

It needs to be a teleport-capable ship built to *not* teleport but rather to destroy enemy ships, and I need to get Mind Control with it in Sector One.

I'm actually wondering if the Fed Cruiser C and it's Flak Artillery might work...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:57 am »

Wait wait wait flak artillery?  Goddamn I need this ship.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:27 am »

You could also upgrade your engines so you take less damage from missiles, and you can upgrade your offenses so you disable their missiles before they get a chance to fire. There are probably other solutions as well, some that even work well together in combination.

I understand the alternatives, but cloaking is more expensive than a drone bay (I think, haven't seen one yet) and the rest is just attrition. Drones are by far the most reliable and give you another slot for something else fun, so it's just my preference. Maybe I'm getting impatient with the new stuff.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: April 07, 2014, 01:25:38 am »

Did you know that if you mind control someone, you can teleport them back to your ship? If they have a teleporter they'll try to teleport them right back when it wears off, but otherwise abductions can be an effective way of getting rid of crew members when they have a medbay or some other circumstance that makes standard boarding difficult.

I just used it to cheese the final boss on the first phase and get rid of all but that one crew member (I didn't have to do this, I was definitely in a position to win without doing so).

I get really amused by the idea of them just suddenly stopping in the middle of trying to repair the engine and saying, "I must go now, my people need me." then teleporting off.
This also happens if they don't have a teleporter but they've hacked yours.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: April 07, 2014, 04:38:11 am »

I find that it generally works pretty well to just point an ion blaster at their weapon systems. You'll get hit by a missile occasionally, but not nearly as much.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:32 am »

Upgrading engines is doubly important because it also increases your escape speed.  So you can just run away from that one black swan ship.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:24 pm »

Wait wait wait flak artillery?  Goddamn I need this ship.

It's equivalent to a Flak Gun II but doesn't rely on your weapons system, AND it's a four-weapon weapons-system ship. It's not bad at all. I much prefer it to the Artillery Beam, which to be honest I still think is garbage.

Also, by default it comes with a clone bay 2 zoltans, and teleporter as well - it's an amazing ship for ALL OUT OFFENSIVE. 4 weapons, boarding party to distract the people on the enemy ship, and then blow the thing up and wait for your clones to pop out! Kill your own dudes to have them explode and hurry things along!

It is the first Federation Cruiser I actually like.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:04:39 pm by GlyphGryph »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:02 pm »

Just unlocked Fed Cruiser C AND rock ship! Unfortunately, my run came to an end when the Flagship teleported its entire crew complement into my weapons room(plus mind controlling my zoltan weapons tech, but that was just being a dick at that point). Which was doubly bad since alpha striking the rocket artillery was my main way of disabling it(never did manage to pick up a teleporter, which is how I usually deal with it)

Edit: On a side note, I also fought the Flagship that was under construction in the stronghold sector. It was the main reason I decided to try to fight the real thing instead of restarting as soon as I got Fed C, due to how completely one-sided the fight was
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:51:00 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »

So I just unlocked Lanius B and holy shit is this thing sweet. Lanius boarders wreck everything and so does the advanced flak.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 243